Web server limitations

Currently reading
Web server limitations

NAS
DS213J
Hi,
I bought a DS213J for some basic file sharing, and now realise I've got a little webserver and loads of functionality which is all a pleasant surprise. I'm now contemplating that I might use the web server and install something useful and or fun.

I know this is a fairly open question, but please can anyone summarise, aside performance, what are the limitations of this little web server compared to say either a traditional hosted web server or a VPS?

I'm thinking perhaps I might install some PHP/MySQL apps, and am interested to know what types of systems might work/ not work? And I'm assuming that because it's some kind of Synology proprietary build/setup, it may not support certain things.

It would be helpful to know it's technical boundaries when I consider what I could use it for.

Thank you

I'm thinking perhaps I might install some PHP/MySQL apps, and am interested to know what types of systems might work/ not work?
Personally, I haven't used web station for anything apart from some redirects until recently but stopped with that as well. All is in docker but that's not an option in this case.

You can run apache versions with that web station as well as the build-in nginx and when it comes to limitations, the build-in version of Nginx has 0 modules installed so you might hit a bit of a problem there depending on the apps.

DB side will be a bit more feature-rich, but again it depends on the versions you install. Overall, it will do a great job for the most part, but do keep its horsepower in mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.