Video choppy (but same video works on synology photos)

Currently reading
Video choppy (but same video works on synology photos)

NAS
DS213J, DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have been looking for a solution to watch my iPhone family movies on Apple TV. While I run Plex with infuse front end on Apple TV, the 4k apple movies from iPhone only play on my 4k Apple TV, and on my 1080p Apple TV and tvs it's so choppy it's u watchable. With Plex with transcoding it tells me my DS918+ is too slow to transcode, and DS Video stutters too bad to be usable.

Interestingly the synology photos app for Apple TV was finally released and the videos play quick with no lag on my 1080p Apple TV with no issues. (Found this by accident since my family movies/photos are all stored together in year/month/event folder structure).

Is there something native about synology photos making this work? Should I put all family movies into synology photos? Is this somewhere converting on the backend or is it just using the advanced extensions and ds video isn't?

Happy that this option works, just trying to figure out why only works on the photos app for Apple TV.

Thanks

Interestingly the synology photos app for Apple TV was finally released
When did that happen!?!?!?

I’ve just searched on Apple TV’s App Store app for my purchased apps and it wasn’t there. But a general search in the App Store found Synology Photos and showed I already had got it so could download.

Sorry this doesn’t help you but thanks for the info.

Could it be codec support? I haven’t looked but if the iPhone movies are using HEVC (h.265) then maybe there is some app able to transcode on the Apple TV, and others don’t. Or could be Synology Photos has cached a smaller version, if it does that.
The same video plays fine on synology photos but will not play on synology ds video app. I would think synology apps aren't using different codecs between them?

When did that happen!?!?!?

I’ve just searched on Apple TV’s App Store app for my purchased apps and it wasn’t there. But a general search in the App Store found Synology Photos and showed I already had got it so could download.

Sorry this doesn’t help you but thanks for the info.
FYI it's pretty slick. I switched from Apple photos to synology photos with multiple user support and can't be happier, and the Apple TV app is the final thing I have been waiting for.

The same video plays fine on synology photos but will not play on synology ds video app. I would think synology apps aren't using different codecs between them?
This is true, They are using others codecs. I suggest to you to try with this wrapper for Video Station:

Best regards.

This is true, They are using others codecs. I suggest to you to try with this wrapper for Video Station:

Best regards.
Great, that makes sense different codecs. I'll give this a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.