When was the last time you cleaned your NAS (outside and inside)?

Currently reading
When was the last time you cleaned your NAS (outside and inside)?

SynoMan

Administrator
Founder
www.synoforum.com
NAS
DS720+, DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 18.42.59.png

For me, that day was today :) Finally! My poor DS418play needed a complete cleaning...

Once a year I shut them down, take the hard drives out and blow them out. Surprising how dirty they get.

View attachment 4236

For me, that day was today :) Finally! My poor DS418play needed a complete cleaning...

Yikes! Even my DS1517+ looks nothing like that. Maybe the hard floor, dedicated cupboard or elevated position helped.

Now I have a floor standing rack I do aim to wheel it out to the door and blast some air through it from time to time. Annually sounds like a good plan.

We are getting a dog in a few weeks so that may change things!

As long as temp is fine, I do nothing... though I may have vacuumed the logo (above). I've read a few posts where a cleaning disrupted NAS integrity. I'm unsure if the drive connectors were fouled in the process, or whether the unit was restarted too soon before it dried out.

Though it acts at times as a inexpensive HEPA Air Cleaner, I find its best to just take it off line, take the cover off (depending upon model) and use compressed air to give it a thorough clean. Don't allow the Fans to spin freely when using air... as it will damage the bearings... just place a something between the blades to stop it from spinning. Wipe down the rest. Same as I need to do with my PC...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.