1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
(2021-02-23)
Important Note

1. Your Synology NAS may not notify you of this DSM update because of the following reasons. If you want to update your DSM to this version now, please click hereto manually update it.
    • The update is not available in your region yet. The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.
  2. This update will restart your Synology NAS.
Compatibility & Installation

1. Enhanced the password policy. Passwords must exclude usernames and descriptions, include both upper-case and lower-case letters as well as numerical digits. The minimum password length is 8 characters.
  2. Fixed a compatibility issue between the Geminilake platform and virtual machines running Windows 10.
  3. On a newly installed version of DSM, file rename and deletion log events for SMB will be enabled by default.
What's New

1. Users can now set 10 email addresses to receive system notifications.
  2. Enhanced domain database synchronization performance by syncing only altered data.
  3. Supports bad block detection on Synology SSDs.
  4. Supports the updating of Synology HDD and SSD firmware directly via DSM.
  5. Improved fan speed control based on the Synology network interface card temperature for 19-series and newer models.
Fixed Issues

1. Fixed an issue where the "Enable Web Assistant" option didn't work on NVR216 and NVR1218.
  2. Fixed an issue where the date and time formats for scheduled tasks were inconsistent in the widget and system settings.
  3. Fixed an issue where scheduled tasks may fail to be executed or modified.
  4. Fixed an issue where tasks scheduled at a high frequency generated a lot of logs and occupied system partitions.
  5. Fixed an issue where the custom welcome text may differ on the preview and actual login page due to character limits.
  6. Fixed an issue where data could still be written to LUNs after the volume runs out of space.
  7. Fixed an issue where if Wi-Fi dongles are installed, some available network interfaces weren't listed when users edit iSCSI targets.
  8. Fixed an issue where iSCSI services may be unstable when the host is too busy or when users disable iSCSI targets and ending sessions simultaneously.
  9. Fixed an issue where initiators couldn't connect to the iSCSI target after ethernet interfaces reconnect in a high-availability cluster.
  10. Fixed an issue where packages may not operate properly when drives migrated from another Synology NAS cause volume ID conflicts.
  11. Fixed an issue where users may not be able to find their Synology NAS in My Network Places on Windows when WS-Discovery isn't operating properly.
  12. Fixed an issue where Log Center didn't record recycle bin enabling/disabling events.
  13. Fixed a security vulnerability regarding Sudo. (Synology-SA-21:02)
  14. Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities. (Synology-SA-21:03)
Limitations

1. In response to the enhancement of domain database synchronization efficiency, the domain user/group list will be updated once an hour when it is created with Synology Directory Server.

----------
source:

Have done a Realtek machine (RS819):

20210223-Synology RS819 DSM 6.2.4 Update Gimli Screenshot.png

Also an AMD Ryzen machine (RS1221+):

20210223-Synology RS1221+ DSM 6.2.4 Update Rivendell Screenshot.png

No issues with either machine with trouble-free update. Well apart from reinstalling standard packages I do not want or need... so no change there.

I'll do the Armada and Atom machines at the weekend.

:coffee:

Interestingly, the original change notes for v6.2.4 included...

"Adds drive compatibility information to notify users that some drives are not available for selection due to compatibility issues."

... which has since been retracted.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the original change notes for v6.2.4 included...

"Adds drive compatibility information to notify users that some drives are not available for selection due to compatibility issues."

... which has since been retracted.

I have updated successfully.
However, on my DS218+, an SSD drive (SanDisk Ultra II) on eSATA configured to work as an internal drive (Volume2) is now not readable. The drive is shown in Control Panel > External Devices but as unknown device, with no manufacturer/model data (partitions are listed).
I don't like this update...
-- post merged: --

I have updated successfully.
However, on my DS218+, an SSD drive (SanDisk Ultra II) on eSATA configured to work as an internal drive (Volume2) is now not readable. The drive is shown in Control Panel > External Devices but as unknown device, with no manufacturer/model data (partitions are listed).
I don't like this update...
The update has rewritten my /etc/synoinfo.conf and changed maxdisks="3" to maxdisks="2".
And even though I have corrected it back and restarted it, it still doesn't work as previously...
Also tried to diff the original .conf with latest and there is one completely new block:
# Fixed items
support_synodrive_ability="no"
root_device_synopartition="yes"
root_on_isolated_disk="no"
support_wol_but_not_enable_ui="no"
support_led_behavior_v2="yes"
internal_disk_without_led_mask="no"
support_raid_dummy_read="no"
support_oob_ctl="no"

@Robbie, would appreciate guidance on that. Thanks!
Code:
1.    Enable SSH via Control Panel > Terminal & SNMP > Enable SSH service and make a note of the Port in use if you do not have it set to the Port 22 default.

2.    SSH into the NAS using a suitable utility (eg macOS Terminal) using an admin account in the format, eg:

ssh [email protected]
    ssh rob@gimli  -p 22
    ssh rob@gimli

3.    Enter password of the DSM admin account used above.

4.    To gain full access type sudo -i [enter]:

Rob@Gimli:/$ sudo -i
        root@Gimli:~#

5.    You are now signed into the NAS with root privileges.

6.    For managing DSM Services the following commands are used in DSM 6 (DSM 7 will be different):

synoservicecfg --list
        synoservice --status
        synoservicecfg --stop <service>
        synoservicecfg --hard-stop <service>
        synoservicecfg --start <service>
        synoservicecfg --hard-start <service>
        synoservice --restart <service>
        synoservicectl --restart <service>
        synopkg uninstall <service>

Worked Examples.

7.    To disable Universal Search:

synoservicecfg --disable pkgctl-SynoFinder

8.   To completely remove Universal Search:

synopkg uninstall SynoFinder

9.    If you need to list DSM packages to find the exact name of what you are after:

root@Gimli:~# synoservicecfg --list

apparmor
        atalk
        avahi
        [etc...snip]
        pkgctl-FileStation
        pkgctl-HyperBackupVault
        pkgctl-OAuthService
        pkgctl-SynoFinder
        [etc...snip]
        winbindd
    root@Gimli:~#

10.    If you need more help:

root@Gimli:~# synoservicecfg ?
        Copyright (c) 2003-2020 Synology Inc. All rights reserved.

SynoService Tool Help (Version 25426)
        Usage: synoservice
        --is-enabled            [ServiceName]            Check if the service is enabled
        --status                [ServiceName]            Get the status of specified services
        --enable                [ServiceName]            Set runkey to yes and start the service (alias to --start)
        [etc...snip]

11.    To logout of root admin account:

root@Gimli:~# logout
        Rob@Gimli:/$ exit

12.    Logout and back in again to DSM to confirm service has been disable, restarted or or removed as required.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs if you are already a CLI Ninja; equally, if you need more help then ask away and someone will know. The CLI is a great place to give packages a kick.

No apologies necessary; thing is, when I tried synoservice --list, download station was not among the packages listed.
And attempting to stop it using synoservicecfg --stop download (which is its service name) didn't do anything.
At this point, I've reverted back to the immediately preceding version of DSM, but of course lost all the settings that are not backed up by the settings backup utility.

Hey @Telos -

First, you need to manually edit /etc.defaults/VERSION to a version that is PRIOR to the MAJOR release of the firmware you want to downgrade to. In this case, I needed to downgrade to 6.2.3-25426.
So I would edit etc.defaults/VERSION to something like

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
buildphase="GR"
buildnumber="25044"
smallfixnumber="0"
builddate="2020/03/17" (or whatever, as long as it's prior to the release date of the one you're installing)

(You can get old version numbers from the release notes for DSM.

Then, when you go to Control Panel / Update, it'll let you install the version you want, because the system thinks it's newer than the one you have. The catch is that if any of the apps you have installed are compatible with the new version of the OS, but not the old, you may run into problems. So it's a good idea to keep the old .spk files on hand as well.

Sorry, I was doing some of this from memory - it probably is "GM," if that's what you're seeing.
GM seems to be the code for a major release - that is, with no hypenate -1, -2 or whatever at the end.
I wrote GR, incorrectly, because I was thinking "General Release". "Hotfix" would be for one with a -1, -2 etc.
No idea what "0" means. But you would never downgrade to a hotfix release, because the hotfix release is a small file that modifies the general release version that you already have installed. So you always have to downgrade to the most recent major release prior to the one you're getting rid of.

Yes... though I'd still love to find out how to get Download Station working under the newer version of the OS... is anyone else having the same problem I am? Or, alternatively, is it WORKING for anyone else? Am I the only one still using Download Station? :)

Yes... though I'd still love to find out how to get Download Station working under the newer version of the OS... is anyone else having the same problem I am? Or, alternatively, is it WORKING for anyone else? Am I the only one still using Download Station? :)
I haven’t used it in years. How about docker alternative?

I haven’t used it in years. How about docker alternative?
To be clear, I'm perfectly happy with Download Station... if I can get it to work with the latest version of DSM! My preference would be to solve that problem, rather than install a new downloader.

Hi everybody!
Anyone having problems with 2FA login in mobile apps (Android) after the DSM 6.2.4-25554 update? I updated my device, everything works fine, even 2FA login into DSM from Windows. But all my mobile apps say "wrong code, try again later". :(
As I said, when I login from my PC (Windows device), everything works.
I tried another user's device and no problem. I tried next one user and some apps login OK (DS audio, DS video), some say "wrong username or password".

OK, I disabled the2FA in my DSM account and re-created again, so new 2FA number code is created. Still the same problem when I try to login with my mobile apps...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.