Well that was painless...... UPS

Currently reading
Well that was painless...... UPS

Otherwise it’s a crash if the power outage is longer than the UPS’ scheduled shutoff time as configured on DSM.
I'm not sure "crash" is the correct term. Upon power restoration, the NAS will come up cleanly and only alert that it had gone into safe mode due to power interruption. I don't believe any fault will be reported by the pool(s)/volume(s).

Here's a crappy old video, but the end testimony is what matters...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unless I'm missing something (I had found that page), there is nothing compiled for MacOS at all.
Looking at the page I see one project with binaries for MAC OS under Download / Binary packages : Fink
It looks like for newer MAC OS, you neeed to install from sources though

My APC Back-UPS ES 700G and XS 950U are both recognised by Mac's Energy Saver preferences. This being when directly connecting the UPS to Mac with the USB cable. You just have to configure sleep and shutdown when on UPS.

Likewise, DSM recognises both these too. I connect one NAS with the USB cable and activate it as a UPS server so that the other NAS can monitor it too.

On Windows there is the personal Powerchute software from APC that has access to some settings, such as turning off the annoying beep when on battery ... or when the battery has failed.

On Mac you could use apcupsd instead of native support. But I opted for native support for the UPS and did a VirtualBox VM that runs a Linux (forget which, could be a Raspbian-type build I was messing with at the time) with apcupsd for the odd time I want to configure UPS firmware features and see the performance.

I'm not sure "crash" is the correct term. Upon power restoration, the NAS will come up cleanly and only alert that it had gone into safe mode due to power interruption. I don't believe any fault will be reported by the pool(s)/volume(s).
I was referring to the Mac on the UPS. The Mac will crash if the DS issues a power down to the UPS or if the UPS runs out of battery. That’s if it’s running of course. So if @tekguru is in the habit of letting his Mac ”sleep” instead of shutting it down every time and the main power is lost and he’s away, it’ll crash eventually. Personally, I don’t like that.
It doesn’t matter much for other things like router, switch and telco ONT For instance.

DS is good. Will shut down everything and power off. It’ll power up when the main power comes back and sends a notification that it’s connected to the UPS too (if configured).

The Mac will crash if the DS issues a power down to the UPS
Unless you have a something like NUT which is monitoring the UPS status from your Mac and that can trigger a clean shutdown of the Mac when it sees that the UPS is on battery. It will monitor the UPS status by connecting to the NAS's UPS Server.
That's exactly how it's configured for me (with WinNUT) but on a PC, not a Mac.

My APC Back-UPS ES 700G and XS 950U are both recognised by Mac's Energy Saver preferences. This being when directly connecting the UPS to Mac with the USB cable. You just have to configure sleep and shutdown when on UPS.

Likewise, DSM recognises both these too. I connect one NAS with the USB cable and activate it as a UPS server so that the other NAS can monitor it too.

Are you saying that with the UPS connected to the Mac via USB that the NAS actually sees the UPS (sort of via the Mac)?
I do have an additional UPS a APC Smart 1500, but that is about 5 years old and a bit louder in operation so I was hoping to avoid using that, but if the Mac supports it....... hmmmm
I was referring to the Mac on the UPS. The Mac will crash if the DS issues a power down to the UPS or if the UPS runs out of battery. That’s if it’s running of course. So if @tekguru is in the habit of letting his Mac ”sleep” instead of shutting it down every time and the main power is lost and he’s away, it’ll crash eventually. Personally, I don’t like that.
It doesn’t matter much for other things like router, switch and telco ONT For instance.

DS is good. Will shut down everything and power off. It’ll power up when the main power comes back and sends a notification that it’s connected to the UPS too (if configured).

I do leave the Mac on 24/7 unless I need to shut it down for some reason. Yeah but if there is a power outage surely then there is no difference between a power loss due to erm a power loss, or the UPS being shut down by the NAS?
Unless you have a something like NUT which is monitoring the UPS status from your Mac and that can trigger a clean shutdown of the Mac when it sees that the UPS is on battery. It will monitor the UPS status by connecting to the NAS's UPS Server.
That's exactly how it's configured for me (with WinNUT) but on a PC, not a Mac.
I hot a dead end with NUT as I go a security warning that I could not clear when looking to try and run it.

Last edited:
Are you saying that with the UPS connected to the Mac via USB that the NAS actually sees the UPS (sort of via the Mac)?
I do have an additional UPS a APC Smart 1500, but that is about 5 years old and a bit louder in operation so I was hoping to avoid using that, but if the Mac supports it....... hmmmm
No. I have three APC Back-UPS:
  1. [XS 950U: 65 mins] Direct connected to Mac and also protects its external Firewire and USB drives and USB hub.
  2. [ES 700G: 29 mins] Direct connected to NAS1 and also protects NAS2, external eSata and USB drives connected to these NAS, Raspberry Pi, SRM router, ISP router, and LAN switch.
  3. [ES 700G: 38 mins] Direct connected to old Lenovo NAS.
I accidentally 'washed' my orignal ES 700G when knocking over a glass of water :( I needed a replacement ASAP and ordered a new ES 700G but that was going to take too long so ordered the XS 950U and IEC plugs. Ended up with two new UPS and then found the original's damage was limited to the battery (once dried out). Got a new battery and so now have three UPS :) They're all pretty low price so it made sense to use them and save damage to data and kit from power spikes.

I do leave the Mac on 24/7 unless I need to shut it down for some reason. Yeah but if there is a power outage surely then there is no difference between a power loss due to erm a power loss, or the UPS being shut down by the NAS?
No difference. It’s a system crash if the Mac is powered.
My point is that unless you’re home and you shutdown the Mac when the electricity is cut off and while it’s alive on the UPS, it’s going to crash. Unless you can find something as pointed by @Shoop that can connect the Mac to the UPS to give it a “hint” that the power is lost and it needs to shutdown itself while you’re away with no access to your Mac to shut it down.

I accidentally 'washed' my orignal ES 700G when knocking over a glass of water :( I needed a replacement ASAP and ordered a new ES 700G but that was going to take too long so ordered the XS 950U and IEC plugs. Ended up with two new UPS and then found the original's damage was limited to the battery (once dried out). Got a new battery and so now have three UPS :)
I‘m surprised of how you’ve managed to pull off such a feat when it comes to your “CFO-that-must-be-obeyed“!
My CFO is mostly bothered by redundant things more than expenses :)

Right cheers guys, I might well look to re-vamp things and see how the 1500 goes if I power it up - at least if I go down that route then can have the Mac properly connected to the UPS via USB and then I can use it's shutdown capabilities. I can also add into that UPS the ancillary devices that are used with the Mac. (Mutter - buy more IEC cables.. mutter)

I can also add into that UPS the ancillary devices that are used with the Mac. (Mutter - buy more IEC cables.. mutter)
Just don’t add any laser printers.

You might need a new battery for the 1500 (since it’s five years old), it shouldn’t break the bank, they’re fairly inexpensive. I know, it never ends :)

Now then since the guys have managed to successfully wrap this up (as usual), let’s look for something else for you to add to the list. How about a UniFi managed switch (our @jeyare will take care of you if you decide on this) or –one more time– the smart oven? The fun never ends at SynoForum. Aren’t you glad you’re here? 🤣

Edit: Looking at the title it says “that was painless“ 🤣

Yeah, well I'm 'on hold' with the secondary UPS as the 'USB lead I have somewhere', has turned into 'the USB lead that isn't in the house anywhere', so I'll have to wait until next months spend budget to get one.

I'm not even thinking of new UPS batteries, I'd get shot! From what I recall when we had to fit one at the office they weren't cheap or easy to fit!

Basically as all my kit has to sit in, under, behind etc my desk a proper switch (and a small cab to house it) is out of the question, that's upset the wife territory.

Smart oven - no - no and quite possibly no :)

And yes I'm very glad to be here - I ran 5 forums spanning 20 years (all dedicated to mobile devices), the last of which was closed 18 months ago. Since those halcyon days this is the friendliest forum I've found, not too big, not too small, with a nice feeling to it :)

Grin I did at least use the past tense :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.