What, besides the cameras, do I need to setup and run Surveillance Station?

Currently reading
What, besides the cameras, do I need to setup and run Surveillance Station?

NAS
DS1517+
I'm a bit confused from reading Synology website about what I need, in terms if hardware and software, to setup and run video security. Their terminology assumes that I know what all this stuff means. I can use some help please.

This is for my house, and I have a DS1517+ with plenty of storage. Do I need another hardware piece that sits between the NAS and the cameras? And what would be a good set of cameras that are on par with Nest Outdoor camera quality?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

You’ll need to install Surveillance Station Package.
You can use DS Cam app for mobile access.

Check the compatibility list before you purchase any cameras to make sure they’re supported.

If all you need is to support two cameras then all of the above is included with your purchase. If you need support for more than two cameras, you must buy more licenses. To the best of my knowledge, the license is sent snail mail (you can check Amazon) and they’re non-transferable.

From your DS data sheet:
Maximum IP camera: 40 (total of 1,200 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)

Thanks for your reply, but the "compatibility list" is the reason I posted the question here. For example, I have no idea what is, and if I care about Digital I/O, Fish Eye or Fixed lens, Version of the Device Pack, etc. I would love actual recommendation of the brands and models.

Also, you say that my DS data sheet allows for cams that are 720p? That is lower standard than pretty much any reputable security camera like Nest. And I guess I don't understand why the NAS be the roadblock for camera types. FYI, I only need 2-3 cameras total.

Hi,

You’ll need to install Surveillance Station Package.
You can use DS Cam app for mobile access.

Check the compatibility list before you purchase any cameras to make sure they’re supported.

If all you need is to support two cameras then all of the above is included with your purchase. If you need support for more than two cameras, you must buy more licenses. To the best of my knowledge, the license is sent snail mail (you can check Amazon) and they’re non-transferable.

From your DS data sheet:
Maximum IP camera: 40 (total of 1,200 FPS at 720p, H.264) (Includes two free camera licenses; additional cameras require the purchasing of additional licenses)

Last edited:
The resolution quoted is for when you’re running a total of 40 cameras I believe :)

I’m using 2 Hikvision external fixed cameras. Both are PoE capable . So if you have a PoE switch, then all you need is to run an Ethernet cable and not worry about powering them externally. Very convenient.

This has a 2.8mm lens 5MP (I like it)

A675AFFD-7D85-4453-B941-B642EB506C25.jpeg

This has a 4mm lens 6MP.

95C2F09D-3368-4D44-A3AB-40ED410160E9.jpeg

Check this video to see the difference in lens coverage:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you’re after an internal camera. Check the other thread where a member recommended a Reolink.
Also pay attention to the supported encoding. H265 (or the + version) is the latest. Better compression means less storage required and better network utilization.

This is a fish eye camera. And it comes with very annoying music too :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@electrohead
you need read with understanding:
1. Maximum IP camera: 40 (total of 1,200 FPS at 720p, H.264)
this is max. capacity based on max. possible throughput. You need count that
1700FPS / 40 cameras = 42,5 FPS per camera at 720p with H.264 video coding

2. of course you need care about whole Cam/NAS/switch/wires/ ecosystem. More you can find answer in this forum by use Search, include recommendations of architecture basics.

A little late with info but I just joined this amazing site.

Im running Synology Surveillance Station with three cameras, two POE and one WIFI. Axis, Vivotek and Hikvision. System runs great on my DS718+. Basic home surveillance. Axis cameras are my favorites.. Im thinking of replacing the wifi camera with another Axis POE camera.

Extra camera licenses can be bought at B and H Photo online store.

To connect around the house, I use two TPLink PowerLine adapters. When we bought our house, I didnt have ethernet installed so the TPLink was the next best solution. Having a managed switch is also helpful for throughput.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.