What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

.... and it's dead again!

Found it powered off again this morning. Well, I'll strip it down and solder on a new transistor. I'll also add a resistor to the green wire on the PSU plug. Apparently, the cause of this issue is too high a voltage, on that wire, when the unit is powered on. It burns out the transistor over time.

Fingers crossed for a fix! 🤞

Last edited:
Not NAS, but Synology!
Last month:
Browsing EBay, selected 2x ‘dead’ 2600 routers, and bought them as a ‘challenge’ to try & make 1 outof 2.
First one —small chip burned halfway through board. It’s Dead. Second one, WAN Dead, LAN 1 OK as WAN, so examined dead #1 unit and find 4x resistors , one transformer isolation IC, and custom gate array switch unique to WAN.
Resistors do-able, transformer IC difficult but do-able, and Gate Array Switch impossible to replace. But it’s working LAN1 as WAN, so let’s test it!
Have been running on the ‘dead unit’ for nearly a month now. Would have expected gate array switch to have died further by now, leaving resistors and transformer as likely repair options.
But, seeing that it’s still working fine, I’m not needing 4 LAN connections, and I realize how incredibly lucky I was on the interpretation of the ‘Repair’….. I’m leaving well enough alone!

Now I have seen reports from others that WAN would go stupid or, partially stupid on 1.3.x Update (And that’s how I received it: as 1.3.1 with WAN inoperative), I may try WAN connection after the next firmware update to see if that affects operation… -2 didn’t affect a change.

“What’s the difference between walking along the very edge of a cliff — and running beta software?” Answer: “No Difference Whatsoever”!
-- post merged: --

Mr. Tedster:
Is that transistor the one that a year or so ago there was a thread at Sy site about a gain or transistor # change? I do believe it was in power start up circuit.
I remember asking how fellow came up with reasoning for change, or schematic of before & after, but never got reply…. ???
When you pull out transistor, please test junctions, as this might assist determining failure cause.

Mr. Tedster:
Is that transistor the one that a year or so ago there was a thread at Sy site about a gain or transistor # change? I do believe it was in power start up circuit.
I remember asking how fellow came up with reasoning for change, or schematic of before & after, but never got reply…. ???
When you pull out transistor, please test junctions, as this might assist determining failure cause.

Oh, I don't know. I never visit the Official Synology forum, due to it being complete garbage.

Apparently, they fail because Synology used an "off the shelf" PSU. It provides too much voltage on standby, or something. I've fixed mine for now by soldering on a new transistor and a 1000k resistor.

I have to say, I've lost confidence in the thing. I've lost confidence in the brand too, if I'm honest.

It's hard to link to a definitive source. There's so many conflicting variations. The 1515+ and the 18/24-15+ models show different reactions to so called "fixes".

I've determined it depends on the system load. So the more drives you have seems to have an influence.

On my 1515+ a new transistor fixed it... until you added the drives! Then it wouldn't start.

I had to solder on a 1000k resistor too. The unit has been alive ever since. But like I said, I've pretty much lost confidence in it.

Could be then, when I added a new transistor the unit would happily power on again. As soon as you added the drives again, it would die and it would blow your new transistor!
The addition of the 1000k resistor fixes that issue.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited:
A 1Meg Resistor? Where did that resistor go? Damn! the reasons a Schematic is necessary to assist in troubleshooting!

Somehow the sudden need for high value resistor to keep a new transistor from dieing, doesn't sound right... From memory from last year's post, Is this transistor the one that is turning on the supply? This is about as far as I got with thread last year...

Last edited:
Today -- Checked in-depth status of drives in latest 720+... (Now over a year old in this unit)
Drives are 12-16 year old 1TB 7200rpm Barracuda's: retired from 5-6 years of TV Station Video 24/7/365 Server operation, Then used as Video Editing as Raid0 array for 5+ or so years: After installing patched firmware (These drives firmware were affected by the infamous: Seagate "Click of Death" firmware failure, fixed with SD1A Firmware). When that spinning Raid0 Array was replaced with SSD Raid 0, the drives, after sitting on shelf for a while, were moved to 'new' 720+ as SHR: (Reporting as 'not supported drives' by the 720+, by the way).. Running 70% full...

By golly these drives are like the energizer bunny!

The plan was to use these drives until a sale on 7200rpm 8TB ironwolf's or such was found... Then update..... But since I don't have any other location for the drives to reside -- after the 720+..... and the drives just "Keep on -- Keeping on!" A couple locked out blocks on first install, but nothing since (With a spare - Firmware patched 1TB Drive still on shelf, in case one drive dies!)... And this 720+ is the one I test new DSM firmware, and settings, on.... Learning on this system, before applying changes to Systems that are our main storage.... and data here is also kept elsewhere...... "What--Me Worry?"

Ha! It's a 1K resistor! A thousand Ohms or whatever.

You're doing well with those drives!

I'm still using 5 WD Reds that I retired, I took them out of the NAS but have them running in various PC's. Some have almost 70,000 hrs on them.

I download and update to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3 for my DS220+. I should not do that bcuz now i can't run any apps and i can't restart or shutdown my DSM. Well happy Saturday

Attachments

• error for version 3.png
    error for version 3.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 15
I download and update to DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3 for my DS220+. I should not do that bcuz now i can't run any apps and i can't restart or shutdown my DSM. Well happy Saturday
I have no problem with update 3. And the reason you can’t restart is because it says there’s something running. Can you wait a bit to see if that finishes and then reboot?

I have no problem with update 3. And the reason you can’t restart is because it says there’s something running. Can you wait a bit to see if that finishes and then reboot?
it was so stuck so i needed to reboot the hard way. not good for my disks but what to do.
i have contact synology support.

Attachments

• error for version 3.png
    error for version 3.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 13

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.