Currently reading
Well that was painless...... UPS

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
NAS not linked to the UPS. I don't think I need to check the other options?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 12.42.02.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 12.42.02.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 92
If you have other devices plugged into the UPS (like the router), I would uncheck 'Shutdown UPS when system enters Safe Mode'.

Ah ha a good point, I didn't read that correctly :) Now unticked :)
If you haven't already then putting your broadband and LAN kit on the UPS will have little drain on power and will keep them running during power outages: so any battery devices (phones and laptops) will work even when desktops etc have powered down.
So far I've got the Apple Mac, the external backup drive for the NAS, and the NAS plugged in. I'll add the LAN switch as well. Before I can add any more items I'll need some more cabling :)

Last edited:
In addition to what is mentioned above. Having internet access during a power outage will also allow your DS to send mobile notifications and emails (if configured) to you.

Kind of stating the obvious, but I thought of mentioning it :)
Yep I'd already thought of that one, I've now ordered another IEC C14 Plug to 4 Gang Mains Power adaptor :)

So far I've got the Apple Mac, the external backup drive for the NAS, and the NAS plugged in. I'll add the LAN switch as well. Before I can add any more items I'll need some more cabling
I have PC+monitor/modem/router/NAS1/NAS2 connected to UPS. I could probably live w/o PC/monitor and rely on my laptop with its 15-minute battery, as I prefer to shut down NAS manually if I have the opportunity. My switch is not in the system, as the NAS/PC have router connections.

@Telos thanks for that, I missed the obvious - the monitor has ben added to the list LOL. Strangely enough I decided to turn off auto-shutting down of the NAS as well in case it is mid-backup and causes data corruption.

All my NAS devices that are inside the rack are daisy chained via lan regarding ups shutdown procedure. One main nas is connected via usb and turned into a ups server. Rest are using it’s ip address as a way to talk to the ups and turn off if and when needed.

All my NAS devices that are inside the rack are daisy chained via lan regarding ups shutdown procedure. One main nas is connected via usb and turned into a ups server. Rest are using it’s ip address as a way to talk to the ups and turn off if and when needed.
This would make a fun guide for your blog. I’d love to try this out.

IIRC, it does not shut down... instead, it enters "safe mode" stopping services and dismounting volumes in order to prevent data loss... and then finally shut down safely when the UPS can no longer support it.
Agree. Different terms.
It will finally have the power disconnected (turned off). It’s like pulling the plug while it’s running, however, it‘s ok because (as you mentioned) it’s safe.

I think @tekguru will be having nightmares because of this thread 🤣

Having the Mac on the UPS is good while you’re there –to safely shut it down– when the power is lost. Otherwise it’s a crash if the power outage is longer than the UPS’ scheduled shutoff time as configured on DSM.
A long time ago I looked into finding something that can link the APC to the Mac and I gave up. It’s more into Windows (something called parachute I think).

I have the DS configured to enter safe mode and power off the UPS at around 50% battery capacity remaining. This is just in case the power comes back and dies again.

If I were you, I’d simulate a power loss to see how long the UPS can hold. I know it says more than 90 minutes in your screenshot but I usually take that with a grain of salt. The thing that estimates this is usually high on something :)

When I started I think it was estimating 80 minutes or around that, then one day when it happened, everything on the UPS crashed.
-Damn you, didn’t you say we are good to go for 80 minutes you stupid fool.
-Hmm… hang on did I say 80! I think it’s more like 8. Let’s try again.
-Ok
-87 minutes
-Oh go &$#@ @#$&%@$&!

You might be able to use something like NUT for mac ...
I used WinNut to have my PC shutdown properly. My UPS is attached to the NAS USB port and the PC communicates with the NAS UPS Server on the NAS IP.
Here's a link to some NUT Tool that mught have soemthing for Mac which I can't test (since I don't have a Mac)
Maybe this can help

Yeah but surely the UPS failing is just the same as a complete power outage? So the UPS is better than nothing?

The UPS was brand new about 3 years ago so should be in good condition I think.

I've just looked a NUT but it looks very complex to me (I'm not a GIT guy), so no ideas where to start to be honest...

Yeah but surely the UPS failing is just the same as a complete power outage? So the UPS is better than nothing?

The UPS was brand new about 3 years ago so should be in good condition I think.

I've just looked a NUT but it looks very complex to me (I'm not a GIT guy), so no ideas where to start to be honest...
Well I quoted one of the 1st links I had in mind which happened to be GIT but you can check networkupstools.org, there is documentation and compiled installers :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.