What can I get out of a DS115j and an Amazon Fire stick?

Currently reading
What can I get out of a DS115j and an Amazon Fire stick?

NAS
DS115j
Operating system
  1. Linux
Hoping I can get some help from those more knowledgeable than me. I've had this DS115j for some time now and used it with Kodi and Home Theater PC and it worked well(1080p resolutions)... I am interested at the thought of downsizing if that is possible. I bought a Amazon Fire stick and looked into installing a Plex package (on the 115j) in hopes of replacing my HTPC but that might not be materializing. I followed the advise of several and tried to manually get the latest package off Plex's website but all I see is that this doesn't seem available for the DS115j. So right now I have the most current package offered from Synology installed. So far it looks like Plex is running on my 115j but I can't see it on the fire stick... Even if I could make a connection, could I actually stream anything with it? I looked at a compatibility spreadsheet and it seems to suggest the DS115j might not work with Plex.. Thanks in advance for any help!

I've use low powered NAS (Western Digital MyCloud) for 5 years with a firestick. I use Kodi on the firestick and it works great - pull video files (movies/TVshows) directly from the NAS with no Plex or whatever.

I now have it working with my Synology NASs at several locations. No problems at all.

Well that's good news maybe.. I'm just confused if the 115j can't do hardware acceleration or software transcoding, does the fire stick do all the heavy work?

Here is the note excluding the 115j. Any ideas why it is excluded?

1637899079492.png

Just don't use PLEX. Use Kodi. Use the NAS solely as a storage device, access it from Kodi on the firestick and Kodi/firestick do all/any necessary trans/decoding.

Here is the note excluding the 115j. Any ideas why it is excluded?
j-series are under-powered and under-resourced for live transcoding. There is no GPU support for hardware transcoding, and software transcoding will suck all CPU power.

Avoid transcoding if you can, or buy a NUC to run the Plex server/transcoding, and use the NAS for storage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.