What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Took it, along with my DX213 Bay, up to the shed and blew
As I started reading your line, I was really worried that you’re going to say that you shot it 😱
Taking electronic devices to the shed is usually not a good sign in my books of how things will unfold (for the poor device).

Glad it was for cleaning :)

it will be a raining day, then yearly cleaning of dust from entire rack, all the airflow filters, vents, all NASes parts (disk drives, vents, inside enclosure, ...), router, switches, home computers (inside)
then data scrubbing of primary NASes
- AB4B test of Restore for all home computers (with prepared boot USB stick it’s really fast process)
... preventive treatment and practical training for my younger son

This happened a few weeks ago for me. I learned quickly that the laptop I work from, which is externally powered nearly all the time, only had a 10-minute battery reserve. I had figured on using it to gracefully shutdown the NAS and continue my web access (modem/router are on UPS). Well... that didn't work out so well. Ended up pressing the power off button on the NAS (and later, ordering a laptop battery). Later, I realized that NAS2 ethernet was fed through a switch that was not set up under the UPS. :sick:

UPS is not an optional nicety.

Discovered this morning that I had no external connectivity for remote access... calendar/contacts sync failed; DSM login via DDNS failed; all RP redirects failed; VPN connection failed; yadda yadda yadda... Alternate DDNS failed. Good grief Charley Brown!

Checked DDNS on the NAS and it held the current IP.

So I was about to try my external IP:Port to connect and thought to check my router forwarding table...

O SNAP... the entire forwarding table was gone. I have no idea what brought this about.

A fun start to my day...

Discovered this morning that I had no external connectivity for remote access... calendar/contacts sync failed; DSM login via DDNS failed; all RP redirects failed; VPN connection failed; yadda yadda yadda... Alternate DDNS failed. Good grief Charley Brown!

Checked DDNS on the NAS and it held the current IP.

So I was about to try my external IP:Port to connect and thought to check my router forwarding table...

O SNAP... the entire forwarding table was gone. I have no idea what brought this about.

A fun start to my day...
Misconfigured reverse proxy? It will throw nginx into a frenzy

Misconfigured reverse proxy? It will throw nginx into a frenzy
Well... all the port forwards in my router disappeared, so I'm unsure there's a RP connection... and after months of smooth sailing. The only thing I changed in the past week was some hours restriction in the router for a specific device. Maybe that somehow cleared port forwards... IDK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.