What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Went over the printouts from Router and NAS's Firewalls, slightly modifying the IP Ranges that exist for new devices... and added it to the IP Database I use to document the system here..
With the Allow's and Deny's of the firewalls, & DHCP Setttings in the router, I've created "Ranges" of IP's that allow access or denyial to Internet, NAS, in all possible combinations...
By then setting a Static IP on devices (or not) I determine what a device can or cannot do... Today I Altered the range in one group for an upcoming addition...

Went over the printouts from Router and NAS's Firewalls, slightly modifying the IP Ranges that exist for new devices... and added it to the IP Database I use to document the system here..
With the Allow's and Deny's of the firewalls, & DHCP Setttings in the router, I've created "Ranges" of IP's that allow access or denyial to Internet, NAS, in all possible combinations...
By then setting a Static IP on devices (or not) I determine what a device can or cannot do... Today I Altered the range in one group for an upcoming addition...

Wouldn’t vlans be much simpler and less to maintain?

Last edited:
I’m self taught. The Documentation on VLAN that I’ve found so far is not clear on how it would be implemented here, where I cannot ‘group’ devices by router lan port, and with a few un-managed switches providing expansion.
Prior to VLAN Availability I’d already embraced this procedure and it works fine for years, with the extra needed allows and dis-allows ending up as separate firewall rules where needed.

From what I’ve interpreted from the rules I’d have to separate the VLAN groups by router LAN PORT, without managed switches, and the way house is wired THAT would be a complete rewire to accomplish.

I have 4 separate groups of things I’d wish to isolate from one-another, each with exceptions to the rules..

I’m ‘kinda’ doing that now, with Static IP, and both router and NAS Firewalls, DHCP, Traffic Control, and I’d foresee a great learning curve adopting VLAN by me if I tried, so…….

Printouts of the 4 Firewalls and IP list indicating the limits of each IP can access has actually not been too much maintenance. An occasional shuffling of the IP Ranges (as yesterday), because I did not foresee enough IP’s for the range in question when I first set it up. Should not have to re-visit that ever again.

Prior to VLAN Availability I’d already embraced this procedure and it works fine for years, with the extra needed allows and dis-allows ending up as separate firewall rules where needed.
Ah I see. If it works for you it works. I’m self taught too, once I found myself maintaining too much I dug in to make things easier to maintain. Never stop learning 👍

Okay, done. 1 8TB and 1 4TB WD drives ordered. Ofc, I have no clue what to do with them in the event of a drive failure, but I'm sure I'll learn that when the time comes.

Last edited:
Contacted by people from the past..... Burned 3 DVD's from ISO's stored on NAS: from edited VHS tape transfers from 1995-1997... 10 year Motorcycle Club Aniversary "Rides Video" + 2 others of same type..

The 3 are gifts to people we used to ride with.... My! we were Young!

Last edited:
63 Honda mini-dream left shift
60 something Velocette Thruxton right shift
68 Triumph Thunderbird right shift (stolen/Chicago)
70 something Yamaha RT3 Scrambler (bought trashed from Indiana farmer, restored While kids were growing up) gave up on right shift—Yamaha & All remaining: left shift!!
86 Goldwing 1200 SE kids grown! 180K miles touring including Saddlesore 1000 with Wife 1992 (Around Lake Michigan in 24 Hrs!)
93 Goldwing 1500 SE 186K miles touring— overall touring: 44 States, 8 provinces of Canada.
95 Shadow 1100 ACE 37K miles (ram around town bike- modified flared fenders to look like 37’ Indian Chief)
Sold last two 2016, knees.
Still look at bikes in parking lots!
Mom & Uncle rode/uncle raced Indians (flat-track & hill climb) in 1920-30’s! We retraced his Chicago to Montana to Colorado/Missouri to Chicago route in 1994).

Wow, I've not had near as many bikes or miles. Maybe 150K, there were several gaps of having no bike.

72 Honda 350 CL (great bike, not enough power)
80 Yamaha 650 Special (rode that one for 10yrs)
82 Harley Ironhead Sportster
2009 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
83 Harley Ironhead

Still have the last two in the garage, the 09 needs repairs from wreck that stopped my riding and the 83 just needs to be tinkered with as it's been sitting since the wreck, too.
So since I can't ride, I bought a 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6sp manual and have almost as much fun with it.

I still look at bikes, but I no longer feel the urge to ride. Almost 70 now and don't need to tempt fate. :)

Got an email alert, telling me one of my volumes was in "Alert" status!

A drive I use to back-up to was 80% full. The "settings" for the volume had it set to warn at 20% remaining. I changed it to 5%, in fact I changed them all to 5%.

Sigh, panic over...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.