Currently reading
VPN confusion.

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I think this will be an easy answer. I run OpenVPN on my nas to help keep out prying eyes. I noticed that my router also has a VPN and uses openvpn. Can I use that instead of the NAS to secure my whole network instead of just the NAS.

Also, OpenVPN is not the same as ExpressVPN or NordVPN?

TIA

I think this will be an easy answer. I run OpenVPN on my nas to help keep out prying eyes. I noticed that my router also has a VPN and uses openvpn. Can I use that instead of the NAS to secure my whole network instead of just the NAS.

Also, OpenVPN is not the same as ExpressVPN or NordVPN?

TIA
You need to make clear what you want. Are you talking about vpn client or server role (on your nas/router)?

Express or Nord are both vpn providers (working via open vpn protocol as one of them). So your nas is connecting to them marking your nas “the client” in this case.

But in top of that both your nas and your router also have vpn server packages. Those are reserved for incoming Vpn connections back into your LAN from a remote location.

So, what are you asking? Do you want to connect to a vpn provider from your router (as opposed from your nas) or you want to get into your lan?

Yikes. Ok, I think I understand the NAS vpn. It allows only me outside access to my nas using the openvpn client on my phone for example. No one else can log in unless they have the same openvpn config file.

What I'm looking for is the other. that will hide my browsing from my provider which would be like Nord or express vpn. However, from what I gather, they only go on the PC, which is the only device protected. I haven't seen one that goes on a Netgear router.

What I'm looking for is the other.
Ok so vpn client scenario. You can leave that on the nas if your router doesn’t have that option and then change your lan devices gateway parameter to your nas local ip address.

That way all traffic will pass via the nas that has a vpn tunnel active

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.