Video Station - TV Show Episode Metadata (fixing)

Currently reading
Video Station - TV Show Episode Metadata (fixing)

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I just started using Video Station on my DS220j running DSM 7.0.1. Slowly building up my TV show collection. I was doing backup of my colllection so I figure I may as well use Video Station to make it organized and also allow me to stream to my other devices.

So far it's been working out okay but I noticed a pretty major issue when getting metadata from The Movie Database Video Info Plugin. I did read the instruction online and renamed all my files in the recommended format ShowName.Sxx.Eyy. The ones I seem to always have trouble with are the shows that have an updated series. For example, DuckTales 1987 and DuckTales 2017. I only have 1987 collection and the data it found and matched with is the 2017 version so everything is wrong. I manually edit the TV Show info to match the 1987 metadata (using Edit and Search for the data thru the video info plugin) and got that sorted. The problem is the app is not smart enough to automatically fix all the metadata for all the episodes. I ended up manually editing each episode info and search thru plugin to correct each one but you can imagine that took awhile. It is pretty painful. With my entry level NAS, I can't install too many packages (limited memory). That's why I am only using video station and nothing else for this. I am aware that there other better apps/packages for DSM from reading other forum posts but I am worried it will slow my NAS to a crawl or worst (crashing it)...

Before I manually fixed everything, I tried renaming the files to DuckTales (1987).S01.E01 format but that didn't help, still got the wrong data. There are other shows in similar situation and it will take forever to fix up every single one so I am hoping you know a better way to do this. I was thinking about triggering re-indexing but I wouldn't think that will help because it will likely mean getting the wrong metadata again.

Thanks in advance.

The problem is the app is not smart enough to automatically fix all the metadata for all the episodes.
Yes, I've noticed that too. It's a bit of a pain and one reason I mostly use Plex now, that and the metadata fixing is better and quicker (bulk changes etc). The DS220j isn't powerful enough to do transcoding, at least not real time video, but should be ok for direct play streaming.

It may be possible to rename with the year in the name, but you might have to first move the files out of the indexed folder first... make VS think it's the first time it has seen the files when you copy them back in.

If the majority of your files are correctly tagged then I have found it's just easier to resign oneself to the tedious task of going episode by episode and fixing the data. Then....

Once you've corrected the VS metadata the fixed films/episodes should have changed to locked. One thing that helps preserve the changes is to export each library's data as .vsmeta files. These will be used if the database needs to be rebuilt.
1653342863095.png

Last edited:
I'm using Video Station from many months now, and I have to say that most of the time, it find the proper TV show, if you use this structure:
Code:
NAME (YEAR)/Season XX/NAME.SXX.EXX.mkv

So for example:
Code:
DuckTales (1987)/Season 01/DuckTales.S01.E01.Treasure of the Golden Suns.mkv

The episode name is optional.
But yes if it don't find the right one, then you need to go with the Folder View and change every single episode unfortunately.

I have done a test, and yes, DuckTales (1987) is found like DuckTales (2017) also for me. Must be fixed manually.

Tip for others case: if a TV Show or a Movie, isn't listed on the search result, I found that by searching the "original title name", if is on a different language, like Japanese, then it will find the right one on your language.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It's a bit of a pain and one reason I mostly use Plex now, that and the metadata fixing is better and quicker (bulk changes etc). The DS220j isn't powerful enough to do transcoding, at least not real time video, but should be ok for direct play streaming.

It may be possible to rename with the year in the name, but you might have to first move the files out of the indexed folder first... make VS think it's the first time it has seen the files when you copy them back in.

If the majority of your files are correctly tagged then I have found it's just easier to resign oneself to the tedious task of going episode by episode and fixing the data. Then....

Once you've corrected the VS metadata the fixed films/episodes should have changed to locked. One thing that helps preserve the changes is to export each library's data as .vsmeta files. These will be used if the database needs to be rebuilt.
View attachment 9830
Yeah. I tried putting the year in the name, didn't help and still matched with the wrong metadata. Thanks for the tip about exporting the data as a backup. That's a good point especially after investing a bunch of time fixing them manually!
-- post merged: --

I'm using Video Station from many months now, and I have to say that most of the time, it find the proper TV show, if you use this structure:
Code:
NAME (YEAR)/Season XX/NAME.SXX.EXX.mkv

So for example:
Code:
DuckTales (1987)/Season 01/DuckTales.S01.E01.Treasure of the Golden Suns.mkv

The episode name is optional.
But yes if it don't find the right one, then you need to go with the Folder View and change every single episode unfortunately.

I have done a test, and yes, DuckTales (1987) is found like DuckTales (2017) also for me. Must be fixed manually.

Tip for others case: if a TV Show or a Movie, isn't listed on the search result, I found that by searching the "original title name", if is on a different language, like Japanese, then it will find the right one on your language.
I didn't know I can also organize the files by a specific directory structure. I am going to give that a try for other series in similar situation. Thanks!

While there seems to be no issue with using the old iTunes organised folder/file structures and names, I have adopted the file naming using 'Kodi' format as suggested by @marco and within 'show/season' folders . This works for both Video Station and Plex, so they use the same media folders/libraries and just needs the package unique system accounts to have assigned access.

Hi Everyone,

I just started using Video Station on my DS220j running DSM 7.0.1. Slowly building up my TV show collection. I was doing backup of my colllection so I figure I may as well use Video Station to make it organized and also allow me to stream to my other devices.

So far it's been working out okay but I noticed a pretty major issue when getting metadata from The Movie Database Video Info Plugin. I did read the instruction online and renamed all my files in the recommended format ShowName.Sxx.Eyy. The ones I seem to always have trouble with are the shows that have an updated series. For example, DuckTales 1987 and DuckTales 2017. I only have 1987 collection and the data it found and matched with is the 2017 version so everything is wrong. I manually edit the TV Show info to match the 1987 metadata (using Edit and Search for the data thru the video info plugin) and got that sorted. The problem is the app is not smart enough to automatically fix all the metadata for all the episodes. I ended up manually editing each episode info and search thru plugin to correct each one but you can imagine that took awhile. It is pretty painful. With my entry level NAS, I can't install too many packages (limited memory). That's why I am only using video station and nothing else for this. I am aware that there other better apps/packages for DSM from reading other forum posts but I am worried it will slow my NAS to a crawl or worst (crashing it)...

Before I manually fixed everything, I tried renaming the files to DuckTales (1987).S01.E01 format but that didn't help, still got the wrong data. There are other shows in similar situation and it will take forever to fix up every single one so I am hoping you know a better way to do this. I was thinking about triggering re-indexing but I wouldn't think that will help because it will likely mean getting the wrong metadata again.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for all the advice. Just want to provide a quick update.
I have another TV Show that is in a similar situation. Amazing Stories. There is a 1985 series and a 2020 series. I have the 1985 collection.
I wish I can say it all worked out. Unfortunately, nothing I tried worked.

Here are the diff ways I tested.
1) Using the Plex naming - /Amazing Stories (1985)/Season 1/Amazing Stories (1985) - s01e01 - The Train.mkv
2) Using my regular naming based on VS instructions - Amazing Stories (1985)/Amazing Stories (1985) - Season 1/Amazing Stories.S01.E01 The Train.mkv
3) Using my regular naming based on VS instructions - Amazing Stories (1985)/Amazing Stories (1985) - Season 1/Amazing Stories (1985).S01.E01 The Train.mkv
They all end up getting the metadata from the 2020 series.

Too bad.

Last edited:
Video Station isn't perfect, it require time to manage it. But personally I like it.

On the TV, the best DS video app is available under Google TV (white Chromecast) and under Fire TV (Amazon stick).

Synology has many apps & services and limited developers, so is slow to improve a product, and they give of course priority to the products that provide more capital. I hope that they will be back soon to Video Station.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
There is a bug in themoviedb TVShow search plugin source code. It uses no year information at all. This often results in incorrect search results.
To fix this problem, edit the source code as follows

1) Change the permission to root after SSH connection
2) Clear Cache Data
2-1) cd /var/packages/VideoStation/target/plugins/plugin_data/com.synology.TheMovieDb/tv/query
2-2) rm *
3) Modify util_themoviedb.py
3-1) cd /var/packages/VideoStation/target/plugins/syno_themoviedb
3-2) vi util_themoviedb.py
3-3) in def _get_tv_search_data(name, lang, year, page):
change '&year=' + str(year)
to '&first_air_date_year=' + str(year)
3-4) wq (save and quit)
4) clear cache
4-1) cd __pycache__
4-2) rm *

Last edited:
There is a bug in themoviedb TVShow search plugin source code. It uses no year information at all. This often results in incorrect search results.
To fix this problem, edit the source code as follows

1) Change the permission to root after SSH connection
2) Clear Cache Data
2-1) cd /var/packages/VideoStation/target/plugins/plugin_data/com.synology.TheMovieDb/tv/query
2-2) rm *
3) Modify util_themoviedb.py
3-1) cd /var/packages/VideoStation/target/plugins/syno_themoviedb
3-2) vi util_themoviedb.py
3-3) in def _get_tv_search_data(name, lang, year, page):
change '&year=' + str(year)
to '&first_air_date_year=' + str(year)
3-4) wq (save and quit)
4) clear cache
4-1) cd __pycache__
4-2) rm *
Wow!! It works, you are a genius! Thanks!! 🤩🥳

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.