Solved What is the best way to sync files?

Currently reading
Solved What is the best way to sync files?

NAS
DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'd like to have all my files (documents) on my NAS. Well, I have them, using Drive with two-way sync for My Documents folder on Windows 10.

Is this way ok? Or is there any other better way to sync files from my NAS and have them secured on NAS if anything happens on my PC?

Thank you for your thoughts.

I’ve also asked this on the community site, and had no responses. :shocker

Previously I’ve used a windows 10 computer that was acting as a file server, using shared folders. In Windows I would change the folder location of the docs/pics/vids/downloads folder to that network share.

So the few ways that this can be done is:
- change the location of the folders to a network share

- use synology drive

The one good thing around using drive, is that you can also sync up the desktop folder. I was not able to do this by changing the folder location to the shared folder, because it would duplicate some program icons. Synology drive actually has a way where those file types can be ignored.

I’d like to also know what a best practice would be, and if there are any other ways to accomplish what wwwamp mentioned.

Drive Admin has the version control settings per team/shared folder. As long as you are happy with the number or versions and rotation type then it should be ok.

If you've implemented recycle bin on a shared/home folder then files deleted in Drive will be placed in these as well as in the user's Drive bin.

If you want to be 'belt and braces' then you can use Cloud Station Backup on your PC too. It doesn't sync NAS to PC.

There was some interesting points in this thread Use Drive to replace Cloud Station Backup?

I'd like to have all my files (documents) on my NAS. Well, I have them, using Drive with two-way sync for My Documents folder on Windows 10.

I'm using this method for myself and my family members for quite some time. Works well.

Ofcourse also syncing My Video's, My Music, My Pictures etc ..

within Wx, maybe the easiest way is to use FileHistory, you can sync e.g. your Documents folder and set NAS\folder as backup destination, you can set when and how many backups, that works like macOS time machine nad restore any versions of your doc is just drag and drop.

for sure, macOS time machine is the best solution, esp. for system restore.

within Wx, maybe the easiest way is to use FileHistory, you can sync e.g. your Documents folder and set NAS\folder as backup destination, you can set when and how many backups, that works like macOS time machine nad restore any versions of your doc is just drag and drop.

the File History is not Sync. It is backup. To be sure

I've never needed to rely on TM for system restore as it takes such a long time. For recovering files then it is useful, but for restore it's much easier is to maintain a bootable, external clone or two. I've used SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner for years now, moving to CCC as it runs without needing the user to be logged in and keeps a safety net of old files while there's enough space on the disk.

When/if there's a problem you can reboot from the external clone disk and run a 'backup' to the internal disk. A restore option is available but that just depends which order you put the disks target/destination.

I'm running TM (to old Iomega NAS, on life-support, in RAID 0) for recent file recovery then weekly and monthly clones. Actually most of my working files are now in Drive so TM is a backup option to that and for system/library files.

the File History is not Sync. It is backup. To be sure

From definition, yes, it is not Sync. But I would say File History is even better than Sync, because it could save multiple versions of a document in a day even. for example if you write a dissertation, at the end of the day it sync with NAS, but you may find you mistakenly changed the word format or delete some graphics/tables and saved to this end version? the sync-ed version at NAS would be exactly the same as at your local PC.

But File history would save several versions per day, so you can always come back and recover from old version.

I've never needed to rely on TM for system restore as it takes such a long time. For recovering files then it is useful, but for restore it's much easier is to maintain a bootable, external clone or two. I've used SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner for years now, moving to CCC ...

How about dual-boot or tri-boot system? I heard/investigated CCC or SuperDuper, but seems it can only handle one OS, esp. now every OS has its hidden partitions.

How about dual-boot or tri-boot system? I heard/investigated CCC or SuperDuper, but seems it can only handle one OS, esp. now every OS has its hidden partitions.
Not sure I get your point. They are Mac applications so yes one OS, and they backup and clone the selected disk partition. From Mac point of view it only needs one partition to run, though the recovery partition that is hidden can also be backed up by CCC. To backup additional data partitions requires additional tasks. Provided the partition can be mounted it can be cloned.

Last edited:
@fredbert:

firstly thanks for remind me about DRIVE, tried today, first experience great application:

1. Act as supplementary tools beside Time Machine, esp. can sync non HFS+ partitions which TM cannot;
  2. But I observed the transfer speed is just 1/3 ~1/4 of TM on network;
  3. The files at DS are clearly listed and sync-ed to without compression or encryption, thus pretty transparent;
  4. EDITed: one another thing I just noticed abot DRIVE, it start up indexing, which is very noisy and resource-consuming.
As referring to your last post above, I mean for PC with dual-boot or trio-boot e.g. macOS+windows+(Linux) installed, and with EFI partition on top of all for boot manager. It is always a nightmare if oneday it cannot boot up and have to restore all them.

As referring to your last post above, I mean for PC with dual-boot or trio-boot e.g. macOS+windows+(Linux) installed, and with EFI partition on top of all for boot manager. It is always a nightmare if oneday it cannot boot up and have to restore all them.
Fair point.

I've never bought a PC and I've long since stopped bothering to clone one to Parallels for occasional use. I have a work Win10 laptop and let IT dept. fix it and use our in-house cloud storage to backup working folders. If the laptop needs fixing then often it'll get re-imaged and documents downloaded from backup. Psst!! I also have an unofficial File History backup too.

Likewise for Linux: only use it (now) as either an appliance's OS, so not modified from vendor's install, or as VirtualBox playground that I don't care about. Only one I do have is a Raspberry Pi that I keep backups of my dev stuff and notes about app installs and mods.

Generally it is the data that's most important for the above systems.

Mac is where I do care about having my own full backups and that's at the partition level, since booting is from one 'blessed' partition. And I've migrated from one to the next a few times, or replacement disk, and I've hacked it too much to what to rebuild.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.