1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
(2021-03-08)
Important Note

1. Your Synology NAS may not notify you of this DSM update because of the following reasons. If you want to update your DSM to this version now, please click hereto manually update it. Only Synology NAS with DSM 6.2.3 installed can be updated to this version.
    • The update is not available in your region yet. The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.
  2. This update includes fixes to the below issues mentioned in 6.2.4-25554.
    • Fixed an issue where external hard drives couldn't wake from hibernation on certain platforms (Grantley, Broadwell, Broadwellnk, Purley).
    • Fixed an issue where users could not sign in to Synology mobile apps after they had cleared the remembered device list in DSM 6.2.4.
  3. This update will restart your Synology NAS.
  4. Integrates the beep control options for degraded/crashed volumes and abnormal SSD caches.
  5. The new LED indicator behavior makes the system status easier to distinguish on 15-series and newer models. (Learn more)
  6. DNS Server must be updated to version 2.2.3-5028 or above to be compatible with this update.
  7. LDAP Server must be updated to version 2.4.49-2515 or above to be compatible with this update.
Compatibility & Installation

1. Enhanced the password policy. Passwords must exclude usernames and descriptions, include both upper-case and lower-case letters as well as numerical digits. The minimum password length is 8 characters.
  2. Fixed a compatibility issue between the Geminilake platform and virtual machines running Windows 10.
  3. On a newly installed version of DSM, file rename and deletion log events for SMB will be enabled by default.
What's New

1. Users can now set 10 email addresses to receive system notifications.
  2. Enhanced domain database synchronization performance by syncing only altered data.
  3. Supports bad block detection on Synology SSDs.
  4. Supports the updating of Synology HDD and SSD firmware directly via DSM.
  5. Improved fan speed control based on the Synology network interface card temperature for 19-series and newer models.
Fixed Issues

1. Fixed an issue where the "Enable Web Assistant" option didn't work on NVR216 and NVR1218.
  2. Fixed an issue where the date and time formats for scheduled tasks were inconsistent in the widget and system settings.
  3. Fixed an issue where scheduled tasks may fail to be executed or modified.
  4. Fixed an issue where tasks scheduled at a high frequency generated a lot of logs and occupied system partitions.
  5. Fixed an issue where the custom welcome text may differ on the preview and actual login page due to character limits.
  6. Fixed an issue where data could still be written to LUNs after the volume runs out of space.
  7. Fixed an issue where if Wi-Fi dongles are installed, some available network interfaces weren't listed when users edit iSCSI targets.
  8. Fixed an issue where iSCSI services may be unstable when the host is too busy or when users disable iSCSI targets and ending sessions simultaneously.
  9. Fixed an issue where initiators couldn't connect to the iSCSI target after ethernet interfaces reconnect in a high-availability cluster.
  10. Fixed an issue where packages may not operate properly when drives migrated from another Synology NAS cause volume ID conflicts.
  11. Fixed an issue where users may not be able to find their Synology NAS in My Network Places on Windows when WS-Discovery isn't operating properly.
  12. Fixed an issue where Log Center didn't record recycle bin enabling/disabling events.
  13. Fixed a security vulnerability regarding Sudo. (Synology-SA-21:02)
  14. Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities. (Synology-SA-21:03)
Limitations

1. In response to the enhancement of domain database synchronization efficiency, the domain user/group list will be updated once an hour when it is created with Synology Directory Server.
--------
source: DSM Release Discussions

Last edited:
I did an update to DSM 6.2.4-25556 and now the NAS devices (2 of them) are no longer appearing as Computers in Network - Windows 10 Pro (20H2) x64. Yes, WS-Discovery is enabled on the NAS.

In the Release Note (Fixed Issues) above there is this, I suspect something broke:
11. Fixed an issue where users may not be able to find their Synology NAS in My Network Places on Windows when WS-Discovery isn't operating properly.

The NAS devices are still accessible (e.g., \\NAS), they just don't show in File Explorer / Network.

I wish I could. Explicit addressing of network shares works fine for us tech types, but not for users in the general population. Especially when new servers / shares are coming online all the time are they are in our use case.

Interestingly enough, Bonjour / SMB 3.0 works just fine, Macs can browse the shares without an issue.

Noticed this update came out yesterday. There are [currently] only updates for DS414j and DS216play.

Version: 6.2.4-25556 Update 1​

(2021-04-01)
Important Note
  1. Your Synology NAS may not notify you of this DSM update because of the following reasons. If you want to update your DSM to this version now, please click hereto manually update it. Only Synology NAS with DSM 6.2.4 installed can be updated to this version.
    • The update is not available in your region yet. The update is expected to be available for all regions within the next few days, although the time of release in each region may vary slightly.
  2. This update will restart your Synology NAS.
Fixed Issues
  1. Fixed an issue where the system might not be able to install or run some services successfully after being updated to DSM 6.2.4.

fredbert: Thank you for that hint. I did a power off / restart on the NAS devices and that fixed it! I'm so used to not having to do "theraputic reboots" that this never occurred to me. I much appreciate the help.

A troubling discovery... User reported that they are no longer able to log in as "admin"...

1617703883_sRe9V.jpg

1617703903_nSz37.jpg

And after performing "reset" the default admin account was useless. So the user cannot access their machine as an administrator.

This change(?) is unmentioned in the v6.2.4 change log... or it's another bug foisted upon users by the hapless Synology programmers.

That is not universal. I also received that same warning upon restart with the new 6.2.4 update. I had put a very strong (password manager generated) password AND two-factor OTP on the default admin account, but gave up and disabled it outright as that was the only way to avoid that annoying warning. The default account did work -- I tested it -- before I disabled it.

Does anyone on the new update know if they've fixed startup scripts?
Mine were working perfectly until I updated to 25554 and they haven't worked since.

That is not universal. I also received that same warning upon restart with the new 6.2.4 update. I had put a very strong (password manager generated) password AND two-factor OTP on the default admin account, but gave up and disabled it outright as that was the only way to avoid that annoying warning.
Someone posted that this is browser specific. Firefox and Safari seem unfazed. Chrome is problematic.

Compatibility & Installation

1. Enhanced the password policy. Passwords must exclude usernames and descriptions, include both upper-case and lower-case letters as well as numerical digits. The minimum password length is 8 characters.
Anyone, will this be a problem for my users who only have lower-case and numerical digits in their password? Will they still be able to login after this update? Is there anyone who has a similar situation and already updated to the latest version?

Ok, yet another nail in the coffin for Synology as far as I'm concerned.
Startup scripts are still broken. - inotify and tun broken after updating. Had to manually ssh in and apply the fixes.
It also reset my docker-compose back to 1.24.0.
This sort of thing is completely pointless and incredibly unhelpful.

Anyone, will this be a problem for my users who only have lower-case and numerical digits in their password? Will they still be able to login after this update? Is there anyone who has a similar situation and already updated to the latest version?
Can't say, my passwords are mixed characters. So far no issues.

@BobW they will still have access. Though I had to go and check what it now looks like...
1617868778401.png

That release notes item may be the default for new installations of DSM. I assume, for existing DSM installs and their user accounts then there should be no change.

I dislike the forcing of some of the password rules as it removes the ability to use some password generator features, such as N random words to make a strong but more memorable password for those times you have to type the darn thing in.

I did an update to DSM 6.2.4-25556 and now the NAS devices (2 of them) are no longer appearing as Computers in Network - Windows 10 Pro (20H2) x64. Yes, WS-Discovery is enabled on the NAS.

In the Release Note (Fixed Issues) above there is this, I suspect something broke:

The NAS devices are still accessible (e.g., \\NAS), they just don't show in File Explorer / Network.
I had the same issues it's due to poorly written module. Here is the fix I used on my NAS, I have to do this almost every time there is a DSM Update. I found this solution two years ago but the original source is no longer on the official synology forums. Depending on model the code may be in one of two locations:

Code:
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/WSDiscovery.py, near line 955                    <--- Depends on NAS Model
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wsdiscovery/daemon.py, near line 177     <--  Depends on NAS Model

Original code:

for fd, event in self._poll.poll(timeout):
            sock = socket.fromfd(fd, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
            try:
                data, addr = sock.recvfrom(BUFFER_SIZE)
            except socket.error as e:
                time.sleep(0.01)
                continue

Modified code:

for fd, event in self._poll.poll(timeout):
            try:
                sock = socket.fromfd(fd, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)

data, addr = sock.recvfrom(BUFFER_SIZE)
            except socket.error as e:
                time.sleep(0.01)
                continue
Before editing the script file, I unchecked WS-Discovery in Control Panel. After editing I returned it back to it's checked state. FWIW, it's a good practice to make a copy of the original script file before editing.

@BobW they will still have access. Though I had to go and check what it now looks like...
View attachment 3375
That release notes item may be the default for new installations of DSM. I assume, for existing DSM installs and their user accounts then there should be no change.

I dislike the forcing of some of the password rules as it removes the ability to use some password generator features, such as N random words to make a strong but more memorable password for those times you have to type the darn thing in.
Thanks good to know!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.