Very slow SMB/NFS

Currently reading
Very slow SMB/NFS

Hey!
My problem is that any video software (I tried Kodi, VLC, MX Player) on my TV play videos with heavy stuttering from NFS and SMB.
My setup: DiskStation DS923+, Sony A95L (Android TV).

I'm trying to figure out the root cause and for now it seems like it's caused by my very specific setup.

Some details:
Same video files are player properly locally but with stuttering from NFS.
Happens with SMB and NFS shares.
Other protocols work fine, I can watch movies with Jellyfin app or with internal player by DLNA.
I downloaded a file from SMB using app on TV and it was downloading at 35 MiB/sec.
When video is played, NAS sends data at only 2-3 MiB/sec.
NAS is not overloaded, I have 32GB RAM, CPU and HDD usage are low.
Another Android device (tablet) can successfully play video using Kodi in the same environment.

Any ideas? Maybe you had something like that in your experience?

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be crude. Been doing this since W95R2.
You need to do a lot of speed tests, on your hardware and know the bandwidth of the files you are attempting to play. Don’t play footage your hardware can’t support.
Anything you play through will affect speed. Drive or Drives(raid), network, cpu/ram, in old times even display cards caused slowdown. You’ll find drive recording will have less useable bandwidth than drive playback will.
Playing through multiple devices will give less speed than the slowest one individually.
It can become maddening.
If you encounter dropped frames, play it repeatedly. If dropped frame occurs at same spot repeatedly, it happened during a record. It’s recorded in. If it is random, it’s a playback issue. Try a different path, or faster hardware, or file with greater compression—lower bandwidth. You may encounter some of your hardware just won’t be good enough to do what your asking it to do.
Lastly, trying to play a 50mb/sec file on a hardware path that tests at 60mb/sec will drive you crazy chasing ghosts. You want far more bandwidth than appears to be needed, so unexpected OS operations that you have no control over can execute in the background without you seeing that as dropped frames in your playbacks or recordings.

I’m not trying to be crude. Been doing this since W95R2.
You need to do a lot of speed tests, on your hardware and know the bandwidth of the files you are attempting to play. Don’t play footage your hardware can’t support.
Anything you play through will affect speed. Drive or Drives(raid), network, cpu/ram, in old times even display cards caused slowdown. You’ll find drive recording will have less useable bandwidth than drive playback will.
Playing through multiple devices will give less speed than the slowest one individually.
It can become maddening.
If you encounter dropped frames, play it repeatedly. If dropped frame occurs at same spot repeatedly, it happened during a record. It’s recorded in. If it is random, it’s a playback issue. Try a different path, or faster hardware, or file with greater compression—lower bandwidth. You may encounter some of your hardware just won’t be good enough to do what your asking it to do.
Lastly, trying to play a 50mb/sec file on a hardware path that tests at 60mb/sec will drive you crazy chasing ghosts. You want far more bandwidth than appears to be needed, so unexpected OS operations that you have no control over can execute in the background without you seeing that as dropped frames in your playbacks or recordings.
Thanks for big post.
I'm pretty sure it's not hardware support or file format issue - I can play particular movie locally without issues.
This is happening for any file format.
And I can download that movie using the same hardware with full speed.
What kind of record during playback are you talking about?
This is more like trying to play 50mb/sec movie with bandwidth of 10mb/sec.

Last edited:
No. You’ll find drive recording will have less bandwidth than same drive playback has.
I do video editing, BR/DVD Authoring, as a hobby, now that I retired, (network, prior) where dropped frames during recording or playback is an issue.
Are you going through Ethernet during slow speed? Are you comfortable with your cable quality? I bought new CAT6 EBay cables that passed LED tester, but failed a cable tester test! And symptoms were slow speed, and erratic 100/1000 LED indicators. Had to test everything and replaced/tossed many cables. I do not install any cables but GB, and cable test first before installing. You can get a good quality small managed switch with cable test routine for ~$20.. to test your cables.

Even with that, Here, where, for most part, I can play many SD/HD Formats through a GB network… I do not attempt playing real high bandwidth media through a network. For high bandwidth media: Get it on fast HDD/SSD/Raid locally, first, then play. My $.02

Hey!
My problem is that any video software (I tried Kodi, VLC, MX Player) on my TV play videos with heavy stuttering from NFS and SMB.
My setup: DiskStation DS923+, Sony A95L (Android TV).

I'm trying to figure out the root cause and for now it seems like it's caused by my very specific setup.

Some details:
Same video files are player properly locally but with stuttering from NFS.
Happens with SMB and NFS shares.
Other protocols work fine, I can watch movies with Jellyfin app or with internal player by DLNA.
I downloaded a file from SMB using app on TV and it was downloading at 35 MiB/sec.
When video is played, NAS sends data at only 2-3 MiB/sec.
NAS is not overloaded, I have 32GB RAM, CPU and HDD usage are low.
Another Android device (tablet) can successfully play video using Kodi in the same environment.

Any ideas? Maybe you had something like that in your experience?
What version of DSM are you running? I am running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield pro and on two PCs, connecting via NFS and have had no issues.

Did this issue happen to occur after this upgrade was applied? 7.2.x had an issue with NFS that was supposedly fixed, but I have not yet upgraded to it on my production DS1522+
Actually yes!
I remember it was working fine some time ago, but eventually broke. Can't remember the exact moment but may be after recent update.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.