RT2600ac when running a VPN on my router, can i target just Download station and nothing else?

Currently reading
RT2600ac when running a VPN on my router, can i target just Download station and nothing else?

Hi @Rusty, I've done my best to follow the instructions. I have set up the folders, added the the ovpn file in the ovpn folder, within config, and have added the username and password. I have filed out the rest the best I can.

Can you see what I've done wrong? Sorry if its very dummy 😂 View attachment 1721
The problem here is that you have not run that whole command as a single line. Make sure to remove the \ characters at the end and replace them with single space. That way you will get a single line docker run command. Run that via ssh and as a return you should only get a long letters and numbers container label. That means that you have created the container successfully.

The problem here is that you have not run that whole command as a single line. Make sure to remove the \ characters at the end and replace them with single space. That way you will get a single line docker run command. Run that via ssh and as a return you should only get a long letters and numbers container label. That means that you have created the container successfully.

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 15.00.40.pngI am pasting the command like this, but it still comes up with like the last pic I sent. Does any of the content look wrong?

hi @WST16, I will look at that also. Are you saying that I can VPN a the VDSM so that it doesn't affect the the port forwarding on my actual DSM? That would be pretty ace.

Either way, im quite enjoying learning what I can do with my DS and the possibilities of SSH. Appreciate all your help.

I am pasting the command like this, but it still comes up with like the last pic I sent. Does any of the content look wrong?
just make sure that all of that is a single continues line (with no breaks) and it will work.

Are you saying that I can VPN a the VDSM so that it doesn't affect the the port forwarding on my actual DSM? That would be pretty ace.
I'm running that as well, and yes, that's what it means. VDSM will be another DSM instance on your network with it own lan ip address. Setting up a VPN inside it will not affect any services on the main NAS host level.

Are you saying that I can VPN a the VDSM so that it doesn't affect the the port forwarding on my actual DSM? That would be pretty ace.
Actually, it depends on what you can achieve with your provider’s VPN. You’ve already mentioned that you can access your NAS via their VPN service (you can use that to access VDSM for management if you’re not on your LAN). Or you can run Synology’s VPN package on the 918+ and access it like if you’re on your LAN. We don’t need VDSM for streaming.

Let me try to clarify…
  • You already have a single free VDSM (Virtual DSM) license.
  • Think of VDSM as a another DiskStation on your LAN. It will have its own IP address and you can login to it like you login to your DSM on the 918+ (except that it’s virtual).
  • On VDSM, you’ll install Download Station.
  • On VDSM’s network settings, you’ll add a new profile for your VPN service.
  • Now VDSM is always running with a VPN connection (although we need to control what happens if it disconnects so you won’t be exposed. Can be done).
  • Now for Download Station. We want it to save the dloaded files to the host machine, your actual 918+ (DSM not VDSM) so that you can access your Video Station, Plex, Emby or whatever media manager you’re using (that is installed on your DSM) via your normal WAN connection (whether it’s VPN or a regular external connection). This is the separation that you’re looking for.
  • For that, you’ll create download folders on DSM (movies, TV shows, audio, etc…) and mount them (using CIFS via File Station) on the VDSM for Download station to use them. When a dload finishes, it’ll be saved to your DSM folder where it can be managed by your media manager.
It’s not difficult at all. I find it much easier than struggling with Docker :)
If you have a problem with any of the points above, I can try to further explain.

We need to do something about this asap!
Not lucky I guess.
Back in college I programmed in assembly and C. It was ok. Never ever liked Java (I’ve never actually used it), but it scared me with its long variables. I think I have the same feeling when I look at Docker. Maybe it’s the Java phobia. I should see a shrink for a few Docker sessions 🤣

Actually, it depends on what you can achieve with your provider’s VPN. You’ve already mentioned that you can access your NAS via their VPN service (you can use that to access VDSM for management if you’re not on your LAN). Or you can run Synology’s VPN package on the 918+ and access it like if you’re on your LAN. We don’t need VDSM for streaming.

Let me try to clarify…
  • You already have a single free VDSM (Virtual DSM) license.
  • Think of VDSM as a another DiskStation on your LAN. It will have its own IP address and you can login to it like you login to your DSM on the 918+ (except that it’s virtual).
  • On VDSM, you’ll install Download Station.
  • On VDSM’s network settings, you’ll add a new profile for your VPN service.
  • Now VDSM is always running with a VPN connection (although we need to control what happens if it disconnects so you won’t be exposed. Can be done).
  • Now for Download Station. We want it to save the dloaded files to the host machine, your actual 918+ (DSM not VDSM) so that you can access your Video Station, Plex, Emby or whatever media manager you’re using (that is installed on your DSM) via your normal WAN connection (whether it’s VPN or a regular external connection). This is the separation that you’re looking for.
  • For that, you’ll create download folders on DSM (movies, TV shows, audio, etc…) and mount them (using CIFS via File Station) on the VDSM for Download station to use them. When a dload finishes, it’ll be saved to your DSM folder where it can be managed by your media manager.
It’s not difficult at all. I find it much easier than struggling with Docker :)
If you have a problem with any of the points above, I can try to further explain.
The issue I want to overcome is being able to remotely stream with port forwarding on, whilst also downloading content behind a VPN. I've been using ExpressVPN, would Synology's VPN package allow me to keep port forwarding rules when its on?

The above post sounds like exactly what I need 😁 But I have never heard of CIFS?
Ive had a play with VMM, Ive managed to download the VDSM image and get the licence, but how do I run it? how do I give it its own IP address? It shows up on the VMM as a DSM Image, but the 'virtual machine' tab Is empty.Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 16.13.33.png

Sorry. Yes. You can have Synology’s vpn enabled and forward any ports like if it’s not there. However, continue with the VDSM and then asses your needs once done.
I've done it 😁 just installing Download station now and will add my VPN files. Just need to understand how to set the path for downloads to go to my actual DSM file station, that Plex uses.

Great. We’re making progress, and no one needs to visit any shrinks so far :ROFLMAO:

Don’t forget that you’ll need a “kill switch” too for when the VPN connection is down. If you have a Synology router, I think you can do it with the policy thing. I don’t have one so far (planning to smuggle one in soon). So I use the poor man’s kill switch which is to remove the default gateway once the VPN connects. If it goes down, your download station will not be able to continue through your ISP exposed link.

If you can control the policy with your router then you can have the “reconnect when the vpn connection is down” and of course keep the gateway.

For the folder mounts. on VDSM, create a share, call it “mp”. Short for mount point. Under it create folders that we’ll use to mount the folders on the DSM (your media folders) via CIFS.

I created a user on DSM and restricted it to the privilege of seeing the media folders only (read/write permission). I use this user for mounting the folders. Not sure if it makes a difference in the overall scheme of things, but I like to separate things and tasks.

Then you go to VDSM, file station, tools, mount remote CIFS shared folder and add the credentials to mount them.

I’m not sure about all this VPN stuff. I think (not sure) I read somewhere that ExpressVPN is owned by a Chinese company. Don’t know what goes on there!

@SynoMan said he’ll launch our own SynoForum satellites. We’ll have all our VPN traffic through it. No one can trace you (except @SynoMan of course). He’ll have an evil cat with one blue eye. And we’ll conquer the world.

Would you be interested in subscribing to such a service? It comes with an exclusive access to a pool full of piranha fish too when you need it 😀

Great. We’re making progress, and no one needs to visit any shrinks so far :ROFLMAO:

Don’t forget that you’ll need a “kill switch” too for when the VPN connection is down. If you have a Synology router, I think you can do it with the policy thing. I don’t have one so far (planning to smuggle one in soon). So I use the poor man’s kill switch which is to remove the default gateway once the VPN connects. If it goes down, your download station will not be able to continue through your ISP exposed link.

If you can control the policy with your router then you can have the “reconnect when the vpn connection is down” and of course keep the gateway.

For the folder mounts. on VDSM, create a share, call it “mp”. Short for mount point. Under it create folders that we’ll use to mount the folders on the DSM (your media folders) via CIFS.

I created a user on DSM and restricted it to the privilege of seeing the media folders only (read/write permission). I use this user for mounting the folders. Not sure if it makes a difference in the overall scheme of things, but I like to separate things and tasks.

Then you go to VDSM, file station, tools, mount remote CIFS shared folder and add the credentials to mount them.
Yes we certainly are, I appreciate yours and @Rusty's help! I have zero IT training apart from using Microsoft office at secondary school, with the little clip thingy 😂 but im ok at basic things, (SSH look scary 😭😂) and im pretty good at following instructions, so I've got fairly decent at learning through forums like this or YouTube.

ive set up my router to VPN my VDSM IP only, so now I can access the VDSM download station on my phone (DS Get) and download stuff behind a VPN. It takes a few extra seconds to open the app remotely, but that's fine. Plex and ds video are still port forwarded and stream remotely with no issue.

I've done the policy thing on my rt2600ac. so that's all good 👍🏻

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 17.44.57.pngScreenshot 2020-06-27 at 17.45.45.png

Ok, so the first image is what I think you wanted me to do on my VDSM, I don't understand what I need to do next though?

I’m not sure about all this VPN stuff. I think (not sure) I read somewhere that ExpressVPN is owned by a Chinese company. Don’t know what goes on there!

@SynoMan said he’ll launch our own SynoForum satellites. We’ll have all our VPN traffic through it. No one can trace you (except @SynoMan of course). He’ll have an evil cat with one blue eye. And we’ll conquer the world.

Would you be interested in subscribing to such a service? It comes with an exclusive access to a pool full of piranha fish too when you need it 😀

Chinese eh? well unless they take over the world, im safe 😂

The pool of piranha fish would act as an excellent shredder!

Excellent :)

BTW, Don‘t forget to give VDSM a static or a fixed IP address (just like you do with DSM).

Ok. mp is on vdsm. You have two empty folders under it (films and TV). I think you could’ve called them the same names as in DSM.
Anyway, let’s do one and then you can play and experment.

On VDSM (the first screenshot) go file station, tools, mount remote CIFS shared folder.
Try this:

E38E75A7-3D5E-459E-9E9E-CEA8291E4CC3.jpeg

Excellent :)

BTW, Don‘t forget to give VDSM a static or a fixed IP address (just like you do with DSM).

Ok. mp is on vdsm. You have two empty folders under it (films and TV). I think you could’ve called them the same names as in DSM.
Anyway, let’s do one and then you can play and experment.

On VDSM (the first screenshot) go file station, tools, mount remote CIFS shared folder.
Try this:

View attachment 1733
Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 18.26.36.pngScreenshot 2020-06-27 at 18.28.17.pngDone. It's connected to my DSM folders 😁 Do I just set the Download station to this file path now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.