NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Got a note from NAS's that Node.js V12 needed an update... So I did.... then wondered what is it used for... Checked the contents of "What's New", and read... did some other searching....

I assume that it's a support program that is used for other programs? Just nosy...

I see drive, photos, and office packages are dependent on node 12. I also see there’s a node 14 and 16. In dsm 7.1 beta, the install of one of those synology packages will install node 16. If one were to install node 16 on the current dsm 7.0 would those packages automatically switch over dependencies to the updated node version, or not until synology updates their package? I installed node 16 and then did an uninstall on the current dsm version, and didn’t receive a package dependency warning so I’m assuming synology would have to update their package to look at the updated node version.

If one were to install node 16 on the current dsm 7.0 would those packages automatically switch over dependencies to the updated node version, or not until synology updates their package? I
The dependency from packages to a version of Node.js is not something you can control, it's embedded within the package and its installer. A package that depends on Node.js v12 would be completely unaware of any local installation on v14. It's why you can have various versions installed, just like when it was not uncommon to have multiple versions of Java or PHP installed.

The dependency from packages to a version of Node.js is not something you can control, it's embedded within the package and its installer. A package that depends on Node.js v12 would be completely unaware of any local installation on v14. It's why you can have various versions installed, just like when it was not uncommon to have multiple versions of Java or PHP installed.

Thank you for the confirmation!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.