What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

I love a challenge (particularly when I can make some headway).

450g (1 lb) of ribeye put it in the middle bay of 3622 and start data scrubbing on all drives, preferably 16TB/drive. Place the NAS in a closed cabinet without ventilation. After 16hrs it could be a great 53C (127F). Then use a flamethrower to making a crispy crust. Just for 15sec for both sides. What a challenge.

Had a real flap on this morning, no NAS online!

My 1515+ had completely powered off. No response to a power button press, oh no!

So, I pulled all the drives, removed the cover, removed the 24 pin PSU connector from the board and attached a PSU tester to the plug.
The PSU powered up ok.
I plugged the connector back into the board and tried the power button again and the NAS powered right up!

WTH?

Nothing in the logs, apart from a dubious "a UPS was plugged in" at about 6 am this morning. Then a warning about booting up from an improper shutdown, when I restarted it.

What do you reckon guys? This is a replacement unit that already has the resistor fix, for the Atom clock gen bug.

Had the same, on 2 NASes now. It all looked really bad and Syno 'Support' got to the end of their script with no fix possible.

There is a long story for this but in the end it was a simple as backing-up data (if any access possible or required) and doing a full factory reset and installing DSM from scratch on a clean single drive.

No matter what the party line from Syno is, the base DSM OS that is mirrored across all your drives can be corrupted and give you symptoms such as this.

Clearly weird power issues can cause problems too, as has also happened to me (a Syno NIC started to fail, causing havoc with the PCIe power rail it shared with the wider NAS) but generally I find a corrupted DSM to be the usual culprit.

☕

Today is Turkey Day! But you know what else that means this is the long weekend to clean out all the cobwebs and dust that has build up in my systems over the year. Last year I found a dead nest of spiders in the bottom of my HP Miniserver that I use as a local backup for the Synolgoy. I wonder what I will find this year.

Last edited:
Simple housekeeping here... set up docker-compose as my "go to" update method, in lieu of Portainer... and relatedly added SSH keys to enable passwordless SSH login.

macOS ABB 2.5 testing apart from some other tests on the DS923+
Looking forward to hearing how this goes. Anything to replace Time Machine and if it can also replace Synology Drive's backup task, so much the better. I would still be making bootable clones with CCC.

Back when I pitched the business case to the CFO downstairs (my home office is upstairs) for getting the DS1520+ there were two main lines of emotional attack:
  1. Backing up the PCs the kids started getting for school/college ... I use Mac so had no idea what to do but ABB looks to be easy enough but <drumroll> we need more storage :D
  2. We need a new Time Machine server because the really old NAS is really old. I hear DSM ABB is also getting support to backup Macs too!

So attack line 1 was so much a home run (as I believe our North American members might say) that I had forgotten about ABB for Mac. I'm looking to jump our two Mac Mini forward from 2012 so whatever minimum macOS spec ABB will need won't be an issue (Synology Drive on-demand for Mac took so long that it didn't support versions of macOS that hadn't yet been released at the time they announced this Drive feature).

So far, not good. Catalina is the minimum system.
Good that you're testing it. I might try it too since: macOS Catalina is supported; my DS218+ isn't used for our main ABB so is a good test candidate. I'm not looking for a bare metal restore capability (clones are for that) but the file history access is more my area of interest.

Is it an ASi, Universal binary or Intel app?
I would say Universal as there is no separate installer only one. Atm I have no ASOC machine so can't say if its emulated via Rosseta or not, but considering that Drive was just recently migrated to support SOC, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case here as well.

Good that you're testing it.
I have another friend testing it as well, also 0 backups have passed. Still waiting on support to get back to me on this matter.

Last edited:
Had a real flap on this morning, no NAS online!

My 1515+ had completely powered off. No response to a power button press, oh no!

So, I pulled all the drives, removed the cover, removed the 24 pin PSU connector from the board and attached a PSU tester to the plug.
The PSU powered up ok.
I plugged the connector back into the board and tried the power button again and the NAS powered right up!

WTH?

Nothing in the logs, apart from a dubious "a UPS was plugged in" at about 6 am this morning. Then a warning about booting up from an improper shutdown, when I restarted it.

What do you reckon guys? This is a replacement unit that already has the resistor fix, for the Atom clock gen bug.

I'm kinda suspecting that my issue maybe related to the other big flaw with the 15+ series.

The "Q2" BC847 Transistor on the motherboard. It sits right next to the 24 pin power connector and often goes bad!

Good video showing the typical "issues" with the 15+ series.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.