Webstation stops exposing running docker container ports

Currently reading
Webstation stops exposing running docker container ports

NAS
synoforum4Mula1!!
Operating system
  1. Linux
Hi,
I'm running a few docker containers (piHole, InfluxDB, Grafana...) and managed to set up everything perfectly fine. That is, everything ran fine until I rebooted my DS720+. The docket containers are all started up just fine but I found that Web Service Portal shows a number containers with 'Service disabled'. It contradicts with reality since all containers are up.

1665495310226.png

Service package status however show all are 'Normal'
1665495357768.png

Which is in line with docker console:
1665495412848.png

I find that I can only restore this by deleting thej Webportals, assoiated docker container and recreate everything.
After that, the ports or aliases can be accessed again.... Till I reboot another time...

Anyone encountered this too ?
Have I forgotten to set some access credential on the docker or webstation shares ?

Thanks

NB. I'm on latest DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4

Just curious, why are you using Webstation in conjunction with Docker?
What is the purpose of this combination?

It's simply an option that can be ticked in the Synology Docker admin interface; the containers' General Settings has a checkbox that allows you to 'Enable web portal via Web Station'. Tab 'Port Settings'also shows a Local Port 'For Web Station'...

If the containers is using the bridged network, you can map aliasses on webserver port 80/443 to internal container ports (like grafana in above screenshot, alias '/grafana redirects internally to container:3000). No need to open extra ports in the firewall...
For the other containers, one can indeed configure them to use the host network and open the associated port on the firewall... Nevertheless, I prefer to work with things that can be configured out-of-the-box, apparently there can occassions that it is not working properly (unless I understand what I may be doing wrong :))
-- post merged: --

Perhaps the question to ask here is how does Web Station exactly determine that a docker container is unavailable and marks it as 'Service Unavailable' in the 'Web Sevice Portal' tab. The same containers have status 'Normal' in the 'Status' tab

Upvote 0
It's simply an option that can be ticked in the Synology Docker admin interface; the containers' General Settings has a checkbox that allows you to 'Enable web portal via Web Station'. Tab 'Port Settings'also shows a Local Port 'For Web Station'...

If the containers is using the bridged network, you can map aliasses on webserver port 80/443 to internal container ports (like grafana in above screenshot, alias '/grafana redirects internally to container:3000). No need to open extra ports in the firewall...
For the other containers, one can indeed configure them to use the host network and open the associated port on the firewall... Nevertheless, I prefer to work with things that can be configured out-of-the-box, apparently there can occassions that it is not working properly (unless I understand what I may be doing wrong :))

Perhaps the question to ask here is how does Web Station exactly determine that a docker container is unavailable and marks it as 'Service Unavailable' in the 'Web Sevice Portal' tab. The same containers have status 'Normal' in the 'Status' tab
So why not just use reverse proxy! Much easier to use and IMHO it just works.

Upvote 0
Sure, thanks for the tip, apparently it can workaround the Web Station bug although I wonder how this resolves the issue when one wants to use aliases...
My point is that everything can apparently be configured nicely in Web Station and you'll have an easy configurable interface to set things up. Somehow the working configuration is not correctly persisted or at least doesn't survive a reboot. Imo this is a bug.

When I try to edit a Service Disabled entry, it also does shows the wrong entry in the dropdown box (since the original one is not in the list anymore)...

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Hi,
I'm running a few docker containers (piHole, InfluxDB, Grafana...) and managed to set up everything perfectly fine. That is, everything ran fine until I rebooted my DS720+. The docket containers are all started up just fine but I found that Web Service Portal shows a number containers with 'Service disabled'. It contradicts with reality since all containers are up.

View attachment 10953
View attachment 10954
View attachment 10955
I find that I can only restore this by deleting thej Webportals, assoiated docker container and recreate everything.
After that, the ports or aliases can be accessed again.... Till I reboot another time...

Anyone encountered this too ?
Have I forgotten to set some access credential on the docker or webstation shares ?

Thanks

Hi,

View attachment 10953
View attachment 10954
View attachment 10955

Anyone encountered this too ?I

Thanks

Old post!!
But I have the same isue.

1707646294517.png

To enable the portal, I go into Container Management, find the Container, stop it, go into settings for that Container, press save without change anything, start up the Container.
Check Webstation portal for that Container, edit and save, then it works once again.

But I never know when Webportal for that Container goes from normal to disablet?
Maybe during Hyberbackup of Webstation??

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back