What´s the best solution based on my needs?

Currently reading
What´s the best solution based on my needs?

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Dear community!

Please let me use your brains for a second 🧠

I´m trying to create my final backup-solution even though it´s probably not even possible :oops:

I´ve got A LOT of photos (got digitals since 1999) and a bunch of videos. I just bought the Synology DS220J and it´s my first Synology product. Earlier I had a Netgear NAS, a Apple TimeCapsule and several external HDD. I also got Dropbox and iCloud. I want a solution where I can store all my photos and videos in folders chronologically and share it to my TV via app on the Apple TV. I would also like to be able to share content to friends and family.

I´ve just installed my DS220J and now I have a few questions cause I would like my file structure to be solid from the beginning. I´m trying to understand everything about the setup and the future of DSM 7 and Synology Photos.

1. What is your best tips based on my needs and my hardware?

2. How would you setup your NAS if you were in my shoes?

3. DSM 7 and Synology Photos looks interesting and maybe a good match for my needs. If I install the beta, will this work properly when I later install the final public version?

I´ve read tons of posts in this great forum but can´t say that I´ve found something with my specific "problem".

THANKS! YOU GUYS ROCK 💚

Best regards,
Joacim

I hate to break it to you, but with a DS220j you’ll be struggling to run some of the features that you (I think) want.
  1. Return it and get a plus series if possible.
  2. I’ll only use it as a file server (mainly for backup). You can use ATV to display photos too but don’t expect your 220j to do AI stuff (e.g face recognition). You can play videos that direct play to devices too.
  3. My advice is not touch anything Beta. At least wait until its first release (I’d even wait a bit longer). If you install DSM 7, it’s almost impossible to downgrade to a 6.x.
Source: I own a 120j.

Upvote 0
I hate to break it to you, but with a DS220j you’ll be struggling to run some of the features that you (I think) want.
  1. Return it and get a plus series if possible.
  2. I’ll only use it as a file server (mainly for backup). You can use ATV to display photos too but don’t expect your 220j to do AI stuff (e.g face recognition). You can play videos that direct play to devices too.
  3. My advice is not touch anything Beta. At least wait until its first release (I’d even wait a bit longer). If you install DSM 7, it’s almost impossible to downgrade to a 6.x.
Source: I own a 120j.
Thanks for your input!

1. I had a headache about what model to choose and my budget was the big issue.
I will think about this and I guess you are referring to DS220+?

2. I knew about the face recognition and thought it would not be such a drawback.

3. Great feedback!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Sticking with the DS220j and anticipating a migration to stable DSM 7 at a later date...

The DSM 7 Synology Photos package is most like DSM 6 Synology Moments, so don’t try setting up Photo Station even though it is lighter on resources. As mentioned, the j series lacks the oomph and RAM that Moments really needs but try switching off as much of the tagging options as possible then the loading up of 1000s of photos will be marginally quicker.

You can then share to others via Moments.

Alternatively you could consider Plex and allow others to access the Plex server to view libraries of photos and videos. But they should be in the right format to allow viewing without transcoding in real time.

For viewing on Apple TV then if 4K or HD then Plex app can also be an option. There is no Moments app for Apple TV and unlikely for Synology Photos. I have a DS215j and it runs Plex well enough for direct play, but I upgraded to a DS218+ when I wanted to really use Moments, Drive, Video Station etc.

Other options on Apple TV would be an app that can connect to network shares or navigate DLNA/UPnP (served by Media Server or Plex). VLC app can do this but it’s somewhat less easy to navigate.

I’ve recently installed DSM 7 beta on the DS215j. It does light work as a Time Machine backup destination (will migrate all our Macs to it) but it does seem (subjective) to be a bit snappier than it was with DSM 6. I wouldn’t have upgrade to DSM 7 if it was my only NAS but it wasn’t going to be a problem if there were bugs in the beta.

Upvote 0
If you can stretch your budget to a 920+, I’d go with that. If anyone (serious) asks me now what do I recommend as a first NAS, my answer is a minimum of 4 bay plus series NAS if you can afford it (talking Synology of course as I have no experience with others).

You can start with a 920+ and two drives and expand as you grow (and learn).
A plus series will open up a world of possibilities with Docker (can run on plus series only).

If a 920+ is not possible then a 220+. I have one and I really like it and recommend it. However, mirroring is expensive (50% of your storage space is gone), that’s why RAID 5 storage can be cheaper, or cheaper and more flexible (SHR).

If all you want is to backup your laptop, serve some files, direct play videos and a “set it up and forget it” kind of device, then go for the 220j but don’t expect much. If you like tinkering, trying different things and learning, a plus model is better suited.

On the flip side, I can run Emby on my 120j and it plays anything that doesn’t require transcoding to Apple TV 4K and an iPad Pro. I once tried installing Infuse on the Apple TV (pointing it to the 120j) and it played almost everything I threw at it (transcoding is done on the device not on the NAS) but I didn’t like the Infuse interface that much, although you can have it as a front end to Emby on the NAS (so Emby manages the library). So that’s an option too.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Upvote 0
While I seem to have been swimming against the tide, I was mindful of this response:
1. I had a headache about what model to choose and my budget was the big issue.
I will think about this and I guess you are referring to DS220+?

As most will be aware (see my NAS 'journey') I'm fully in agreement about going straight to the plus series. However, there can be good reasons for getting a j-series and a lack of medium-term funds seems to be a good one to me: put the difference towards the drive costs. This then requires information about how hobbled the j-series will be versus what you want to do. Hence how I tried to reply.

My recent re-purposing of my original DS215j shows it to be, for my usage, good for network-based Time Machine backups from a few Macs. Plus a recent test with Plex gave nigh-on 100% CPU usage when streaming 1080p MKV from Blu-ray with real time transcoding of DTS-HD MA to stereo. Granted the Plex test was when no tag processing of other activity was happening on the NAS.

Going back to buying 'my first NAS': they all look expensive when comparing to a USB enclosure, and that includes TBs of diskspace. There are many hurdles to get over before accepting that the price of a plus series NAS with NAS rated HD is really a good investment. Most of us have cleared those mental hurdles but many still have the CFO to convince on new purchases :) Now imagine how it was when we were just starting out, and all those j-series NAS we have! Being used as the destination of backup tasks.

Off-topic: I was looking at tutorials for using a Raspberry Pi 4 as a Plex server. It seemed to be a similar case on 'no transcode' but people were interested to do it. Sweating lower spec hardware seems to have a following.

Upvote 0
THANKS FOR THE HELP @WST16, @fredbert, @Rusty and @Gerard 🙏🤩

Your input totally changed my mind.
I went back to the store just a few moments ago to return my DS220J and buy the DS220+ 😎

Hopefully this solution will better suit what i´m trying to achieve.
I think a lot of people can relate to my needs and hopefully I can help people in the future as you guys have helped me 😊

I´m glad you challenged me and I guess I rather invest the extra money today instead of getting upset in the future. I will check out Emby and other solutions. I´m searching for a easy way for my family to enjoy all of our content via our Apple TV 4K.

Have a great weekend 🥳

Upvote 0
will check out Emby and other solutions. I´m searching for a easy way for my family to enjoy all of our content via our Apple TV 4K.
Lots of options in that case. My vote is Plex as @fredbert said numerous times, but Embry will do just as well.

Upvote 0
I´m searching for a easy way for my family to enjoy all of our content via our Apple TV 4K.
Plex Media Server on the NAS and Plex app on Apple TV 4K. For me getting a lifetime Plex Pass has been worth it as it allows separate user accounts and each can have different age access, played media, etc.

Otherwise there's Emby mentioned by @WST16 but I've not used it.

Video Station works and is free but doesn't do music, photos, or the other media types of Plex. I still have this setup but it's only there now in the case of Plex not working, should that ever happen.

Upvote 0
Congratulations :)
You’ll enjoy playing with it and trying a lot of things.

Later you may want to upgrade the memory. I added a 4GB (for a total of 6GB) and I felt it made a big difference. It was relatively cheap for about $15.

My advice, if you’re not in extreme hurry to put the 220+ into “production”, is to try as many things as you want, to learn and have a feel for some of the packages.

Once you feel you’re ready, reset it and start fresh to set up your “production” NAS.

Stay away from DSM 7 for now.

Upvote 0
Oh no, just as I was starting to play around with my 220+ to get a feel for the packages (as @WST16 mentioned), one of my Seagate Ironwolf HDD seem to be malfunctioning :ROFLMAO:😭 Is it possible to fix a drive or must I have another chat with my reseller 😳

Upvote 0
You can run and continue your “pro” certification over the weekend with one disk.

I agree since it’s not production “mode” just yet, just keep messing with it, all the while trying to get a replacement disk. By the time the replacement disk comes in, pop it in and watch how the rebuild happens. Once done messing with it, reset it and set it up for your in use production environment

Upvote 0
What´s your opinion on RAID1 vs. SHR?
RAID# vs SHR(1/2) will depend on your current and future needs. If you are planing to mix different size drives, go with SHR. If not, stick with RAID. Also, not that in the future if you plan on migrating to a larger model with existing drives, you might not get SHR support. Some higher-end models do not support it.

Upvote 0
I vote to accept the presented default SHR. I’m not sure it’ll make any difference now, but I think it’ll make your migration to the DS924+ easier (when you move the two disks and expand with different sizes) ;)

Unless you plan to go big and migrate to a model with no SHR support. You can always backup and restore.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.