Question Virtual machines

Currently reading
Question Virtual machines

I would not put blame on Synology as they use what they could from open source (KVM/Redhat).
It is QEMU based, not KVM. So its a type-2 hypervisor running in userland running hardware virtualization, not kernel-space type-1 hardware-assisted virtualization.

Dynamic Binary translation on a Celeron CPU is never going to set speed records. Now, if Synology could get KVM running and use that for VMM, then we'd be seeing usable W10 VMs on a DS918.

source: What Is the Difference between QEMU and KVM?

It is QEMU based, not KVM. So its a type-2 hypervisor running in userland running hardware virtualization, not kernel-space type-1 hardware-assisted virtualization.

Dynamic Binary translation on a Celeron CPU is never going to set speed records. Now, if Synology could get KVM running and use that for VMM, then we'd be seeing usable W10 VMs on a DS918.

source: What Is the Difference between QEMU and KVM?
Thank you for correction and clarification. Yes, type-1 would be highly welcomed although it seems that Synology will stick with current solution. As we learned yesterday, on future follow-on models we can expect a very small increment in CPU department (still 4 core low-powered SoC Celeron) so nothing big there either.

As we learned yesterday, on future follow-on models we can expect a very small increment in CPU department (still 4 core low-powered SoC Celeron) so nothing big there either.
Yep, that's why I have a couple of NUCs running VMware, and just use the NAS as an NFS datastore. Even an old Gen6 i3 NUC is a decent upgrade from the Celeron J-series. A Skull Canyon NUC is even better, and they sit VERY nicely on top of a DS918, just saying.... ;-)

Sounds cozy. I was hoping to snatch NUC with 2 built-in NICs so it can host Untangle FW, but so far I fell short of finding one. There are some cheaper Chinese boxes (QOTOM) which looks OK, but I'd prefer something built with some active support.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.