Info What do you use your NAS for?

Currently reading
Info What do you use your NAS for?

Why the multiple instances of nordvpn?

1 goes via Zwitserland (see privacy reasons here).
1 goes via UK (my mom likes to watch news in the UK as wel (living in netherlands), so all *.co.uk (and bbc.com and skysports.com etc) traffic is routed via this container so alot of content is no longer blocked for us with geo-blocking
1 goes via US (also geo-blocking reasons)

That is a lot of containers.
I'm not on Rusty's level yet... :p

Updated DSM to 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 and all my containers today on my DS918+

1595691326808.png

No issue whatsoever
So far so good

What do you use your NAS for?
Today? Not much.

I've been re-ripping CDs to ALAC (iTunes with error checking ... wow this isn't boring, much). Someone really should've told me to just get a bigger disk around 15 years ago. That would've saved me doing the 128kbps to 256kbps to 320kbps to ALAC dance. Granted most of my discs have been ALAC'd a while ago but I thought I'd do the rest of the shelf [dross].

iTunes' auto artwork now fails more often due to Apple Music having many albums as re-issues "... (Remastered)", "... (NNNN remaster)", etc. So had to rely on Doug's AppleScripts to google and then paste in art.

That's all done. Now I've a few vinyl LPs that I want a digital version but they are not on streaming sites and they are out of print in both vinyl and CD. So now I'm capturing these on the MacBook Air with Audio Hijack and applying Declick, Dehum, and Denoise. Then it will be Fission to split out the recordings into tagged tracks.

Then they'll be on Plex ... and then I can say I've using Plex on my NAS to have a relaxing listen to some old LPs :)

1 goes via Zwitserland
1 goes via UK
1 goes via US

Ok. So I note you have the privoxy containers connected to each of those. How do you route the different calls to the different proxy containers? They can't all be listening on the same port.

I'm guessing you're doing something location based. But what makes the determination to route a given call to the one proxy or the other?

Ok. So I note you have the privoxy containers connected to each of those. How do you route the different calls to the different proxy containers? They can't all be listening on the same port.

I'm guessing you're doing something location based. But what makes the determination to route a given call to the one proxy or the other?

Have a look in this topic.

I've using Plex on my NAS to have a relaxing listen to some old LPs :)
Well would make pancakes with Plex if I could. Apart from that, and in the spirit of the original topic, docker/containers patch day

Old DS412+ replaced by a new DS1621xs+ with 4 Seagate EXOS x16 10Gb
Photos storage (thousands)
Synology Photos (trying to get used to it but still manage almost everything throught Lightroom)
Mail Plus
Directory Server
DNS
DHCP
Active Backup
File Server
Active Backup for 365

Need to get some time to look into Docker, installed already but empty...

Welcome and congratulations on your new NAS @Mastergumble :)

It would be nice if you can share (when you’re ready) your Lightroom experience (and setup) with the forum.

We had questions raised by a few –mostly pro– photographers on how viable is it to have a Synology NAS as the main component in their editing (with Lightroom) workflow. Main concern was editing speed, library management, caching the library, remote access performance, SSD vs. HDD and network connectivity among others.

Do you use your NAS for storage? For mail?

What do you expect from your NAS?

Share with us.
Hi,

this is Carmine from Italy, new to this Forum.
I own two Synology NAS models (DS116 and DS720+)
At present I use the NAS for personal storage and backup, download from internet and listening to liquid music (via a USB DAC attached to USB port).

Greetings!

At present I use the NAS for ... listening to liquid music (via a USB DAC attached to USB port).
I see that DSM 7 will be removing USB support for DAC, amongst other USB device types. Something to consider!

DSM 7 beta - Important Upgrade Notes
  1. USB devices (Wi-Fi dongle, Bluetooth dongle, 3G/4G dongle, USB DAC/speaker, and DTV dongle) are no longer supported. If your Synology NAS is currently connected via a wireless dongle, it will be disconnected after the update.

Last edited:
I see that DSM 7 will be removing USB support for DAC, amongst other USB device types. Something to consider!
Yeah, I already know this stuff, unfortunately ! I opened a support ticket with Synology tech support because the DS118 I bought did not manage audio reproduction from DAC attached on USB port. One of their technician told me they stopped supporting USB drivers for DACs from the x16 series on. Not a convincing reply, since many DACS won't need drivers, in Windows, MacOs and Linux ! But I'm talking from non-technical point of view.
I, luckily, have the DS116 model that still works fine, so I gave back the DS118. In my opinion, this choice to disable USB DAC support, from Synology NAS is not wise. Many of us use the NAS to listen to their music collection with headphones or send audio stream to Hi-Fi equipment (that's my case) and AudioStation is very good at this. In addition, as far as I know, no competitor (Qnap etc.) could do this, so I do not understand their decision even as marketing choice.
Definitely hope they think again about this and support again audio from DACs on USB.

Greetings.

Oh good. At least you know. So many are jumping in and installing DSM 7 beta without reading the notes.
Oh, that's not question of (only) DSM 7... Synology support told me they have kept support of audio USB DACs until the x16 NAS series. So everything after x16 series will not manage USB audio correctly. My (ex) DS118 recognized the audio USB DAC (Audioquest Dragonfly Red) but the output had much distortion, so was unlistenable.

Greetings.

Last edited:
...Many of us use the NAS to listen to their music collection with headphones or send audio stream to Hi-Fi equipment (that's my case) and AudioStation is very good at this. In addition, as far as I know, no competitor (Qnap etc.) could do this, so I do not understand their decision even as marketing choice.
just to be sure, many of users are looking for a cost first, then for quality, specially in single/two bays NAS boxes. Then producers as Syno or Qnap have downgraded HW, what stand on thin line between external disk box and NAS. Reason, why “j-class” does exist.
There are more deeper reasons in Syno (or in linux)
- linux kernel (low level drivers responsibility)
- ALSA stack responsible for cooperation between SW (player) and HW (usb audio). You can check it by “aplay” linux command. There is a fight between USB hot plug feature.
You can find some workarounds in internet.
... nothing is for free
-- post merged: --

Last reason is based on schizophrenia of Syno “like” NAS producers:
- same operation system for “j class” boxes and “data centre” rack stations.

it’s a killing cocktail- to keep all features compatible across such wide operation requirements. Then some features from some segment must disappear .... Darwin’s theory of Evolution.

Primary use for my new NAS is to handle my various media collections: movies, TV series, documentaries, stand up comedy, ebooks, comics, audiobooks... what cannot be collected? And of course you need to get all that content: private trackers, DC++, Soulseek... it's a lot of work! I also use my new NAS for backups. The old one is just storage and Sonarr/Transmission for ongoing TV series.

Beyond that, now that I have a modern NAS I'm diving into all that can be done with containers, which is pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Permissions have been the biggest hurdle for me, I resolved some issues yesterday but I'm still stuck with my Readarr container (not working at all) and Transmission refusing to write to mounted folders. One step at a time I guess! Getting the Telegraph/InfluxDB & Promtail/Logi Grafana stacks up and running was easy with the nice tutorials on Blackvoid.

Here's my current list of containers, displayed here within Organizr as I'm trying to put everything within an easy-to-use portal.

1609247403589.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.