Currently reading
What to do before moving NAS to new location

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Pretty simple really - I am going to be moving my main NAS from my flat to my girlfriend's.

I'm pretty sure her LAN is 192.168.5.1 (so I have given access to that in the firewall) - but I can't be sure

I think I should change from static IP to dynamic/DHCP too

Anything else? Are there ports/services that should be running for the synology NAS finder thingy to operate?

I'm pretty sure her LAN is 192.168.5.1 (so I have given access to that in the firewall) - but I can't be sure
Drop the firewall initially.
I think I should change from static IP to dynamic/DHCP too
I advise that you leave (always) the NAS at DHCP, and set its IP via the host router.
Anything else?
Remove the drives prior to physically moving the NAS. Reinstall only when the NAS has found its new resting place.

Drop the firewall initially.

I advise that you leave (always) the NAS at DHCP, and set its IP via the host router.

Remove the drives prior to physically moving the NAS. Reinstall only when the NAS has found its new resting place.

Thanks for the tips 👌

Re removing the drives - I'm only driving across London, do you think this is necessary? If so, I've lost the original boxes so they will have to be wrapped in tshirts or something similar.... is this ok?!

if you cover the NAS with sufficient consideration to avoid some damage, it is much more convenient than pulling out the drives and exposing them to diff damage (static, physical damage) if you don't have suitable covers for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.