Currently reading
Viewing computers connected by VPN

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I run Synology VPN and have an offsite NAS connected through it. Devices using the VPN are given an address on network 192.168.5.x - the internal network here is 192.168.0.x.

The connection definitely works because Shared Folder Sync is syncing the local NAS to remote using a target IP of 192.168.5.6.

However - I can't work out how to browse the remote NAS shared drive, in the same way I would browse the local NAS, through file explorer in Windows (I think this is SMB share?). IE, on my laptop, when connected to the local network, I go to \\192.168.0.41 (the NAS) and can see the shares. If I type in \\192.168.5.6 in my laptop, I can't see the shares - presumably because the local NAS doesn't open up the remote VPN connection to the local network, just itself.

Is it possible to browse the remote NAS shares through my laptop? And/or would this be something to do with the OpenVPN config file?

If I understood this, you have an incoming VPN server in subnet 192.168.0.0/24. The VPN subnet is 192.168.5.0/24.

What you want is to use the laptop from the 0 subnet and access the NAS on a remote side that is using your VPN configuration to as a client to connect to your LAN.

Reason that it works nas to nas is because subnet 5 network (VPN) is a virtual network handlled by the NAS itself and NATed to your LAN subnet. But, when you try and access that same subnet your laptop has no clue how to route to subnet 5, and you get no access.

So one elegant way to do it, would be so set up site-to-site network between those 2 locations. That way you will have no issue accessing any resource in any direction and still have everything inside a tunnel.

another way would be to configure a vpn server on the remote site and use a vpn client on your laptop to connect to that remote side. The only issue with this is, if the vpn server on the remote side will also be on the same NAS as your VPN client profile that you use to connect to your current LAN, that will not work. NAS cant be client and server at the same time (if using synology packages).

Thanks @Rusty and you understood the setup perfectly.

I don't want to set up a site-to-site network - the remote site is my parent's place and they already have a pretty complex setup (my Dad is bit of a tech-head too) and I don't want to introduce the myriad issues that would come about by merging the two. I can just imagine the confusion - Mum tries to cast a song to "kitchen" and it starts playing in the wrong kitchen... nightmare!

VPN each way wouldn't work for the reason you state - the only device I want to tinker with on the remote network is the NAS.

Thinking out load - I wonder if I can solve this using either NordVPN MeshNet (which I currently use with a Raspberry Pi on my home network), or Tailscale, which I'm not familiar with but I think could be useful?

The other question is, is it possible to connect to the remote NAS through the local NAS, from my laptop, if that makes sense? Similar to the "share internet connection" in Windows (which addmitedly I haven't used for about 10 years) ?

Tailscale, which I'm not familiar with but I think could be useful?
Tail would work just fine. Install the client on all endpoint devices that you want access to/from and case closed.

The other question is, is it possible to connect to the remote NAS through the local NAS, from my laptop, if that makes sense?
You could configure remote SMB/CIFS share via File Station on your LAN an map the remote folders that way. Then, use a classic UNC path to your NAS and target its local folder that is actually a remote mount. The content should work just fine that way as well.

However - I can't work out how to browse the remote NAS shared drive, in the same way I would browse the local NAS, through file explorer in Windows (I think this is SMB share?). IE, on my laptop, when connected to the local network, I go to \\192.168.0.41 (the NAS) and can see the shares. If I type in \\192.168.5.6 in my laptop, I can't see the shares - presumably because the local NAS doesn't open up the remote VPN connection to the local network, just itself.

Have you ruled out the firewall on the nas? You may have to explicitly add the subnet to the firewall rule. Depending if you’re using all interface drop down or Lan 1, Lan 2, VPN you would have to do it accordingly.

If you have the firewall on try temporarily turning it off to test and see if you connect. If so turn it back on and work on the rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.