VPN server connection error

Currently reading
VPN server connection error

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Today I had a weird problem. I was connected as usual to my NAS via OpenVPN, all is fine. Disconnected, went away for about 20 minutes, came back to my iPad and tried to connect and I kept getting the error message below.

3BB0FD2D-8533-4AA4-B225-CB1ECBD58EEF.jpeg

Luckily I still have access over https/DDNS, so I tried that and I was able to login. Checked VPN server and I couldn’t find anything wrong. Restarted VPN server and tried again. Same error message. I tried both, the official OpenVPN and Passpartout clients to no avail. Tried from my iPhone. Same error message.

While on the edge of my seat (thousands of miles away), I clicked restart (the NAS). I was glad when the system came up and OpenVPN worked!
Always leave yourself an alternate access in case something like this happens.

The only thing that changed is that I started using Passpartout for the past few days. Coincidence or not, only time will tell. I will continue using it and see.

Sadly, I was at 89 days uptime :)

Hmm. I have seen [once] stopping and starting (safely on LAN) OpenVPN server using the portal didn't always release the network port, it needed a reboot to get it working again. I forget if this was on SRM or DSM.

It's for this reason that I keep L2TP/IPsec running on DSM too. Plus SSL-VPN on SRM.

And now I'm beating you on uptime, just ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.