Webstation / WP correct permissions

Currently reading
Webstation / WP correct permissions

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Dear Syno-Fans. I have successfully installed wordpress from WP.org on webstation (running 7.1 on DS220+) and I am concerned about permissions.
WP suggests certain permissions for key files and folders but I cannot seem to get the chmod suggestions by changing permissions through file manager. What is the correct procedure to change chmod permissions for the web / WP folder and which permissions should be given to the MariaDB which WP needs? Security and safety is prime concern (device is behind firewall and country ip filter is in place).
Thanks for any advice to get this right.

Pete

Hey WST16, thanks for your reply. Is Sparkle a platform or can it be hosted/installed on Synology? Does it need anything like a database? What security features does it have and does it make sense to install on DS220+ ?
Thanks!

Dear Syno-Fans. I have successfully installed wordpress from WP.org on webstation (running 7.1 on DS220+) and I am concerned about permissions.
WP suggests certain permissions for key files and folders but I cannot seem to get the chmod suggestions by changing permissions through file manager. What is the correct procedure to change chmod permissions for the web / WP folder and which permissions should be given to the MariaDB which WP needs? Security and safety is prime concern (device is behind firewall and country ip filter is in place).
Thanks for any advice to get this right.

Pete
Would maybe suggest if you decide to stay and host any platform on your NAS maybe isolate it inside Docker (container). You will be able to completely sandbox any solution, and the container can be configured to run with a specific DSM account, to prevent any exploits that might spill over to the rest of the system.

Last edited:
Hey WST16, thanks for your reply. Is Sparkle a platform or can it be hosted/installed on Synology? Does it need anything like a database? What security features does it have and does it make sense to install on DS220+ ?
Thanks!
Hi,

It's a website developer. All you need is to run webstation and choose a backend web server (from web station control panel). I'm running Apache, just because I'm more familiar with htaccess for control, but you can choose Nginx.
No databases required, it generates CSS code and publish it (via ftp among other options) to the website. That's all.

As for security, it's what it lacks that makes it more secure. As I know, WP requires plugins to accomplish many things and that's where it's riddled with holes. No such thing with Sparkle.

I'm running a simple website on a 220+ and it's running fine. Of course it depends on how much traffic is hitting your server, the complexity of the site and –indirectly– your link's bandwidth.
I have it on an isolated router port too but that's because the 220 is dedicated to this task, but I'm thinking of putting the site on my 118 as I feel that the 220 is wasted as it's not doing much (in my case).

Their community is very helpful and one of the developers (Duncan) is always there answering questions if needed.

They have a trial version that you can install and play with, so nothing to lose and it's so easy and a joy to use.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I’m running Matomo in a container for traffic analysis too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.