Question Virtual machines

NAS
DS1815+, DS720+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Anyone using VM on your Synology? I have 3 linux vm running for testing things.
One of the 3 is my backup pihole Adblock.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2019-04-13 om 08.15.25.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-04-13 om 08.15.25.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 143
I have Win10 LTSC version atm just if I ever need something to run on that crap os. Apart from that most others VMs are on a TB external enclosure with 2x512GB SSDs in RAID0
:ROFLMAO:
How do you find it? I found it almost unbearably slow on the DS918+ even with write caching. did you tweak the install / config?

:ROFLMAO:
How do you find it? I found it almost unbearably slow on the DS918+ even with write caching. did you tweak the install / config?
Its working fine, not as fast as the same instance on a TB RAID0 enclosure but for some light works its ok. In the near future I'll be swithing both 718 and 918 to all SSD storage and then it will fly ;).

If we all get nvme as a usable volume and not just cache in DSM7 that will make 918 a proper beast.

@itsjasper are you running LTSC version as well or a full blown win10?

Its working fine, not as fast as the same instance on a TB RAID0 enclosure but for some light works its ok. In the near future I'll be swithing both 718 and 918 to all SSD storage and then it will fly ;).

If we all get nvme as a usable volume and not just cache in DSM7 that will make 918 a proper beast.

@itsjasper are you running LTSC version as well or a full blown win10?
@Rusty I was just using regular W10 Pro.

Running active Piehole VM (on top of lightweight Linux distro), Untangle firewall VM and legacy Windows 7 sandbox VM. I gave a chance on W10 Pro (regular B1809) but had it trashed as it hammered I/O at insane levels. LTSC might yield a bit better but not even close to W7.

That's what you get with Xeon and full blown SATA ports with no overshared bus. 3614 can take up to 180k IOPS and 20Gbps combined internal throughput or at least 5 times more than SSD cache tipped 918. Might improve a bit with DSM v7 with refactored SSD cache.

That's what you get with Xeon and full blown SATA ports with no overshared bus. 3614 can take up to 180k IOPS and 20Gbps combined internal throughput or at least 5 times more than SSD cache tipped 918. Might improve a bit with DSM v7 with refactored SSD cache.
i3

Did you guys really spend approx 140 euro's per VMM license?

Not a single cent. You don't need to purchase a VMM Pro license for running few VMs on Plus models. Just keep away from enterprise class virtualization demand and you're safe to go.

I installed Win10 in VMM on my DS918+ an SSD but it still pretty much unusable. Windows 7 worked pretty good in VMM, too bad Synology seems to ignore performance issues with Windows 10 (seems unlikely that it should be that much slower than Windows 7).

I installed Win10 in VMM on my DS918+ an SSD but it still pretty much unusable. Windows 7 worked pretty good in VMM, too bad Synology seems to ignore performance issues with Windows 10 (seems unlikely that it should be that much slower than Windows 7).
Using it via vnc or rdp?

I would not put blame on Synology as they use what they could from open source (KVM/Redhat). W10 is a lot more dependant on local storage, it fields much more services which use logging facility (I'm not talking about the services exposed to logged on user). We can hope those are built for various 'user experience improvement' goals or 'better stability and performance' support they like to stress quite often. Nevertheless, those differences are brutally amplified when you run VM on hardware limited machine. 918+ is a such device, let's be fair. Additional RAM you put on 2nd slot (4GB or even larger one) will only allow you to power on few more machines. Additional SSD cache drive will be of limited use as each unit share only a single PCIe 2.0 lane effectively reducing SSD throughput to 120-130MBps at very best and you cannot be sure you will get enough cache hits on associated volume. Maybe better results could be achieved with a separate volume for VMM and SSD cache to that dedicated volume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.