Video editing storage suggestions for 2-3 editors

Currently reading
Video editing storage suggestions for 2-3 editors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi all, nice to meet you!

I was just hoping to get some recommendations to help me get started in my research for a storage solution for our office.
Myself and another colleague are video editors (Adobe Suite), we generally edit fairly high resolution media, up to 8k resolution, so fast storage is a requirement. We currently edit on SSDs and this gets us by ok.

For collaborative projects we want to start working off shared storage using some of Adobes team sharing features.

Can anybody recommend a Synology configuration that would work well for us. To start with it would just be the two of us, but it would be good to cater for a third editor in the future. Neither of our machines (Windows) have native 10Gbpe off the motherboards so I imagine we will need to add PCI cards for this.

Total storage wouldn't need to exceed 8TB of accessible storage, and our budget is tight so we would be looking for a best bang for buck solution.

Thanks a ton for any advice, would love to hear any suggestions.

tell me more about the sources for the editing:
- it’s a RAW or compressed for each diff source edited
- max fps for the common source by resolution (e.g 60/8k)
- max. and average size of the single shoot (e.g. 1.2GB)
- single project sources total capacity (e.g. 800GB)

your workstations setup:
- custom build or vendor product
- internal disks and their purposes
- free PCI-e 3.0 x4 slot (check the MoBo for really operated lanes, when others you have already utilized)

what is your “tiny” budget expectation?

then we can continue

Hi all, nice to meet you!

I was just hoping to get some recommendations to help me get started in my research for a storage solution for our office.
Myself and another colleague are video editors (Adobe Suite), we generally edit fairly high resolution media, up to 8k resolution, so fast storage is a requirement. We currently edit on SSDs and this gets us by ok.

For collaborative projects we want to start working off shared storage using some of Adobes team sharing features.

Can anybody recommend a Synology configuration that would work well for us. To start with it would just be the two of us, but it would be good to cater for a third editor in the future. Neither of our machines (Windows) have native 10Gbpe off the motherboards so I imagine we will need to add PCI cards for this.

Total storage wouldn't need to exceed 8TB of accessible storage, and our budget is tight so we would be looking for a best bang for buck solution.

Thanks a ton for any advice, would love to hear any suggestions.
With multi collaboration scenario like yours, and without any other details, you are def looking for a 10G capable NAS that either has built-in 10G or as an option. Focus on the '+' lineup models that will fit your budget but also will give you room to grow (6bay or more) just so you are future proof a bit more.

10G switch with cat6a or better cables and ofc 10G cards on your end devices.

As @jeyare said, the more info you give, the more detailed answer you will get. Money will be a factor here, so do share your overall budget (including NAS, drives, network upgrades, the works).

Last edited:
Hi @jeyare and @Rusty
Thanks for the initial thoughts.

So here are some more details:

If the footage is within 4K we often get by with H264 (which is what some of the cameras we use encode - specialty virtual reality cameras).
If we find H264 too slow to edit with, we will go to either ProRes or DNxHR.
Generally 30fps.
Single project size requirements are usually around 2TB. Can have a few projects on at the same time, thus the recommendation for 8TB of available storage.

Workstations are a mix:
Custom built with AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, AS-X570 ATX, Windows SSD + m2 Scratch + 2 x 2TB SSDs for work
HP Z6-G4 Workstation with 2 x Xeon 5122 CPU, Windows SSD + 3 x 2TB SSDs for work
Both have free PCI x4 Slot in the mobo.

Budget would want to be less than $7K for everything, give or take. If SSDs can be used, we do currently have 6 x 2TB Samsung 850 SSDs spare.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
-- post merged: --

Can you also advise me, is there a benefit to raiding SSDs vs HDDs these days in a NAS?

Q1: Please be specific for the>
m2 Scratch + 2 x 2TB SSDs for work .... models, RAID (if any)
same for the HP workstation

Q2: is the 8K target to next 3y or just a wish to be ready? Means what is your next 3y 90% source of income 4k or 8k related?

Q3: unanswered - max. and average size of the single shoot with the camera source = part of the single 2TB project.

Q4: rendering file capacity - max. and average size of the single rendered file

Q5: capacity of current project archive - means how much capacity do you need to create standardized archive of finished project till now

Your expected operation mode - please point out each single scenario, edit it and send the final stage:
- the Sources (raw shoots) are available in single shared library for every project members for a Post processing
- the Sources are every always strictly connected with a specific project (no reuse), or the Sources are also used for other currently opened projects.
- the Project data are available in same/different shared library, than the Sources for every project members (this doesn't make an impact to expected cooperation, but it makes impact to the performance needed)
- the Post processing means, that the Sources you doesn't need to future (you have stored new Post processed data), then you can delete the original Sources data, or do you need the Sources data for next reuse (diff project, diff post processing, project upgrade, ...)
- the Project data currently is running will be kept in the workstation primary (where) then transferred to the NAS or operated directly from the NAS
- a final rendering will be generated into workstations primary (where), then transferred to the NAS or saved directly to the NAS
- backup of the data - the Sources, the Project data/rendering together or separately
- an archive of the finished projects data needs to be available as part of the Sources or independently on demand
- availability of the Sources/Project data/Archive by LAN or also by WAN - by sure your real operation or just wishes

When WAN data exchange is requested, then describe your current WAN connection background:
- data line (FTTx, xDSL, cable, ...)
- retail or enterprise product (SLA level based)
- official line performance by the data product definition, e.g. Download:1024Mb/s Upload:126MB/s
- real line performance during your project operation time

Seems to be more Q/A, but it makes sense for cost effective/performance driven recommendation, than "just buy this NAS".
Then we can open final stage discussion about RAID benefits, HDD vs SSD or another important parts of the data operation architecture.

@Rusty
feel free Luka to do it, it was one of old idea to provide a basic questionnaire to better understanding of the intent for the OP and forum members. Because for one the "Video editing" means something different that for others. What is OK. Except Rob Andrews - he would also recommend a welding machine for the video editing on behalf of the affiliate fee from Amazon.

@jheks
just curious re 30fps and VR:
- is it the Source frame rate?
- or the Rendering frame rate?
because I know how is problematic everything under 90fps in final footage for the VR purposes (a headache), up to a result that the final footage uses only static photos for input (360 a so on)
Take it just out of the main questionnaire.

Q1: Please be specific for the>
m2 Scratch + 2 x 2TB SSDs for work .... models, RAID (if any)
same for the HP workstation

Q2: is the 8K target to next 3y or just a wish to be ready? Means what is your next 3y 90% source of income 4k or 8k related?

Q3: unanswered - max. and average size of the single shoot with the camera source = part of the single 2TB project.

Q4: rendering file capacity - max. and average size of the single rendered file

Q5: capacity of current project archive - means how much capacity do you need to create standardized archive of finished project till now

Your expected operation mode - please point out each single scenario, edit it and send the final stage:
- the Sources (raw shoots) are available in single shared library for every project members for a Post processing
- the Sources are every always strictly connected with a specific project (no reuse), or the Sources are also used for other currently opened projects.
- the Project data are available in same/different shared library, than the Sources for every project members (this doesn't make an impact to expected cooperation, but it makes impact to the performance needed)
- the Post processing means, that the Sources you doesn't need to future (you have stored new Post processed data), then you can delete the original Sources data, or do you need the Sources data for next reuse (diff project, diff post processing, project upgrade, ...)
- the Project data currently is running will be kept in the workstation primary (where) then transferred to the NAS or operated directly from the NAS
- a final rendering will be generated into workstations primary (where), then transferred to the NAS or saved directly to the NAS
- backup of the data - the Sources, the Project data/rendering together or separately
- an archive of the finished projects data needs to be available as part of the Sources or independently on demand
- availability of the Sources/Project data/Archive by LAN or also by WAN - by sure your real operation or just wishes

When WAN data exchange is requested, then describe your current WAN connection background:
- data line (FTTx, xDSL, cable, ...)
- retail or enterprise product (SLA level based)
- official line performance by the data product definition, e.g. Download:1024Mb/s Upload:126MB/s
- real line performance during your project operation time

Seems to be more Q/A, but it makes sense for cost effective/performance driven recommendation, than "just buy this NAS".
Then we can open final stage discussion about RAID benefits, HDD vs SSD or another important parts of the data operation architecture.
Thanks @jeyare I will reply to this as best as I can in the limited time I've got right now and this will be the extent of the info I can provide for now. Appreciate the help, thanks.

Q1 - m2: Samsung 960, all other SSDs are Samsung Evo 850s. No Raid.
Q2 - Current workflow mostly 4k x 4k, moving to 8k x 4k likely 2022.
Q3 - Shoot = 500GB - 1TB. Entire Project including raw footage = Approx 2TB.
Q4 - Rendered file size - approx 500GB-1TB of rendered files per project
Q5 - Archive size - 2TB including raw footage.

Your expected operation mode - I have edited and confirmed the following:
- the Sources (raw shoots) are available in single shared library for every project members for a Post processing - YES
- the Sources are every always strictly connected with a specific project (no reuse) - YES
- the Project data are available in same shared library, than the Sources for every project members - YES
- the Post processing means, that the Sources you doesn't need to future. - NO, we will always archive source media, but it can be archived off the NAS (on LTO for instance) once the project is finished. During the edit, we keep raw media online on fast SSD storage because we often access it directly in the edit projects.
- the Project data currently is running will be kept in the workstation primary (where) then transferred to the NAS or operated directly from the NAS - This is up for discussion, if performance is ok, it would be preferable for both editors to be working directly off the NAS with all project data on the NAS. Generally wanting to avoid having to move files from workstations to NAS storage and having to relink media etc.
- a final rendering will be generated into workstations primary (where), then transferred to the NAS or saved directly to the NAS - YES, I don't mind if rendered files get rendered to a workstation before moving them to the NAS.
- backup of the data - the Sources, the Project data/rendering together - YES, final archive contains everything. Day to day backup just needs to contain project data as raw media will be always be duplicated and archived offline for safety. Backups do not necessarily need to take place on the NAS, they can go to external drive etc.
- an archive of the finished projects data needs to be available as part of the Sources - YES
- availability of the Sources/Project data/Archive by LAN - YES LAN only.

At this point in time, not concerned about wireless connectivity, the two machines and NAS are all within a few metres and can be cabled.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

@Rusty
feel free Luka to do it, it was one of old idea to provide a basic questionnaire to better understanding of the intent for the OP and forum members. Because for one the "Video editing" means something different that for others. What is OK. Except Rob Andrews - he would also recommend a welding machine for the video editing on behalf of the affiliate fee from Amazon.

@jheks
just curious re 30fps and VR:
- is it the Source frame rate?
- or the Rendering frame rate?
because I know how is problematic everything under 90fps in final footage for the VR purposes (a headache), up to a result that the final footage uses only static photos for input (360 a so on)
Take it just out of the main questionnaire.
Source and rendered.
May go to 60fps in 2022.
90fps+ refers to fps for games, not fps for video. 30fps+ is adequate.

better,
just not sure if it was correctly understand:
your existing archive for all projects finished till now: is about 2TB only? Just to be sure.

Final check for the data capacity growth in time:
Existing jobs 4k/30fps H.264 or ProRes or DNxHR based on Adobe Suite WinOS (Premiere Pro because you need work with ProRes in Windows)
Entire project (raw, post processing) is about 2TB
+ rendering is about 1TB (max was taken)

your target for the near future upgrade is
8k/60fps

and here is the place for your small excel based homework:
1. we have definition of the data capacity
2. how much such projects did you expect yearly?
3. pls take into account your expected 8k/60fps jobs upgrade
4. and also mix of codecs used in your jobs because:

while H.264 in UHD is about 40Mb/s data capacity eating
then ProRes422 in UHD is from 145Mb/s to 707Mb/s (Proxy, plain, LT, HQ)
then ProRes4444 in UHD is from 1061Mb/s to 1591Mb/s ( w or w/o alpha)
then DNxHR in UHD is from 144Mb/s to 1399Mb/s (LB ....444)

no one except you can consider the mix of scenarios what makes heavy impact to the data capacity needed.
What I need is the data capacity for next 3y (include yearly increment) in these categories:
1. Sources
2. Project except sources (project files and post processing)
3. Renderings
all others will be derived from above

@jeyare thanks, I don't think you need to over analyse it, at this stage in time I am happy with approx 10TB of storage on the NAS (not including raid redundancy). It will never hold more than a few 2TB projects at a time, everything else can be moved into cheaper/offline storage once its completed. The purpose of this is for fast shared storage for 2 editors to be able to work on the same projects simultaneously.

understand, it's a fast era
then you can purchase any box with 10TB final capacity and it's done

last comment:
just don't be surprised with the heavy bottleneck from Samsung Evo 850s operated now in the workstations, in case when you will use 10G LAN between NAS and workstations. .... one of the reason/finding of the "big" questionnaire.

Hmm, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. It can be difficult to fully express oneself in a second language: I don't have one so you're stuck with overly-wordy english.

I can't give you any recommendation ether but there are some Synology resources I've seen.

The issue you'll have is LAN speed connection and disk access (r/w) speed, obviously. The Synology range only starts to support 10 GbE from six bays and higher.
If you want SAS support then they start at 12 bays and higher.

So your starting point is the DS1621+ or DS1621xs+, unless you want a rackable unit then look at the RS line.

Hmm, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm. It can be difficult to fully express oneself in a second language: I don't have one so you're stuck with overly-wordy english.

I can't give you any recommendation ether but there are some Synology resources I've seen.

The issue you'll have is LAN speed connection and disk access (r/w) speed, obviously. The Synology range only starts to support 10 GbE from six bays and higher.
If you want SAS support then they start at 12 bays and higher.

So your starting point is the DS1621+ or DS1621xs+, unless you want a rackable unit then look at the RS line.
Thanks, appreciate the suggestions and the resources, Ill look into them closely.

a lot of variables there for the performance driven and careless architecture under 7k budget for OP’s operation. The plan is achievable for some with a passion. Otherwise you will purchase just box with bays and disks. What is frequently out of expected scenarios - many times I have seen here. Sometime one more missing bay in the NAS box is a gap between average and perfect. Or just diff CPU.
You can lead horse to the water, but you can’t make it drink.

FAF28DA4-7C92-4665-8827-6F96E2F5D7BE.jpeg

you have no idea how right you got it ;)

I'm starting to get tired of the smell caused by that there's no time for anything. Everything needs to be done quickly, without hesitation. Question -> Answer -> Consumption. In the end, the guy from nascompares does it best. He doesn't care what he writes, especially if he gets another affiliated click. Many time busted here. Fast era here.

I'm constantly amazed at how people invest in something to help them monetize their data, not to mention protecting it. As when buying pastries.

FYI: Readers of this thread may also be interested in this guide.
here is a short review of the review:

You are relentless.

Speaking of time, maybe you should have taken the time to read the first sentence of my post.
"I was just hoping to get some recommendations to help me get started in my research for a storage solution for our office."

I'm outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.