Currently reading
Weird ip issue

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I recently had to reinstall DSM 7 as certain things weren't working correctly. The NAS is now up and running except Synology Assistant can't see it on this PC. If I run SA on another pc it pops up almost instantly. I can still log into it on either PC with my browser. Also the last number of the IP address is .3 instead of the usual 2 digit .03. Any ideas. Curious! TIA

I recently had to reinstall DSM 7 as certain things weren't working correctly. The NAS is now up and running except Synology Assistant can't see it on this PC. If I run SA on another pc it pops up almost instantly. I can still log into it on either PC with my browser. Also the last number of the IP address is .3 instead of the usual 2 digit .03. Any ideas. Curious! TIA
If you try and ping the nas using its ip address from that computer in question, does it work? Can you still use its ip address and port to connect to the NAS UI even though you can't see it with SA?

I tried that and disabled windows firewall, Malwarebytes, windows defender, no difference. I think we're in the twilight zone of who knows why!! Good thing is it works, just Weird!!.

It is not uncommon for W10 PC to lose the connections to other network devices. A known and common issue. You can see if you can reset the windows network part. Several howtos on this forum or windows forums.
The different IP number: probably you have not set the fixed IP in your router. Check it and switch router and nas off and back on.

Ok, I'm going to stop posting as this is getting weirder and weirder. Came out this am to find the ip address to the nas has changed, itself. instead of.3 it's now .14. Thank you for your help past and present, I quit!!!!

Ok, I'm going to stop posting as this is getting weirder and weirder. Came out this am to find the ip address to the nas has changed, itself. instead of.3 it's now .14. Thank you for your help past and present, I quit!!!!
Well, have you configured a static IP on your NAS end? In the Network section of Control Panel (inside DSM) as @EAZ1964 suggested?

To be clear, my suggestion is to do reserve the fixed IP in the DHCP server = router (and possibly additionally in the nas).
When setting the static ip in the NAS only, I have seen occasions that the nas was switched off (or upgrading:), and the router issued the fixed ip to another device, yielding strange ip conflicts.

An IP address won’t end in .03 (or .003) it will always be just .3

and yes, usually best to set a reserved IP address in the router INSIDE the DHCP range, or, set a static address in the NAS OUTSIDE of the DHCP range.

Ok, I DL'd the manual on my cable router/modem and reserved .2 to .19 for my use. Set the NAS at .2 and has been ok for 2 days. Still can't figure why this machine doesn't let Synology Assistant see it but my other PC can. O'well. all that matters is it's working.

You can always try Synology Web Assistant from the LAN. It should* find all Synology devices on the LAN.

I can't remember the last time I used SynologyAssistant** as it doesn't seem to achieve much that can't be done by Mac Finder and more useful network discovery applications.

*It finds my three NAS and the RT2600ac router, but not the MR2200ac which is setup as a mesh access point controlled by the RT2600ac.

**OK, just now. It still is pretty much a dud. And doesn't find the MR2200ac. Apparently you can initiate a RAM test. Whoot! 🥳

I used find.synology.com to verify the IP changes I made. It always takes it two tries before it finds it though. Before all this mess it would find it on the first try. Go figure!!. Unless someone comes up with a solution on SA we can close this thread and take care of other users. Thank you though!!

You can always try Synology Web Assistant from the LAN. It should* find all Synology devices on the LAN.
not “just” devices it would seem. I only have 1 x DS916+ on my network but both LAN interface are in use on different internal networks (LAN2 is a seperate vlan for my camera network). I just tried a search from the link you provided from an iPad and it found the NAS on both interfaces which was interesting.

Ok problem resolved with Synology Assistant. Even though my NAS is hard wired to this PC, SA couldn't see it. I disabled my PC's wireless and ran Synology Assistant. This time a window popped up saying Windows Defender was blocking it. After telling it to let it through it worked.

Now, if you look back I said I disabled windows defender and Malwarebytes. Now idea why disabling the PC's wireless network card would trigger the prompt!! I hope this may help others in the future!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.