Currently reading
Question VPN but just for 1 docker?

NAS
DS1019+ DSM6
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
bit of a strange one this, but here goes.
i run xteve in a docker on my NAS for serving IPTV, however as is the norm with some ISPs and IPTV they are getting blocked during certain times, so connecting via a VPN is required to get round it.

the IPTV hosts provides access to a surfshark VPN, but as my IPTV is being served by the NAS i would need to isntall the VPN connection on the NAS, which would then affect all services running on the NAS (dropping my downstream from 220Mbps to around 70Mbps).

is it possible to add the surfshark VPN connection on the NAS but it only apply to the xteve docker and nothing else?

i didn't mean running the VPN as a container, i meant adding it using the network settings in the DSM control panel.

it connects as an OpenVPN client connection.

ok i have the vpn container installed, configured, and running.
however, before setting any container to try and use it, how do i confirm that it is connected and running? ie how can see what WAN IP address it has compared to the other containers?

ok i have the vpn container installed, configured, and running.
however, before setting any container to try and use it, how do i confirm that it is connected and running? ie how can see what WAN IP address it has compared to the other containers?
Connect to it using the Terminal tab. Run the bash command to get a new window. Then inside it run, curl ifconfig.me command. It should return your current public WAN address that the container has.

looks like it might be a DNS issue, as when i do curl <ip address> i get a response with some html code.

looking at the command to link it to a container, it is

sudo docker run -it --net=container:VPN_CONTAINER_NAME TARGET_CONTAINER_NAME /bin/sh

however, is it possible to do this within the docker UI? so that i don't need to start it via a command?

after some playing with this, and discussion with the developer, apparently this won't work on a synology NAS.

The container is initially connected to the VPN (as you can see with the message Wed Jul 15 12:25:49 2020 Initialization Sequence Completed), but after the connection can't reach internet because the dedicated device (tun) isn't properly configured.

what would be involved in configuring it?

however, i'm not too sure the devs explanation is correct. if do a curl ifconfig.me then it fails, however if i do a curl <ip address> then i get an html response. wouldn't that suggest that it does have internet access, but it's a DNS issue instead?

wouldn't that suggest that it does have internet access, but it's a DNS issue instead?
Correct.

Try and set this docker container from a command line using docker run but add the --dns=8.8.8.8 as a parameter. You can change to whatever public DNS you want. Google dns here was just as example

hmmm that didn't seem to work, still getting "could not resolve host"

this is the command i ran to create the container

Code:
sudo docker run -it --cap-add=NET_ADMIN --device /dev/net/tun --name surfshark -e SURFSHARK_USER=************** -e SURFSHARK_COUNTRY=nl -e SURFSHARK_PASSWORD=************** ilteoood/docker-surfshark --dns=8.8.8.8

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.