Wake On LAN via Router Thoughts

Currently reading
Wake On LAN via Router Thoughts

I have been experimenting with WOL and while it works on the LAN, my router will not pass the magic packet through to my NAS. Hence, I have been thinking how to circumvent this limitation and my thoughts have turned to a Raspberry Pi.

For various reasons I am stuck with the current router. Additionally, all laptops, etc. would be off, hence the use of the Pi. The Pi does seems to be overkill for this task, but I have not thought of a simpler alternative so far as it has an ethernet port.

What I am aiming to do is have a browser bookmark with the IP address of the Pi, e.g. 192.1.68.1.248, and a port, e.g. 61234, to trigger the Pi via a code word.

By addressing 192.168.1.248:61234, and with port forwarding enabled for 61234, the Pi recognises the trigger code word and broadcasts the magic packet on the LAN, which includes the MAC address of the NAS and so wakes up the NAS.

Are there any thoughts as to why the above would not work? No doubt there are better solutions, perhaps already available.

It’s a standard based on Layer 2, so you need a host in the same network to broadcast the magic packet.

An advanced and not cheap router may overcome that limitation…

It’s a standard based on Layer 2, so you need a host in the same network to broadcast the magic packet.

An advanced and not cheap router may overcome that limitation…
Thanks for your comments John82.

It would be on the same network as the NAS.

I could change the router, but it would cause other limitations relating to the broadband supplier, hence not something I particularly want to do.

Just realised an error in the explanation in my initial post:

To come in from outside, via a browser I would use my DDNS link, e.g. xxxx.synology.me:61234. The router would then use port forwarding to link to the Pi on 192.168.1.248.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.