Welcome, NAS Newbie

Currently reading
Welcome, NAS Newbie

NAS
DS918+
Well thanks. As the name implies I'm a rookie at setting up my NAS and servers and routers and everything. I work from home as a freelance mechanical engineer, and I plan on using my DS918+ to store both business and personal data. My incredibly slow internet connection drove me to look for a large and redundant onsite storage option instead of using cloud storage. Eventually I hope to set up another NAS as an offsite backup, but that's going to have to wait until they connect fiber optic to my house.

So far I've been very surprised by all the different things a NAS can do, but I've also been disappointed in Synology's setup instructions. There doesn't seem to be a good instructional on how to set up a NAS from beginning to end, and they have so many different instructionals for all the different things that it can do (including multiple options that can do the same thing) that it is very hard for a newbie to figure out which way is the best route. I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute much to the discussions, but I look forward to learning more about what this thing can do.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Good to have you m8. Just ask away and we will all help out as much as possible. 918 is a real beast of a NAS and offers a lot (really a lot) of options to you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!