2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm just playing about with VMM with my two plus series NAS. The aim is to have a vDSM 6 machine for anything I may miss from DSM 7 and also to remind myself of its features, if someone here asks a question.

By running VMM on both NAS it is then just a matter of opening it on one of the NAS and using Cluster -> Add to add the two together.
1630657715924.png

For now I'm not sure if I'll really use this but it looks to be useful to migrate* vDSM VMs across the NAS, maybe even see what can be done with the storage options. Like CMS is for managed DMS and easily logging in for admin tasks, VMM cluster also centralises management of VMs on other NAS. That's pretty nice!

One thing I have tested is that the two free vDSM licences (one per NAS) can be assigned to vDSM VMs that both reside and run on just one of the NAS. So if nothing else the cluster will allow you to access a spare licence if one cluster member is smaller/loaded and hasn't the oomph you need to run a VM.

EDIT...

*needs VMM Pro licence to migrate but can move storage between cluster members. So best that can be done for free (after buying the boxes) is export a VM and import on the other NAS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.