What to do with my old NAS?

NAS
DS220j,DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
About 6 months ago I bought my first NAS for my home/office setup, a DS220J with 2 x 2TB Seagate Iron Wolf drives.
I’ve now bought a DS220+ with 2 x 8TB Seagate Iron Wolf drives - a vast improvement!
My question is: what should I do with the DS220J? Sell it or put it to some other use?

Time Machine NAS.
Hyper Backup destination for off-NAS backup (safer than using a direct USB on the DS220+).
DSM 7 beta testbed (there's only an unofficial method to roll a NAS back to DSM 6).
Playground to find out how DSM stuff works, or doesn't, and can rebuild if the worst happens.

Upvote 0
DSM 7 beta testbed (there's only an unofficial method to roll a NAS back to DSM 6).
His DS220+ can also do that with vDSM ...

My question is: what should I do with the DS220J? Sell it or put it to some other use?
I'd also use it as a backup unit. OR (if you already have a solid backup solution) as a DR unit for your fileshares (meaning: sync it with Drive).

Upvote 0
I will follow fredbert's example and set up a Time Machine backup on the DS220j.
Good plan.

If you have more than one Mac, like we have, then creating a DSM user per Mac, used exclusively for TM, will allow you to apply a storage quota on each user: the quota assigned being relative to a Mac's internal storage, and TM will manage usage based on the quota. The reason being that when we used an Airport Extreme and USB drive there was always contention between Macs when space got low. Also, quotas on Shared Folders aren't supported by DSM with the ext4 filesystem, so stops TM Macs eating all the storage space.

I don't know how you're planning to backup the DS220+: Hyper Backup to local USB drive? If you're doing this then you can move the USB drive to the DS220j, [can change the shared folder name from usbshareN if you like,] install Hyper Backup Vault, and then on DS220+ create a new HB task that relinks to the old task's vault. Test it works and then remove the original HB task.

Why? Should there malware or other unwanted activity on the DS220+ then all areas of the NAS, including local USB drives, are exposed via the file system structure and command line utilities. By moving the HB vault off the NAS to another NAS will isolate that data from direct access.

Other things that the DS220j can easily do, lightweight network services:
  • Run a local DNS Server on the main NAS? Run DNS Server as a slave zone (sync copy) on the DS220j and can be switched to a master zone should there ever be a need.
  • DLNA/UPnP audio streamer with Media Server.
  • Log server for all local devices sending to syslog.
Finally, install CMS on the DS220+ and you can easily monitor and manage the DS220j.

Upvote 0
Reading this thread brought up a question for me. I have a DS718+ that I've since upgraded. I want to use the 718+ as Hyper Backup for the new main NAS. Do I wipe the old drives (all new drives in the new NAS) and start new or can I do it some other way? All the original data is on the old NAS still.

Upvote 0
I have a DS718+ that I've since upgraded. I want to use the 718+ as Hyper Backup for the new main NAS. Do I wipe the old drives (all new drives in the new NAS) and start new or can I do it some other way?
Unless you want to set up from scratch (logins, etc), I would simply delete the existing volume, create a new volume of your preference (I use RAID0, though if you want btrfs bitrot protection, you'll need to use SHR or RAID1) and install Hyper Backup vault.

Done.

Upvote 0
If security is more important than speed, then use it as a jumpbox device and prevent direct access to your new nas (from internet)

you can also divide your data. I put data like films, software images etc. on the jumpbox.

If you have spare small SSD, it could be faster with lower power consumption :) AND quieter!

RTD1296 is good SoC for basic functionality. You can disconnect the fan if you’re using SSD and it’s function as a jumpbox / other basic use.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.