WEB Access

Currently reading
WEB Access

Apologies for my stupidity, I have a home based DS218+ with a one web address (IP) and a sky hub, and I would like to add another NAS DS218 with a separate web address, but I have only got one IP address for my hub, so how do I configure this with two NAS and one IP address, any suggestions please if this is possible.

Apologies for my stupidity
No worries, man. We’ve all been there :)

and I would like to add another NAS DS218 with a separate web address
You can, but the first one is (most likely) using the 443 port, so the 2nd one will use a different port, with the side affect of needing to state the port number in the URL.
So let’s say you’ll forward 4433 to the 2nd NAS on your router. You’ll need to enter mynewsite.com:4433 to browse to it.

The other option is to play with reverse proxy and change a few things on the first site and make them use a subdomain. Something like:
firstsite.mydomain.com mynewsite.mydomain.com

Both will use the reverse proxy with 443, but traffic will be handled by one (the one with the reverse proxy).

If it’s a personal site, the first option is easier. If it’s commercial, having ports at the end will not look professional and might sound suspicious to a lot of people.

No worries, man. We’ve all been there :)

You can, but the first one is (most likely) using the 443 port, so the 2nd one will use a different port, with the side affect of needing to state the port number in the URL.
So let’s say you’ll forward 4433 to the 2nd NAS on your router. You’ll need to enter mynewsite.com:4433 to browse to it.

The other option is to play with reverse proxy and change a few things on the first site and make them use a subdomain. Something like:
firstsite.mydomain.com mynewsite.mydomain.com

Both will use the reverse proxy with 443, but traffic will be handled by one (the one with the reverse proxy).

If it’s a personal site, the first option is easier. If it’s commercial, having ports at the end will not look professional and might sound suspicious to a lot of people.
WST16, Many many many thanks, I have not added another NAS yet but tested this by changing NAS port no. and router port forwarding no. and URL adding new port no. and this worked well, I did seem to have a problem a few years ago as the URL would not accept a port no. so to gain access externally had to type www.mydomain.com:5100 all the time. (I was told port 5000 is better than 443 for security) now I will try and get a static IP address as SKY does not have this, I believe there is a few workarounds for this, do you know one?
-- post merged: --

:)

I think what happened is that you enabled Web Station and that takes over port 443 (the standard https port) and you had to add a port number to the URL to access your DSM desktop. 5001 is the default https port for DSM and 5000 is for http (so 5000 is not more secure than 443). When accessing your Synology remotely always use https. Without Web Station enabled, DSM redirected you to the DSM desktop behind the scene so to speak.

On the other hand, if you explain what you’re trying to accomplish, we (the forum) can provide more focused suggestions. For instance, what are the websites, commercial or personal, and why do you think you need a static public IP address. You can make use of a DDNS service and your NAS will update it regularly with the public IP address, keeping your domain name pointing to your public IP address.

You can run more than one website on a single NAS if you wish, but it needs a few changes and more understanding of the mechanics involved.

Hi WST16

Again, many many thanks again for your response and help, not sure what you mean by “web station” I checked my DM settings and router settings and could not find this, I found file station? I mentioned earlier that I added a port number to my URL but… access eventually this stopped working so it looks like my URL provider (1&1) will not accept port number in my URL (x.xx.xx.xxx:5300) but external access is fine as I don’t need to use it for external access.

ON my SKY router I have used port forwarding for 5100, 5300, 80, 443, and on my NAS I have DSM set 5100 for http and 5300 for https and then set it to auto redirect all http to https.

What I would like to do is connect my brothers NAS box to my SKY network at home so we have two NAS BOX with two separate URL mydomain.com and brotherdomain.com so when he moves on and has his own IP and network, he can take his NAS with him,

My Brother and I use NAS for personal and business file storage and occasionally my IP address at home changes at random so if I am remote at a client office, I cannot get access to my NAS so it is best to have a static IP address, originally SKY offered this free but not anymore, I vaguely remember a few years ago about DDNS and I will have a dig around at it.

So basically, I just want to setup two independent NAS boxes with two different URL on one network which has one SKY IP address at home. All works fine at the moment with one NAS box and one URL without adding a port number each time I type in the URL but not sure if this will work with two NAS and two URL without adding a port number manually all the time to gain access? Or is there a way around this?

not sure what you mean by “web station”
You said that you're already running a website on the Synology NAS (unless I misunderstood). How are you doing that?
Web Station is a Synology package that allows you to host your own website on the NAS. Here’s a YouTube tutorial.

it looks like my URL provider (1&1) will not accept port number in my URL (x.xx.xx.xxx:5300) but external access is fine as I don’t need to use it for external access.

ON my SKY router I have used port forwarding for 5100, 5300, 80, 443, and on my NAS I have DSM set 5100 for http and 5300 for https and then set it to auto redirect all http to https.
These two statements contradict each other. You're already forwarding ports.
You should have no problems using standard TCP/IP ports.

I suggest that you go through @NAS Newbie resource, it might clarify a few things for you.

What I would like to do is connect my brothers NAS box to my SKY network at home so we have two NAS BOX with two separate URL mydomain.com and brotherdomain.com so when he moves on and has his own IP and network, he can take his NAS with him,
Possible, but one NAS will use the default 443 and the other will use a different port.
If mydomain.com is using 443, you can type mydomain.com on the browser and it'll reach your website.

However, for brotherdomain.com, you'll need to type brotherdomain.com:4434 (for example, assuming that you've forwarded 4434 on the router to your brother's NAS).
That's because the default (standard) 443 is already taken for your NAS (we've already told your router to forward that to *your* NAS) and they both happen to be on the same network.
If your brother's site is commercial, it won't look good at all with a port at the end.

occasionally my IP address at home changes at random so if I am remote at a client office, I cannot get access to my NAS so it is best to have a static IP address
No need for a static IP address. A DDNS service will solve the issue of a changing public IP address.
Synology offers it for free (check DSM > Control Panel > External Access > DDNS), but you'll end up under a Synology domain (synology.me, i234.me and a few others on the list). If you have registered your own domain, check with your registerer, they might offer a DDNS service or you can use one of the many services out there (free and paid), like dynu.com and noip.com.

Possible, but one NAS will use the default 443 and the other will use a different port.
If mydomain.com is using 443, you can type mydomain.com on the browser and it'll reach your website.
This can also be achieved by redirecting all the incoming traffic to one NAS and use the reverse proxy to redirect to the right NAS depending on the URL
443 and 80 redirected to main NAS with RP active on it
RP rule redirecting all traffic for second nas url to the second nas IP

This can also be achieved by redirecting all the incoming traffic to one NAS and use the reverse proxy to redirect to the right NAS depending on the URL
I'm not sure about that. You might need subdomains to make it work.
@kevuk is saying that he wants to use two different domains (e.g. mydomain.com and brotherdomain.com).

I'm not sure about that. You might need subdomains to make it work.
@kevuk is saying that he wants to use two different domains (e.g. mydomain.com and brotherdomain.com).
It works, that's what I have in place right now.
Both domains are pointing to my IP and RP redirects to the right place.
Traffic for one domain name is redirected to Syno apps on the NAS box hosting the RP and traffic for second domain name is redirected to another IP/port

1635953806602.png

Last edited:
WST16 and Shoop

again many thanks for this info, it is really helpful, apologies WST16 I mentioned running a website on synology I meant URL, also yes it does work if i port forward using 443 and 5300 only i don't need port number at the end of the URL, and many thanks for the new newbie link and NAS tutorial link, I will go through that, also good to know i can use 2 NAS box on my network as per suggestion from Shoop using RP, brilliant many thanks. I will let you know when i set it up how it goes.
-- post merged: --

It works, that's what I have in place right now.
Both domains are pointing to my IP and RP redirects to the right place.
Traffic for one domain name is redirected to Syno apps on the NAS box hosting the RP and traffic for second domain name is redirected to another IP/port

View attachment 4714
Shoop
Many thanks for this info, brilliant.

Good luck to you.

If you're running DSM 7, Web Station has an updated feature that allows you to edit the error pages easily.

The most obvious error page that you'd want to change is the “404 page not found”.
If someone tries to modify the URL (intentionally or unintentionally), it will show the standard Synology error file. Although it doesn't say Synology on the page, for someone who's been around the block a few times, it's easily revealing that your site is hosted on a Synology server.

Now you can change it and add your own custom error page. I use a simple Lottie animation as a “hidden”page on my website and I just refer to its relative location to present it when needed.

93E350A1-522D-40CE-B786-ADC696514802.jpeg

Good luck to you.

If you're running DSM 7, Web Station has an updated feature that allows you to edit the error pages easily.

The most obvious error page that you'd want to change is the “404 page not found”.
If someone tries to modify the URL (intentionally or unintentionally), it will show the standard Synology error file. Although it doesn't say Synology on the page, for someone who's been around the block a few times, it's easily revealing that your site is hosted on a Synology server.

Now you can change it and add your own custom error page. I use a simple Lottie animation as a “hidden”page on my website and I just refer to its relative location to present it when needed.

View attachment 4720
Again many many thanks for info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.