Ways to detect upstream network failure for log

Currently reading
Ways to detect upstream network failure for log

Can anyone think of a way to detect upstream network failure from SRM. Maybe a periodic ping with a log entry for no-reply with time and date stamp. I have a new ISP and I think I am getting some network failures and I want to detect them directly from my router.

Thanks,
David

I haven't done this on the router but there are applications that can monitor Internet accessibility / latency. On Mac I use Peak Hour 4 to monitor interface speeds on my LAN, using SNMP. But it also has a feature to monitor Internet connectivity and latency.

You could script something and have it run in DSM Task Scheduler (Control Panel). Test could be using ping or curl, or some other command that tests for a successful connection.

Last edited:
Via internet settings I know my router IP, the IP ISP Gives me, and the server feeding me.
Seeing that access to modem diagnostics cannot happen (192.168.100.1) unless modem is locked to ISP… I can’t use the IP ISP assigned to modem.
I ping two IP’s: my router (to prove it works) and ISP Server feeding modem.
The device I purchased off eBay does this, logging success & failures of pings to both IP’s.
If router pings successfully, but have packet loss on IP of server feeding modem, THAT, and event logs in modem should alert ISP of an issue, an a plan of attack to fix it.
This unit NP-02B, was originally to power cycle a modem that lost lock, but I’m using it to double check ISP Server feeding me. It can ping two different IP’s.

Not clear if device has secure software, so I isolate it from internet, and use an ICMP ‘Allow’ rule in firewall for the ping to isp server from IP of the NP-02B. No hits on device seen in couple years I’ve had it, so it isn’t trying to ‘phone home’.

P.S. the free PingPlotter program/App is an easy, free way to test for pings, and packet loss calculation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back