Currently reading
VPN vs direct Fils Station access

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My VPN (on the network edge, not in Synology) is running slow. Locally files are available as expected but over VPN it's slowed down. Rather than find out why, how about if users login to their account and access files via File Station using a browser.

What's the danger? I know their VPN connections are 'hidden'. They could access the server over https to get direct to File Station and browse the files much quicker. What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong?
With enough security elements in place, you could minimize most potential threats. Make sure that accounts are running with complex passwords and 2FA. Push the FS portal over reverse proxy with a valid certificate in place.

Hardend the access using geo-firewall if you can and if you know the exact list of users that will be using this feature.

Does your edge device have wireguard VPN support? It is much less "hungry" in terms of a speed penalty so maybe it would be an option for you as well.

Does your edge device have wireguard VPN support? It is much less "hungry" in terms of a speed penalty so maybe it would be an option for you as well.
It does. I have some site to site VPNs running. No doubt things will break for a while as I implement WireGuard but I think given what you say I'll be happy if I have to fall back to https for a bit.

VPN has slowed recently, I had in mind to try WireGuard but I'm not 100% sure it's a fix. But worth trying an any case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.