What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Currently reading
What did you do on your Synology NAS today?

Not today but not long ago, I decided to migrate my containers from being created in command line to compose in Portainer. Took the opportunity to also add Watchtower to monitor and auto download updated images without auto updating the stacks/containers.
So far everything seems ok :)

Grabbed a trio of WD Elements 12TB drives, to "shuck" into my 1515+.

So I've gone from 5x3TB Red's, which gave me about 10.5TB of space with one drive fault tolerance. To 3x12TB White drives giving me about 21TB of space with one drive fault tolerance. Plus I've got another couple of bays left. :)

trying to resolve port forwarding so my DS418 and DS413 are using their own unique ports. All working now except the network printer still fails to connect to PC when adding the usbprinter1. The Win 10 PC sees it but says the connection fails. This had worked before the DS418 was added and port forwarding rules were changed in my MikroTik routerboard.

Testing a local backup of my Synology to S3 storage that I built using my old Windows Home Server N40L ProLiant and its three drives of WD Red 3TB with TrueNas. I am hoping it's better than having that bunch of bare drives that I use with a ESATA dock and constantly swap out between 5 backups sets. This will make my 3-2-1 backup plan easier to manage.

trying to resolve port forwarding so my DS418 and DS413 are using their own unique ports. All working now except the network printer still fails to connect to PC when adding the usbprinter1. The Win 10 PC sees it but says the connection fails. This had worked before the DS418 was added and port forwarding rules were changed in my MikroTik routerboard.
There is a chance this could be down to Microsoft updates as well... They've done an obscene amount with network printers since the PrintNightmare vulnerability was released. I'm not actually sure they know half the damage they keep causing.

Took out a 4GB stick of Synology's "rolled on a virgin's thigh" DDR4 memory from my vendor-locked RS1221+ and replaced it with a Synology-badged 16GB ECC SODIMM; albeit not one on the compatibility list as it is the older 2400MT/s version.

Works perfectly and is recognised by the memory check (memory swindle) system...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So now running with 1 x 4GB and 1 x 16GB for 20GB total. Most of it is being used for a fast cache:

2021-12-23 at 09.55.12.png

I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but the embedded AMD CPU does still works in dual channel memory mode with mismatched RAM fitted (albeit only for the first 8GB in my case). Not unusual these days but you never know with these low-power embedded CPUs.

☕

Not a lot, we finally had the electricity fuse box (consumer unit) replaced. A combined RCB/fuse on each circuit now. Hopefully, that'll be better that the single RCB that kept tripping.
Six weeks later and no home electricity problems! Seems to have been fixed (y)

I've not been doing much new stuff with the NAS but have been adding to the home AV/amp devices that access the NAS... y'know the real reason to have the NAS :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.