What are some scenarios when you need to host multiple virtual DSM on your Syno NAS?

Currently reading
What are some scenarios when you need to host multiple virtual DSM on your Syno NAS?

I'm just wondering: It's great to install a virtual DSM to test some betas (for example DSM7 this time), maybe test some settings, testing new packages, etc.
But when and why might you need to host more than one virtual DSM? On your host machine you can set up multiple users, user quotas, permissions, etc. you can 'seperate' whatever you want. Why will you still need a virtual DSM sometimes?

I mainly use virtual DSM as a testlab. So indeed as you mention this works perfectly to test and tryout the DSM7 beta.

If I was not limited to 1 license, I would probably even run 1 VirtuelDSM as my live/prod NAS and host everything on that instead. For the same reason why you'd prefferably install VMWare ESXi on a HP DL380 server chassis instead of Windows Server directly.

To date Synology is a hardware company that bundles software and a few chargeable service. Giving away all vDSM licences would eat into its revenues.

Testing DSM is my reason to run vDSM. But if you consider the impact of malware and how it would potentially have access to all DSM internals, data, and attached devices then I can see a scenario where running externally accessible services is done on vDSM and the enclosed environment: any infection would not be propagated to the underlying DSM or to other vDSM.

Which is all good except I don't see support for MailPlus in vDSM, even if the underlying NAS supports it. Maybe there are other packages that are missing too... ones where there is a free starter licence?

To date Synology is a hardware company that bundles software and a few chargeable service. Giving away all vDSM licences would eat into its revenues.
1607786048391.png

But when and why might you need to host more than one virtual DSM?
Adding to what’s shared above (and not necessarily multiple unless you want to)…

To isolate torrent dloads on their own VPN connection without compromising the hosts’s capability to act as a VPN server (can be done with some torrent clients in Docker, but I find it much easier and more isolated, this way).

To send share links and have them accessible over a commercial VPN connection (requires a service that assigns ports), thus hiding your DiskStation’s real IP address and “sand boxing” what’s exposed, all while the host is not affected.

Why will you still need a virtual DSM sometimes?
The multi-tenant solution as well. If for example, you are running a more powerful NAS model that has lots of resources, you could run multiple VDSM instances that are isolated from the bare-metal and other VDSM and run apps (that apply) and give access to your users/customers.

Some people don't want/can't have a full blow NAS on site, so this way you could also rent (disk) space and apps/services in an isolated VDSM for a fee.

The multi-tenant solution as well. If for example, you are running a more powerful NAS model that has lots of resources, you could run multiple VDSM instances that are isolated from the bare-metal and other VDSM and run apps (that apply) and give access to your users/customers.

Some people don't want/can't have a full blow NAS on site, so this way you could also rent (disk) space and apps/services in an isolated VDSM for a fee.
Hmm U have this as a side-business? Interesting?

Hmm U have this as a side-business? Interesting?
As soon as my Internet connection will allow it I will yes, but I have this setup for a while already as an on-prem solution for several smaller teams that share a large RS unit and that way share the cost of it as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.