Currently reading
Question What SHOULD I use my 718+ for/misc questions

NAS
DS-718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Apologies if this asks to much in one thread. Mods: Let me know if you prefer I break things out.

Santa brought us a DS-718+ and I've got it set up. It currently only has one disk in it, but I plan to add to it. A fair criticism is that I am likely not using its full capabilities, so I'd like some help with that. I had basic plans for it:

1. Central file repository;
2. Central backup location;
3. Music serving (Plex).

What else should I consider using this for, considering this is a household NAS?

Misc questions:

1. I've set up users, but for any user to access the NAS, even from a trusted computer, requires login and password. Do I need to map network drives to eliminate the log in?

2. I've given all the users permissions to most folders, but what I really want is for their log in view to default to their storage folder on the NAS. How do I do that?

3. For backups, I tried Active Backup for Business, but didn't care for it. I like to do one full backup per month and an incremental once per week. It seemed to me that ABB would only do full backups. Even if it did both, I'd have to uninstall Macrium (which I'm happy with) and install ABB on each computer. I'm not seeing what switching gets me that I don't already have.

4. Not thrilled with the fact that I can only listen to 1 minute of my own music on my own server with Plex. Would love another option.

5. Lastly, I have a daughter headed to college in the fall (if the world isn't over). While I'm sure she will have the college version of Google Drive or Dropbox on the university's servers, I'd like to set her up with the same on our NAS. That way, if we need to transfer documents to her with social security numbers or financial information, we can do so without it going into someone else's hands. I'm confident that's possible, but dont know how to do that. Note that I'd also like to see her have access to it through her phone, if possible (ios).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.

CheapDad

1. I enter //nasname (or //nasIP ... you should assign it a fixed IP) and then I see all shares in Windows File Explorer (after entering my login credentials). I only map folder temporarily when I have a program that won't find the NAS as a network device.

2. Activate homes service (Control Panel) and each user will have a private file structure under /home. Of course, they will still see shared folders (that's why they are called "shared").

3. I get this too. I wanted to like ABB but it pales in comparison to Marcriu Reflect. If I had 6+ PCs around, then maybe ABB would get my attention.

4. Don't know why that is happening. There are no time limits on Plex music play. Something else is going on here.

5. You can set up VPN server on the NAS, and she can connect by VPN and access her files via the DS File app.

Hopefully, you have backups for all the stuff you have on the NAS. Even if you add a second disk to mirror the first, an independent back will be a lifesaver when things go sideways.

3. ABB s far superior to most solutions out there and you can set it up the way you described it you just need to research a bit more.

4. Guessing you are talking about playing via ios version of Plex? If so, you will need to do a one time pay to unlock it.

Rest were already well answered

Following are just some ideas from an amateur user ( proceed with caution :rolleyes: )

1. If user and password is the same for windows user and NAS user, you don't need authentication. Otherwise I think there is an option to remember credentials (I am paranoid and type them every time). And also the option to map drives. It will take some to fine tume permissions and everything.

2. I don't use and don''t know

3. You can continue to use Macrium for image backups of your PCs and use Drive or any 3rd party software for additional backup of user data (with versions etc). I use Macrium for image backups, SyncBack for some data and Cloudstation on Linux (for backing up not synchronizing).

4. You can setup an MPD or other player like Volumio on an old netbook (it doesn't even requires installation) or on a Raspberry Pi and control it with any android/iOS phone or tablet.
(I use Volumio on an old 2 Gb stick that runs on an ancient eeePC not installed on it)

5. I feel better having setup a VPN server on my firewall router. In case of my fault or other bug, there will be additional layer of security before reaching my NAS.

Thank you, Telos.

2. Homes: I've activated it for my user account and will check it out.

4. It appears that Plex places limits unless you buy a Plex pass.

5. I've been thinking about VPN Server. Are you suggesting it for accessing her files from a public computer? Or some other reason?

3. ABB s far superior to most solutions out there and you can set it up the way you described it you just need to research a bit more.

4. Guessing you are talking about playing via ios version of Plex? If so, you will need to do a one time pay to unlock it.

Rest were already well answered

Thank you Rusty! I think the issue is that there isn't a dullard version of the setup instructions.

Following are just some ideas from an amateur user ( proceed with caution :rolleyes: )

1. If user and password is the same for windows user and NAS user, you don't need authentication. Otherwise I think there is an option to remember credentials (I am paranoid and type them every time). And also the option to map drives. It will take some to fine tume permissions and everything.

2. I don't use and don''t know

3. You can continue to use Macrium for image backups of your PCs and use Drive or any 3rd party software for additional backup of user data (with versions etc). I use Macrium for image backups, SyncBack for some data and Cloudstation on Linux (for backing up not synchronizing).

4. You can setup an MPD or other player like Volumio on an old netbook (it doesn't even requires installation) or on a Raspberry Pi and control it with any android/iOS phone or tablet.
(I use Volumio on an old 2 Gb stick that runs on an ancient eeePC not installed on it)

5. I feel better having setup a VPN server on my firewall router. In case of my fault or other bug, there will be additional layer of security before reaching my NAS.

1. I generally don't remember any passwords as a security function.

3. Will check those out.

4. I'm hoping for a more user friendly method, primarily for others in the family.

5. I have internet to router to unmanaged switch to NAS. Are suggesting a second router solely for a firewall? Or are you talking the firewall settings in your router?

1. I generally don't remember any passwords as a security function.

3. Will check those out.

4. I'm hoping for a more user friendly method, primarily for others in the family.

5. I have internet to router to unmanaged switch to NAS. Are suggesting a second router solely for a firewall? Or are you talking the firewall settings in your router?

5. I mean to run a VPN server on your router (not a second router). I believe it is safer for the data on the NAS and easier to setup as it doesn't require port forwarding on the router. My router is a mini PC with Sophos XG installed, but the best consumer routers support running a VPN server. If you open WAN access to your LAN you have to invest in a good router. Otherwise you can use the Synology QuickConnect service (I don't).

Last edited:
More dumb questions:

1. For quickconnect, it's appearing to be smarter than me. I've enabled it, but when I put the quickconnect ID into the DS File app on my phone, it still asks for the IP, which is local. I thought quickconnect would enable me to access the NAS anywhere.

2. In my test of DS File with "homes" enabled, DS File defaults to showing me the entire NAS, rather than just the "homes" folder. Is there a way to tell DS File to start in the "homes" folder?

3. I also installed Synology Drive on my phone, which seems to be what I'm looking for in #2. However, I have no idea where on the NAS it's connecting to. Edit: Just found it. Drive creates a folder in homes.

Last edited:
4. It appears that Plex places limits unless you buy a Plex pass.

Plex Pass is not required for audio play. It does give some features as sound-leveling and intertrack fades.

Rusty mentioned app cost... for example, iOS App Activation (4.99 USD one-time cost) ... That might be your issue?

5. I've been thinking about VPN Server. Are you suggesting it for accessing her files from a public computer? Or some other reason?

No... but when using an internet service that is not yours. For accessing personal files from anywhere that is not your home network, I would use a VPN.

Nothing can protect against using a public computer. She shouldn't access her personal files from there. Public computer use should be avoided for all but casual surfing.

2. In my test of DS File with "homes" enabled, DS File defaults to showing me the entire NAS, rather than just the "homes" folder. Is there a way to tell DS File to start in the "homes" folder?

1. Be sure to create a separate, regular user account, for yourself. You should only use the admin account when performing administrative duties (managing users, installing packages...). For your personal files, photos, media, use your user account.

2. DS File shows all the shared folders you have access for. You cannot start in your /home folder (assuming you are logged in as a regular user). But it's one touch away.

What else should I consider using this for, considering this is a household NAS?

You can use it for surveillance too if you wish. You’ve a license for the use of two cameras already included.

Also enabling VPN on it (or on a VPN capable router) will provide access to other IP devices around the house remotely (like if you’re on your home network), if that’s something you think might be useful.

4. As I've just found after setting a Plex server, music is limited to 1 minute playback on the Android Plex client too, at a cost of a Plex pass or one time activation of £3.50. I don't like Audiostation/DS Audio as it's so slow and just locks up for no apparent reason and there seems to be transcoding going on (to mp3 or wav) as well as downloading every track despite setting that to no songs. So it looks like I'll have to pay for Plex - ho hum.

@pxr5 Is that really so? I'm sure that before I purchased a Plex Pass that music wasn't limited to 1 minute. Likewise with AS/DS audio there wasn't any issue playing music either (on my DS215j before getting the DS218+).

Are you sure that your settings or network aren't causing the issues? What formats are the original files?

Definitely app related. Playing through a web browser and there is not a 1 minute limit. I suppose using chrome on my phone is a way around the restriction.

All my music is flac - about 2TB worth. With DS Audio I could open a folder fine, then the next one simply wouldn't work. The NAS went to 100% CPU use for 10 minutes ot so. Also like I said the download/transcode is a pain too, which why I've gone to Pex now.

To see if it is app related, play music via the web browser. Is the 1-minute limit there (I think not). FWIW the Apple Store Plex app is not free.
A memory-related issue on my part there. It took some digging but you're right there's a $5 fee for the Plex app to lift the 1 minute limit, when using without a Plex Pass.

If you're not already using a password manager (Lastpass or similar) (or even if you are, given your aversion to putting personal stuff on Dropbox, etc.), you might want to consider installing Docker, and, under that, Bitwarden, which is a free password manager. Each person in the family can be given their own private account, inaccessible even to the administrator (you), where they can easily store all their passwords to all the various online (and offline) resources they access. This encourages them to use a different password for each resource, and not to memorize their passwords, which is all to the good. And, once you've installed Docker, you'll find an INFINITE number of Docker apps to try out.

2. DS File shows all the shared folders you have access for. You cannot start in your /home folder (assuming you are logged in as a regular user). But it's one touch away.

in the DS File app (I’m looking on ios) you can set favorites. When you open the app click favorites and it will have the folders that you wish to list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.