RT2600ac when running a VPN on my router, can i target just Download station and nothing else?

Currently reading
RT2600ac when running a VPN on my router, can i target just Download station and nothing else?

Yes. Download station goes to one of the folders under mp that are mapped to a folder on the DSM.
Mounted folders look different. On VDSM the mounted folders will have a pipe under them.
Here’s a long version if you need it :)
It works! Thanks so very much for helping me out. This is an awesome solution that I think will be my primary means as I can still utilise my DS mobile apps this way too.

I do now have the same folder names, deleted the old ones. thanks very much mate.

ive configured my router to pass my VDSM IP through a VPN, but not any other IP address. So I can keep my downloading private but also port forward remote streaming and enjoy the internet speeds ive payed for.

ive configured my router to pass my VDSM IP through a VPN, but not any other IP address. So I can keep my downloading private but also port forward remote streaming and enjoy the internet speeds ive payed for.
I’m trying to figure out where did you do that. As I said, I don’t have the 2600, but I’m curious (as a potential buyer).

I found this video tour (albeit a bit old). I can’t figure out where to control outbound traffic for individual clients on the LAN!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m trying to figure out where did you do that. As I said, I don’t have the 2600, but I’m curious (as a potential buyer).

I found this video tour (albeit a bit old). I can’t figure out where to control outbound traffic for individual clients on the LAN!

I can't find the video that educated me, so bear with me:

1. Goto Network centre:
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.34.21.png

2. goto internet, then VPN settings:
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.35.54.png

3. Here you'll find the same interface for adding VPN's as you do on DSM, so add what you have and connect. This will pass all of your router traffic through the VPN:
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.38.06.png

4. Then click on smart WAN:
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.38.29.png

5. You'll see the set up here. first click on 'interface priority:
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.39.57.png

6. Make WAN number 1, VPN number 2. That way all your internet traffic will go through your normal route, not the VPN.
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.41.44.png

7. Then click on policy route. Create a route, add your desired IP, and select VPN on the 'interface' drop down menu.
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.44.47.png

Now This one selected IP is running through the VPN, whilst the rest of the IP's in the network remain on the WAN. You can pick as many IP's as you want to use the VPN instead.

I see. So you’ve actually used the 2nd WAN port for VPN. I thought the VDSM was configured to connect to VPN through its own network interface. Didn’t know that you can do this.

The few tutorials I saw talks about the 2nd WAN port as a failover port only. It’s clear now. This opens up a lot of possibilities :)
Thank you for posting the screenshots :)

I see. So you’ve actually used the 2nd WAN port for VPN. I thought the VDSM was configured to connect to VPN through its own network interface. Didn’t know that you can do this.

The few tutorials I saw talks about the 2nd WAN port as a failover port only. It’s clear now. This opens up a lot of possibilities :)
Thank you for posting the screenshots :)

No probs. You can also configure the VDSM to connect to VPN through its own interface too.

Hello all, Im coming back to this excellent thread because I've run into a problem and I can't see how to fix it:

I got the RT6600AX to replace my 2600AC. It's changed my DS918+ IP and I think that's why it's messed up my mounted folder config that I set up a couple of years ago from all the ace help from this thread.

Is there a way of changing the file path? it'd be an easy fix of just changing the destination IP address? I can't find a way? I've tried deleting the current one and starting again, but it will not let me. I've also tried to start another Mount Point, and it says I have my maximum number of folders :-/

Does anyone know what to do please?

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 18.07.03.png

I've tried these and they don't seem helpful? here i screen recoreded. Max is 1 min on Imgur.

For what it's worth, I set up a Raspberry Pi as a torrent box.

It uses qBittorrent and NordVPN and downloads files directly to the DS. Obviously as it's qBit it's really customisable. And the NordVPN RPi app has a killswitch, autoconnect etc built in 👌

qBit has the option to access the interface from a browser on the network., so if I'm away from home, all I have to do is VPN to my DS and then open the qBit page to get torrents going/check them etc. And (I only found this out shortly after setting this up) that you can add various torrent sites to the inbuilt search function in qBittorrent - so literally everything can be done from one page.

It's much much easier than setting up on DSM... imo. The tricky part is getting your hands on a Raspberry Pi but I think quite a few people (especially those who hang out on a NAS forum..!) have them knocking about.

e: I tried first on docker and it was so complicated I gave up. Maybe vDSM would have been a better option - but from the posts here it's not straightforwards!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.