Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

My RT6600AX is behind a ISP box in DMZ. The connection is capable of 2 gbps down and 700mbits up.

In front of it there is a 5g android connection whose speedtest indicates 180mbits down.

Openvpn WAN :
The openvpn connection is ok with the default cipher choice (aes256).
The speed is catastrophic: 6mbits at most.

Openvpn LAN :
I tried the same connection openvpn in LAN and there the speed is better: 100mbits.
I don't understand why the speed is limited in LAN vs WAN.

In both cases the CPU usage of the RT6600AX is not even increased.

Synology VPN Plus SSL LAN& WAN :
As a comparison I tested with the synology vpn SSL with exactly the same configuration.
In 5G I get 47mbits on speedtest. This is clearly not great considering the total bandwidth but it is incomparable with openvpn.
I also did the test in WIFI by connecting the vpn on the lan and I get: a similar speed with the wan.

Without doing miracles with the vpn ssl (47 mbits remain low on the capacity of the connection) I find it more consistent that the speed lan and wan is similar.

The non-perfect solution :
I've changed the cypher from AES256 to AES128
SHA512 to SHA256
Mssfix to 0
With this configuration my throughput is in wan the same as with synology SSL plus. But still impossible to match the speed that openvpn can offer in LAN.

I am sure that the 6600AX can do better but I don't know what to change. What is your experience and speed? Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.