What does a cautious man do before updating to DSM 7?

Currently reading
What does a cautious man do before updating to DSM 7?

NAS
DS218+ 8GB RAM, DS212
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Aside from the obvious need to back up all data on separate devices, what steps should be taken to reduce risk of problems, and speed recovery if problems occur, when updating from 6.x to 7.x. This is on a DS218+. I have already removed Plex which evidently can cause problems from what I've read. Wasn't really using it so no biggie to remove it.

I use the DS218+ for data storage/access from laptops and phones, and backups. I back it up to another NAS (DS212), an external USB drive, and Google Drive. Using HyperBackup, shared folder sync, Cloud Sync, and Active Backup for Business in my various backups. I am not using the DS218+ for any services like VPN/QuickConnect (have Wireguard on ER12), docker containers, etc. (use a couple Pi's for that).

Appreciate any suggestions. :)

Prepare for:
- losing Photo station and a move to synology Photo (learning curve for new way of working and loss off some functionality). Install new mobile apps.
- Some default security settings have changed: SMB2/3 now default and NTLM V2 default. Both increase security but may cause issues with connections to other devices.
- several packages were not anymore supported (some older php, mariadb etc).
There were no other issues for my DS415+ and DS920slim.

Data scrub to ensure there is no corruption.
Thanks! DOH, would have totally forgotten that on my own.
-- post merged: --

Prepare for:
- losing Photo station and a move to synology Photo (learning curve for new way of working and loss off some functionality). Install new mobile apps.
- Some default security settings have changed: SMB2/3 now default and NTLM V2 default. Both increase security but may cause issues with connections to other devices.
- several packages were not anymore supported (some older php, mariadb etc).
There were no other issues for my DS415+ and DS920slim.
Not really using any of the NAS photo capabilities, so the photo changes won't really affect me, luckily. Thanks for pointing out the security changes and your experience w/your update.

...This is on a DS218+. I have already removed Plex which evidently can cause problems from what I've read. Wasn't really using it so no biggie to remove it.

I use the DS218+ for data storage/access from laptops and phones, and backups. I back it up to another NAS (DS212), an external USB drive, and Google Drive. Using HyperBackup, shared folder sync, Cloud Sync, and Active Backup for Business in my various backups. I am not using the DS218+ for any services like VPN/QuickConnect (have Wireguard on ER12), docker containers, etc. (use a couple Pi's for that).

Appreciate any suggestions. :)
Sounds pretty much like my DS218+ with 2x 4T drives, which I moved to DSM 7 last week. I exported the settings and took various screenshots pre upgrade. Of the screenshots, one was of all my shares just in case one went missing; also my USB copy settings and tasks as I backup to an external USB 5TB drive and the most important files also go to a USB memory stick, which acts as a remote stored fire copy.

Apart from that, the upgrade went very smoothly and all has seemed fine since then.

I didn't have Plex installed, but there have been so many mentions of it, I decided a few days ago that I would try it, but it is not on docker at present.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back