What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

NAS
DS918+ (8GB RAM, 4x WD RED 4TB SHR) ; EATON Ellipse PRO 1200FR
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Not today but not long ago, I decided to migrate my containers from being created in command line to compose in Portainer. Took the opportunity to also add Watchtower to monitor and auto download updated images without auto updating the stacks/containers.
So far everything seems ok :)

NAS
DS1819+, DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
...updated all my docker containers across all my farms... God bless Portainer
I'm running straight docker and portainer...it is nice to be able to update Pi-hole within it.
-- post merged: --

I increased my media library content....always a good thing.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
I had 6GB of RAM in my 1515+ but had 12GB (8+4) sat idle on my desk.

Hmmm, I now have 12GB in my 1515+ and 6GB (4+2) sat idle on my desk. :D

I also gave it it's tri-monthly blow out with the air gun.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Grabbed a trio of WD Elements 12TB drives, to "shuck" into my 1515+.

So I've gone from 5x3TB Red's, which gave me about 10.5TB of space with one drive fault tolerance. To 3x12TB White drives giving me about 21TB of space with one drive fault tolerance. Plus I've got another couple of bays left. :)

NAS
DS418; DS413
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
trying to resolve port forwarding so my DS418 and DS413 are using their own unique ports. All working now except the network printer still fails to connect to PC when adding the usbprinter1. The Win 10 PC sees it but says the connection fails. This had worked before the DS418 was added and port forwarding rules were changed in my MikroTik routerboard.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Still waiting for my NAS to add drives, 3 days and counting... what a lame process!

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Testing a local backup of my Synology to S3 storage that I built using my old Windows Home Server N40L ProLiant and its three drives of WD Red 3TB with TrueNas. I am hoping it's better than having that bunch of bare drives that I use with a ESATA dock and constantly swap out between 5 backups sets. This will make my 3-2-1 backup plan easier to manage.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Ha! I still run a Lenovo Atom with WHS v1. I've never found a better back-up solution for Windows machines.

NAS
DS1515+, DX213.
Turned my NAS back on today after 4 1/2 days without power due to a storm.

Blimey, that was a long time!

Continue to fine tune my new DS920+ after migrating from DS916+.
Still have to setup a few things, like mailserver...a backup strategy 🤔

NAS
DS918+, DS414j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
trying to resolve port forwarding so my DS418 and DS413 are using their own unique ports. All working now except the network printer still fails to connect to PC when adding the usbprinter1. The Win 10 PC sees it but says the connection fails. This had worked before the DS418 was added and port forwarding rules were changed in my MikroTik routerboard.
There is a chance this could be down to Microsoft updates as well... They've done an obscene amount with network printers since the PrintNightmare vulnerability was released. I'm not actually sure they know half the damage they keep causing.

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
"What did I do?"

Not a lot, we finally had the electricity fuse box (consumer unit) replaced. A combined RCB/fuse on each circuit now. Hopefully, that'll be better that the single RCB that kept tripping.

NAS
RS1221+, DS1517+, RS819, RS217
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Took out a 4GB stick of Synology's "rolled on a virgin's thigh" DDR4 memory from my vendor-locked RS1221+ and replaced it with a Synology-badged 16GB ECC SODIMM; albeit not one on the compatibility list as it is the older 2400MT/s version.

Works perfectly and is recognised by the memory check (memory swindle) system...

So now running with 1 x 4GB and 1 x 16GB for 20GB total. Most of it is being used for a fast cache:

2021-12-23 at 09.55.12.png

I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but the embedded AMD CPU does still works in dual channel memory mode with mismatched RAM fitted (albeit only for the first 8GB in my case). Not unusual these days but you never know with these low-power embedded CPUs.

☕

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Not a lot, we finally had the electricity fuse box (consumer unit) replaced. A combined RCB/fuse on each circuit now. Hopefully, that'll be better that the single RCB that kept tripping.
Six weeks later and no home electricity problems! Seems to have been fixed (y)

I've not been doing much new stuff with the NAS but have been adding to the home AV/amp devices that access the NAS... y'know the real reason to have the NAS :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.