We all know 3,2,1 (if not search google on "backup 3-2-1"). But immutable, how are you doing that?

Currently reading
We all know 3,2,1 (if not search google on "backup 3-2-1"). But immutable, how are you doing that?

NAS
DS411+II, DS412+, DS418Play, DS216+II, DS218+ DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So, let me assune we all doe 3,2,1 backups. That method is working for ages now and I thnk still is the best option against Ransomware and other "events".
But as the criminals are building up their skills and processes, it looks like we need to revice 3,2,1 of at least add something to it.
On a regular frequency I read more and more on "immutabel bacups" and "air-caped backups". And from a learning perspective for all, I'd like to ask if you have any "immutability"and/or "aircap" build in your proces?

As an example for a small customer, we add an externa disk to the NAS. Hav de NAS restart before HB starts (so disk is connected) and in the HB task configured to eject te disk when backup is done. Not full 3,2,1 but for a small customer that is a possible aircapped backup.

Another example for a much more critical environment: have HB bakup to anouther NAS using a custom setup VPN which is closed after backup is ready. Needs manual action or one is very well equiped to scriipt all these.

What are your views, experiences, best practices that you are willing to share with the community to strengthen all memebrs setup?

I’m doing all of this with Hyper Backup. However, I’m trying to find the best way to “pull” the files instead of pushing them (HB can’t do it). With that, I won’t have any details (of my remote NAS) saved on the backed up device.

I think it’s doable with Active Backup. Need to find the time to try it.

the 3 2 1 backup strategy is kind of outdated in my humble opinion.

it was create in the time of tape backup, where tapes could fail or could not read back. One of our collegues was given the tape to take it home or to a safe place.

Nowadays, threats are different, people would easily accidentally delete files/folders, prefer to go back to a previous version easily, ransomware or other virusses are there, and there is a huge, almost not moving mountain of historic data that nobody dares to clean up or delete, as they fear compliance issues.

So backup strategy should now include measures to counter that new threats.
So my version of the modern backup is sligtly different:
I would say that a daily backup to a USB does not really fit into that equation. If the disk fails, all versioning is lost, and there is no backup anymore.
Always split data from software.
An independent (= off line, unless connected for backup), off site, versioned backup to e.g. another nas, is key.
From efficiency standpoint, the backup is split into several parts, where slow movers have lower frequency.
"Hot data" and databases are available on short notice.
A second (e.g. versioned cloud based backup is available as well).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.