1611595742301.png

My Docker now has:
  • Bitwarden
  • Bookstack
  • Let's Encrypt
  • MariaDB
  • Tiny Tiny RSS
  • PHPMyAdmin

Bitwarden is just perfect (and with TOTP enabled even more!).

Bookstack - to store personal notes, tutorials, guides to remember etc.

Tiny Tiny RSS - I used to use Inoreader (Pro license), but this is just a perfect alternative.

Planned:
  • Restya
  • Firefly III
Firefly III has been an absolute pain. I am trying to install it from the past few days only to get 500 DB error. Several searches gave me several things to try out and nothing worked for me. Pausing the work till I get a video tutorial now. I really want to get Firefly III - looks so good.

I clearly have no place in this thread as I only run one item in Docker (just Homebridge and even that only runs for a single Nest Thermostat).

I must lack imagination or something. I have messed-up a Docker container so badly that DSM failed, so that probably knocked some of the enthusiasm into the long grass.

I clearly have no place in this thread as I only run one item in Docker (just Homebridge and even that only runs for a single Nest Thermostat).

I must lack imagination or something. I have messed-up a Docker container so badly that DSM failed, so that probably knocked some of the enthusiasm into the long grass.
you can do it m8!

I have messed-up a Docker container so badly that DSM failed, so that probably knocked some of the enthusiasm into the long grass.
How about you share your story in a seperate thread, starting from what you tried to archive, describe exactly how you configured things and share what problems it caused. I am sure we can de-mystify the experience :) Would be a shame to be scared of docker.

Fails are part of almost every learning process, wouldn't you agree?

I feel like I don't really know enough about Docker to get the most out of it - and sometimes I stumble around blindly without a clue - yet manage to use it a fair bit anyway :LOL:
One of my 918+'s has Pi-hole, sabnzbd, portainer & privoxy running. After reading this thread I just downloaded homebridge - that'll be my next project!
There are a few more containers i configured to replicate services I had running on previous servers before I became a Synology convert - but in some cases I found a better way to do things natively within Synology - so my Hamachi & ddns updater containers are dormant for now.
On my 2nd 918+ I just have logitechmediaserver running within Docker. It replaces the native app which Synology stopped supporting last year. I need to keep using this system for audio as I have a couple of Squeezebox Touch devices which will become redundant if I switch to a different kind of media server.
Oh and my enthusiasm for Docker on the Synologys got me repurposing an old HP Microserver to run ESXi with yet more containers running in Ubuntu VMs on there - that's where I experiment & play.

Where can I get an overview of what's possible with Docker for the end user?
I'm about to get a 218+ so I'm looking forward to exploring Dockerland but would like to read some general overview of all those apps listed above.

I run an Intrusion Detection System called Suricata (based on SNORT).

Where can I get an overview of what's possible with Docker for the end user?
I'm about to get a 218+ so I'm looking forward to exploring Dockerland but would like to read some general overview of all those apps listed above.
Check this

Show us your docker configurations, setups, images and containers that make you happy. This is my current setup on 918+

View attachment 1
OK, here we go... but first I'd like to mention that most of what's on the list was started in order to learn. Linux, Docker, most of it was new to me. Now that I'm retired I have ample time to play with these things and figure stuff out...

On a virtual private server at strato.com (deployed for learning purposes):
foldingathome, glances (sort of HTOP in a webpage), netdata, heimdall, searx, freshrss (recommended RSS reader), portainer, trilium notes (note-taking app, highly recommended; syncs with >see below<)
I also have Jupyter on the VPS, but I start that container only when I'm about to play with python.

On a Raspberry Pi 4:
heimdall, netdata, owncloud, boinc client (the famous distributed computing client), portainer

On a recently received DS716+II (it was actually GIVEN to me):
exatorrent, nzbget, glances, portainer, watchtower, trilium notes (syncs with >see above<)

Can you explain why you did this and also possibly how you did it?
It came down to resources. Our main backup unit, a RS3614RPxs, sits idle most of the day, it only springs into action at night to back up all our servers. And our internet connection is the reverse: active during the day but dead at night. So it seemed like a good fit. So I set up our main router to blast a copy of all our internet traffic at the RS3614RPxs on its own direct ethernet link. Mikrotik routers have a handy feature called Packet Sniffer, which can be set up to encapsulate all packets with the TZSP format, and stream them to another IP. I had to use a custom Dockerfile to set up a utility from Mikrotik to de-encapsulate the traffic and feed it into Suricata.

It's worked really well so far. In the first day, it alerted me to the fact that 3 of the cameras installed by our security company were sending their passwords to their cloud servers in the clear (A security company!!).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.