Currently reading
Very slow internet

NAS
1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I've hit a wall and can't figure this out for the life of me. I'm only getting about 8mbps D/L and 7mbps U/L speed on my 1621+ (used Librespeed on Docker to test). I have a 10GbE card installed in the NAS and I'm not running a VPN on the NAS or router. I have a 1200mbps internet connection and Speedtest on my desktop computer is hitting 1000mbps. Both my desktop computer and the NAS are going into a single switch, which then connects to the router downstairs (the house is hardwired with CAT6). Transfer speeds between the desktop computer (also with 10GbE card) are about 400MB/s.

Here's what I've done so far (all without any change):

1. Stopped all Docker containers to see if any of them may be slowing everything down.

2. Swapped cables with my desktop computer

3. Swapped cables from NAS to switch

4. Tried another speedtest app through Docker which provided the same results

Any ideas of what else I can change/test to pinpoint the problem?

Can you explain your issue a bit better please?

“Transfer speeds between the desktop computer (also with 10GbE card) are about 400MB/s.”
between desktop and nas?
Is your issue connection speed from internet to the NAS?
do you set non standard SMB settings like MTU in the NAS?

Upvote 0
Can you explain your issue a bit better please?

“Transfer speeds between the desktop computer (also with 10GbE card) are about 400MB/s.”
between desktop and nas?
Is your issue connection speed from internet to the NAS?
do you set non standard SMB settings like MTU in the NAS?
I was just using the transfer speed between desktop and NAS as an example to hopefully help diagnose. The issue is the U/D speeds from the NAS to the internet. Primarily as I'm trying to stream video from my NAS when I'm not on the local network, but this problem seems to affect all non-local traffic to/from the NAS.

Upvote 0
Have you tried any other speed test tool? Like running a simple Alpine container with speedtest-cli inside it?
Yes, I tried a different Docker speed test tool ( I think it was called OpenSpeedTest) with the same results. I know the results are accurate because I can also see the same output on the DSM Resource Monitor.
-- post merged: --

How does the standard 1gbe port perform?
did you setup QOS rules or other priority settings in switch or router?
No QOS rules or priority settings, but I'll test the 1gbe port in a couple hours when I get home.

Upvote 0
another thing to eliminate: what happens if you skip the switch and connect 1:1 to the router with the nas?
This fixed it somehow! I plugged it directly into the router and got 200mbps, then I plugged into a native ethernet port on the NAS and got 1000mbps, then plugged it back into the 10GbE card and now I'm back up to 8000mbps. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.