DSM Update Version: 7.2-64561

Currently reading
DSM Update Version: 7.2-64561

I would think that 6 to 7.2 would have all sorts of hidden/untested issues in it that 7.1-7.2 would not.
It's a stepping stone approach.
1685086127648.png

Syno dropped the ball with Node.js. They have actually adopted a current version (v18) for DSM7.2 (hurray!) but if you try and load or update to Node.js 18 via the CLI the madness returns and spits out an error that Node.js 18 is not compatible with DSM7, only v16. Like what, it's what you are using yourself you dumb machine!

The DSM GUI will allow you to load Node.js 18 as a package though and everything works fine with things that use it (eg Homebridge)... but zero out of 10 for Synology's left hand being unaware of the right hand.

...and relax.

☕

It is not so scary. MariadB asked if it should delete user and databases in de-installation step.
just leave that standard ( = let the data/ dB remain on the system), and it will ask for re-import upon re-install.
Have your backup ready :-] At all times as usual.

Can connect with 'quick connect' method and was able to get into the ControlPanel File Services. It states I should be able to connect with MAC (Finder) smb://BucklandManor but when I use this I get the message (which gives me no help) screen shot below. What settings must I alter to allow log in ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 3.07.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 3.07.27 PM.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 28
I did upgrade (manually) my DS1819+, it went smoothly for the most part but sucks to lose Itunes server, as Itunes is still supported for Windows...
-- post merged: --

Syno dropped the ball with Node.js. They have actually adopted a current version (v18) for DSM7.2 (hurray!) but if you try and load or update to Node.js 18 via the CLI the madness returns and spits out an error that Node.js 18 is not compatible with DSM7, only v16. Like what, it's what you are using yourself you dumb machine!

The DSM GUI will allow you to load Node.js 18 as a package though and everything works fine with things that use it (eg Homebridge)... but zero out of 10 for Synology's left hand being unaware of the right hand.

...and relax.

☕
I noticed this incompatibility warning as well. What applications use node.js?

Did they drop support for this in 7.2, or is it just not released for this version yet?
Support is dropped. You have to uninstall the package before upgrading to 7.2. Funny thing is I don't recall seeing the announcement with 7.2 that it was no longer going to be supported, only saw it when attempting to upgrade.
-- post merged: --

Itunes is replaced by 3 different apps, and no longer shipped with Macbooks since 2019.
It is a dead end anyway, we have to get used to it.
I do not disagree with you at all on the MAC side, but Itunes remains supported in the Windows world.

Itunes is replaced by 3 different apps, and no longer shipped with Macbooks since 2019.
It is a dead end anyway, we have to get used to it.
But the Mac's replacement Music app (programme / program) still support 'iTunes sharing', it lists them as 'Home Sharing' (Apple) and 'Public Sharing' (non-Apple). Here's from my Mac's Music app and the top of the list that then shows my DSM 7.1 NAS that has iTunes Server...
1685632771424.png

I don't have any film or TV files indexed on that NAS, so can't say if they still show up. The music does show up, but for me it's a bit 'crashy'.

The Mac's apps ability to use these shared resources is pretty woeful. I did use Home Sharing between Mac and Apple TV when our video library wasn't migrated to NAS. But accessing public sharing services (like from NAS) was never integrated into iOS or tvOS (or earlier Apple TV OS), so I never found a use for the NAS based service. I moved to using Plex for this and have been happier with it.

I guess the new ways of playing using the sonos, audio-pro, plex, smart tv, bluetooth streaming phones, spotify etc etc have replaced the old itunes, the system than many of us hated anyway :-0

My media are on the NAS, but nowadays we have so many better systems to play and distribute, so I removed the itunes and will not look back

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.