Whenever I'm tempted, I turn and flee towards better things

Currently reading
Whenever I'm tempted, I turn and flee towards better things

Telos

Subscriber
NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
OK... now that DSM 7 is out, and although I've told myself to stay away until at least v7.1... Like a moth to a flame, I'm drawn in to install that loathed upgrade which will likely wreak havoc on all my 3rd-party tools (Syncovery, Duplicacy, Rclone, Plex...) as well as my Docker, CalDAV, CardDAV, and Joplin use. Although I've managed to keep my distance from the beta releases, I feel my will weakening...

To combat that urge, I set up a Raspberry Pi unit today... my first... with my initial effort to get AdguardHome running on my network (after an ill-fated go of it culminating in a loss of my entire Docker setup... coincidence or not).

Hopefully this will keep me far away from the DSM upgrade. With no particular destination in mind, I hope to get Docker and a VPN server running on the RPi. Who knows... maybe it will replace my 213j!

Just curious if there are other RPi tinkerers among folks here... and how you use your berry.

Ooh, isn't this a heinous crime, discussing Pi matters on these boards?!? I guess we'll be summarily Shot at Dawn or some such.
I have a Pi, yes. Doesn't get used for much thought, just a PiHole setup and displaycameras to show a few cameras on during the day.
Like you, I have often been tempted to move the VPN server tothe Pi, but haven't got around to it yet. Could be a good idea though as, like you, the Desire to upgrade a NAS will soon trump the Good Sense that says to wait...

First of all, the RPI is a wonderful piece of mini SBC and everyone should have one (or five).
The good thing about tinkering with it is by the time you've tried various OSes and use cases for it, DSM 7.0.1 might be close by ;)
I'm only using my RPI now for natively running Home Assistant (hassos or whatever it's refrerred to) as it was failing hard (after an initial few weeks of working perfectly) in both the native app and docker. Everything else still runs on my NAS.
(note to self: migrate native plex to dockerized to prepare for DSM 7)

Ooh, isn't this a heinous crime, discussing Pi matters on these boards?!?
:) It's the Lounge, stretch out and relax!

My R-Pi is, I think, a 3B. While it can do so much more, what I use it for is to connect to my weather station's USB interface to retrieve the stream of events. It uses Weewx to read events and convert them into reports on a web portal. I also wrote PERL code to export the database and create a set of web pages that are more to my liking.

The strength of the R-Pi is the small cost to create a dedicated appliance that addresses a unique need.

Hopefully this will keep me far away from the DSM upgrade. With no particular destination in mind, I hope to get Docker and a VPN server running on the RPi. Who knows... maybe it will replace my 213j!
Since I haven't used DSM7 yet, I wouldn't know if a RPi would stop *you* from going to the dark side. All I can say is I almost broke a window throwing it across the Lanai cos I got so frustrated with it! I'm a geek and a programmer, but not THAT much of a geek it seems. I could never visualize how to use it for anything my iMac (or now my Synology) couldn't do better. I know people use it for things like PiHole, etc, but I can't see running wires to it and having it sitting on my desk just doing that...

Last edited:
Once you head over to DSM7, you will be surprised that the Reverse Proxy configuration is hidden in the "advanced" tab of the "login portal".

Pihole with its own build-in dns server has advantages over AdguardHome. It allows you to mange A, AAAA and CNAME records for any domain resolved to any ip. I used to it leverage wildcard letsencrypt certificates in my homelab.
-- post merged: --

I hope to get Docker and a VPN server running on the RPi.
I did use docker on ubuntu 18.04 on a RPi in the past - the setup is identical to setting up docker on x86_64. You can even rund the VPN server in a container if you like :)

I did use docker on ubuntu 18.04 on a RPi in the past - the setup is identical to setting up docker on x86_64. You can even rund the VPN server in a container if you like
All is good on the RPi... but there is a scarcity of arm images... or at least ones that appeal to me. I'm looking to run Vaultwarden next.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back